Same old Story

Indian

1-The reasoning then wouldn't matter now, neither does the aid offered. Goodpasture and a large portion of the others would at the least, be competitive against the current Division II, A, programs. Several at the top would be equal or better overall. I can't say that any more simply.

2-Some regions already are similar in distance to travel. Baseball and softball regions, not at a pre-planned site and instead home or away, could be further than the distance from Nashville to Jackson. Check out a potential baseball game between Sequoyah from District 5AA and Grundy from District 6AA. Sectionals certainly are,long trips quite often. This is the postseason I'm talking about, Nashville to Jackson, so not all teams would be involved and the travel would be a once every two years event-with either district hosting. They would not have to play in the regular season.

3-I'm sure they'd be televised if there was money to be made and sponsors to be found. I don't think back to back days in soccer exhaust any high school athlete who is fit to be on the field. The reasoning behind Baylor/TR, etc was the small amount of private schools in Division II. Same problem as now, of course with all private schools in Division II the problem would be fixed. They did divide small and large Division II even with the small amount of teams so you should have no further gripe about that subject.

I lied. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

In a previous post my opinion was pointless and now the reasoning that financial aid is an advantage does not matter(huh?), does anyone have a right to an opinion that differs from yours? Please quit trying to tell me what is best for the school that I support especially when you refuse to accept that someone else's perspective may be different from yours.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lied. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

In a previous post my opinion was pointless and now the reasoning that financial aid is an advantage does not matter(huh?), does anyone have a right to an opinion that differs from yours? Please quit trying to tell me what is best for the school that I support especially when you refuse to accept that someone else's perspective may be different from yours.

No, I wrote the section about the TSSAA (no Division II TV, which I could see changing if all joined and there was more interest in the finals in that division; soccer, etc) was pointless.

The financial aid does not matter when it comes to comparing the current Division I privates to the current Division II, Class A programs such as Davidson Academy and SAS.

Do you still think the Jackson to Nashville region tournament is such a bad idea even when there are already similar situations? I did notice you cut out the Nashville to Memphis, Knoxville theory, thanks for paying attention on that part.

Which school do you support?

Indian.

I know we have a differnt opinion on this issue and I respect yours...but I had a thought reading your post above on aid...the fact that some privates could be competitive in Division II is really no reason to put them there unloess you are ready to say classification should have nothing to do with size but should be based on competitiveness...some 2 A public schools could be competitive in 3 or 4 A...

Providing financial aid might give a student the opportunity to attend a school that he/she could not afford otherwise.

If that student is an athlete and one private school offers financial aid and another private school does not, that could be a competitive advantage but it is not always an apples-to-apples comparison. For example if a great athlete could (hypothetically) attend Baylor for $1,000 after financial aid or Boyd for $6,000 with no aid (all others factors being equal), it would make sense that that individual would choose Baylor.

Does giving financial aid provide MBA, BA, etc. with a competitive advantage over Riverdale, Maryville, etc? D2 was created because the TSSAA Board of Control said it was an advantage. I wonder why MBA had not won a state championship in football or basketball since the playoff system started until D2 was created. I wonder why MUS and McCallie had never won a state championship in football until D2. Historically, I don't see a huge advantage/disadvantage.

To give you a specific example, the competitive advantage in athletics that I would concern me would be, for example, FRA or Lipscomb offering financial aid to athletes and CPA not offering financial aid to athletes.

Is that ambiguous enough? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Isn't the mantra for most private school supporters...that those students would attend their school anyway? How many times has it been said..."our kids have been here since grade school" ? How many times has it been said "our kids attend for academics...athletics are not a factor" ? Do private school parents look at whether their child can play athletics when deciding what school to attend? That is...the very few that do get some aid.

I really expect FRA to go to DII...and I really think they should. They charge just as much about as much to attend as BA...MBA...Ensworth and other elite college prep schools.

Indian.

I know we have a differnt opinion on this issue and I respect yours...but I had a thought reading your post above on aid...the fact that some privates could be competitive in Division II is really no reason to put them there unloess you are ready to say classification should have nothing to do with size but should be based on competitiveness...some 2 A public schools could be competitive in 3 or 4 A...

The difference is there would just be a few teams in 2A who could do that, while the best current Division I privates could walk over most anybody in Division II, Class A, right now, and taking a quick look at the list, I'd say at least half if not more could be competitive against those teams if not beat them. The losers in this situation would be the current Division II, Class A teams, going from winning titles or at least contending, to having to scrape and fight for everything.

Isn't the mantra for most private school supporters...that those students would attend their school anyway? How many times has it been said..."our kids have been here since grade school" ? How many times has it been said "our kids attend for academics...athletics are not a factor" ? Do private school parents look at whether their child can play athletics when deciding what school to attend? That is...the very few that do get some aid.

I really expect FRA to go to DII...and I really think they should. They charge just as much about as much to attend as BA...MBA...Ensworth and other elite college prep schools.

Yes, "our kids have been here since grade school" has been heard a lot.

Yes, "our kids attend for academics...athletics are not a factor" has been heard a lot.

"Do private school parents look at whether their child can play athletics when deciding what school to attend?" Yes, I assume some parents do.

I guess where I see providing financial aid as an advantage is if a school uses financial aid to specifically attract athletes. Has this happened in the past and does it happen now? I don't have absolute proof that it has happened or does happen. However, I would never say absolutely that it has never or would never happen.

The difference is there would just be a few teams in 2A who could do that, while the best current Division I privates could walk over most anybody in Division II, Class A, right now, and taking a quick look at the list, I'd say at least half if not more could be competitive against those teams if not beat them. The losers in this situation would be the current Division II, Class A teams, going from winning titles or at least contending, to having to scrape and fight for everything.

but my question was...is does being good alone enough reason to be reclassified...I am not here ot argue who has advantages or any other issue...your statement was since they could win there they should be moved there...if that is the reason for reclassification, then any 2a school who could win at a sport in 3A for instance should be moved there...

Yes, "our kids have been here since grade school" has been heard a lot.

Yes, "our kids attend for academics...athletics are not a factor" has been heard a lot.

"Do private school parents look at whether their child can play athletics when deciding what school to attend?" Yes, I assume some parents do.

I guess where I see providing financial aid as an advantage is if a school uses financial aid to specifically attract athletes. Has this happened in the past and does it happen now? I don't have absolute proof that it has happened or does happen. However, I would never say absolutely that it has never or would never happen.

Agreed. It would be interesting to know how many athletes have attended the same school since grade school. In other words...what is the number of kids that attend a specific school after...say...the 6th grade. How many attend CPA as opposed to how many attend BA under those parameters?

My child started attending private school at the age of 4 and now plays sports. Um, no at the age of 4 I was not interested in the sports aspect at all. Only trying to find a decent school for them to attend without 1) moving to Medina as half of Jackson has done or 2) having to put up with the politics/disorganization or the Jackson school system. We get no aid, both parents work 50 hour weeks, pay our full tuition while paying taxes for this school system so I can have the "priviledge" of driving to Covington and Ripley to pay district games and playing schools twice our size, and while there being threatened and having snide remarks about us thinking we are "better than everyone else." Seems fair to me ????

Agreed. It would be interesting to know how many athletes have attended the same school since grade school. In other words...what is the number of kids that attend a specific school after...say...the 6th grade. How many attend CPA as opposed to how many attend BA under those parameters?

Schools start at all different grade levels. For example in Nashville, MBA starts at 7th grade and BA starts at 6th grade. Ensworth has a lower school which runs through 8th and a high school which 9-12. Several schools go through 6th grade only like Oak Hill and some go through 8th grade like Harding Academy. Then, there are the parochial schools. CPA is K-12 as are FRA, DCA, Goodpasture, etc. So, it is hard to compare.

Schools start at all different grade levels. For example in Nashville, MBA starts at 7th grade and BA starts at 6th grade. Ensworth has a lower school which runs through 8th and a high school which 9-12. Several schools go through 6th grade only like Oak Hill and some go through 8th grade like Harding Academy. Then, there are the parochial schools. CPA is K-12 as are FRA, DCA, Goodpasture, etc. So, it is hard to compare.

Yeah...that's true. Let's just make it from the 9th grade on. How many start in those schools in the 9th grade? Is there an appreciable difference between aid and non-aid schools with those parameters?

Also...I wonder how many Goodpasture baseball and softball players have been at that school since kindergarten...or even since junior high?