Same old Story

Indian

I don't know where yall do your math at but x.8 doesn't change your numbers all that much , In fact most of the time your gonna play at the same level you would without the multiplier.

For example a school with 400 students would be multiplied to what 480.

Either way if you guys are that at that big of a disadvantage because of the multiplier go to D2 they won't multiply you there.

No - a school with 400 students plays at the multiplied number of 720. The multiplier is 1.8. 1 is the baseline index with the .8 being the 80% increase in enrollment to the baseline.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The cost of providing financial aid if you expect to compete on a level plain. I am not talking about competing with MBA, BA or Ensworth. I am talking about competing with Goodpasture, FRA and Davidson Academy.

2. The cost of travel. You say it would not be a problem. I disagree. Nashville teams playing district or region games in Chattanooga, Memphis or Knoxville.

3. Given the TSSAA's history of treating D2 like a red-headed stepchild, I would not want to be in that situation.

1-Competing on a level plain with who? Davidson Academy, BGA, Sewanee? Many of your current Division I privates would be favored right now in most sports against the current Division II, A privates. Students who do receive aid at current Division I privates, right now they're supposed to be ineligible for varsity sports, would be eligible. That should be another plus. Chattanooga Christian for one claims financial aid is available for their school.

2-In the smaller class, Nashville teams wouldn't be playing in district or region games against Chattanooga, Memphis or Knoxville. They'd have their own local districts or regions, whatever they'd be termed, with regions against Jackson or midstate teams.

3-Pointless.

My last response -

1. The reasoning behind the creation of D2 was that providing financial aid gave schools like MBA, BA, etc. a competitive advantage. My assumption is that if private schools were all in D2 financial aid for athletes would be allowed. So, schools that did not provide financial aid would have a competitive disadvantage playing against schools that did provide financial aid.

2. You proved my point. Jackson is 120 miles from Nashville.

3. Here are a few examples - D1 football championships are televised. D2's are not. D1 basketball championships are televised. D2's are not. D2 soccer semifinals and finals played on back-to-back days. Until 2003-2004, all sports in D2 except football had only one classification. So, Baylor and Tipton-Rosemark were in the same class in baseball, basketball, soccer, etc.

By the way, I may question your facts but I do put down your opinions are pointless. I would appreciate the same consideration.

My last response -

1. The reasoning behind the creation of D2 was that providing financial aid gave schools like MBA, BA, etc. a competitive advantage. My assumption is that if private schools were all in D2 financial aid for athletes would be allowed. So, schools that did not provide financial aid would have a competitive disadvantage playing against schools that did provide financial aid.

3. Here are a few examples - D1 football championships are televised. D2's are not. D1 basketball championships are televised. D2's are not. D2 soccer semifinals and finals played on back-to-back days. Until 2003-2004, all sports in D2 except football had only one classification. So, Baylor and Tipton-Rosemark were in the same class in baseball, basketball, soccer, etc.

By the way, I may question your facts but I do put down your opinions are pointless. I would appreciate the same consideration.

Bh,

How does the offering of aid make those schools have a competitive advantage over non-aid schools? Do you agree with that assessment?

My last response -

1-The reasoning then wouldn't matter now, neither does the aid offered. Goodpasture and a large portion of the others would at the least, be competitive against the current Division II, A, programs. Several at the top would be equal or better overall. I can't say that any more simply.

2-Some regions already are similar in distance to travel. Baseball and softball regions, not at a pre-planned site and instead home or away, could be further than the distance from Nashville to Jackson. Check out a potential baseball game between Sequoyah from District 5AA and Grundy from District 6AA. Sectionals certainly are,long trips quite often. This is the postseason I'm talking about, Nashville to Jackson, so not all teams would be involved and the travel would be a once every two years event-with either district hosting. They would not have to play in the regular season.

3-I'm sure they'd be televised if there was money to be made and sponsors to be found. I don't think back to back days in soccer exhaust any high school athlete who is fit to be on the field. The reasoning behind Baylor/TR, etc was the small amount of private schools in Division II. Same problem as now, of course with all private schools in Division II the problem would be fixed. They did divide small and large Division II even with the small amount of teams so you should have no further gripe about that subject.

Bh,

How does the offering of aid make those schools have a competitive advantage over non-aid schools? Do you agree with that assessment?

Providing financial aid might give a student the opportunity to attend a school that he/she could not afford otherwise.

If that student is an athlete and one private school offers financial aid and another private school does not, that could be a competitive advantage but it is not always an apples-to-apples comparison. For example if a great athlete could (hypothetically) attend Baylor for $1,000 after financial aid or Boyd for $6,000 with no aid (all others factors being equal), it would make sense that that individual would choose Baylor.

Does giving financial aid provide MBA, BA, etc. with a competitive advantage over Riverdale, Maryville, etc? D2 was created because the TSSAA Board of Control said it was an advantage. I wonder why MBA had not won a state championship in football or basketball since the playoff system started until D2 was created. I wonder why MUS and McCallie had never won a state championship in football until D2. Historically, I don't see a huge advantage/disadvantage.

To give you a specific example, the competitive advantage in athletics that I would concern me would be, for example, FRA or Lipscomb offering financial aid to athletes and CPA not offering financial aid to athletes.

Is that ambiguous enough? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

If you look up the term "Ad nauseam" in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, there's a reference to this website. This string is like a room in an alzheimer's unit where all the patients continually repeat the same thing over and over and over again. Is there a recorded instance of anyone ever changing their opinion on this issue?

If you look up the term "Ad nauseam" in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, there's a reference to this website. This string is like a room in an alzheimer's unit where all the patients continually repeat the same thing over and over and over again. Is there a recorded instance of anyone ever changing their opinion on this issue?

Actually, mine - slightly. I'm a public school supporter (Mt. Juliet). I've never had a beef with the local privates that have taken decent athletes - FCS, DCS, GP - but I felt like the multiplier rules were fair, IMO. However, I've come to the realization that the rule may not have merit as it isn't being applied consistently and fairly. My biggest beef is the NON-application to schools like Alcoa and Maryville. Both have VERY similar quailities private schools without the private school price tags.

I now feel that privates are being singled out as a result of prejudice - the have's vs. the have not's. At the most basic level, there is no other explanation as to why the privates would be singled out with such viciousness while others who are "guilty" of the same performance and practices skates by with a relative whimper. That whimper being caused by being a very small speed bump on the way to their virtually guaranteed championships. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

If you pay money to go to private schools, the public schools should not have to play you to win a state championship---bottom line. Maybe one day the TSSAA will get it right.

If your taxes are paying for seats at the public school - whether you pay for private school tuition or not - you should be allowed to participate with everyone. Maybe one day you'll get past your prejudice. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

If you pay money to go to private schools, the public schools should not have to play you to win a state championship---bottom line. Maybe one day the TSSAA will get it right.

why not put all private schools DIV II Bigs with bigs and little ones with little ones even a division for those that give aid making it 3 divisions all together

you can still compete with publics regular season just not in the playoffs you compete with the other privates and publics vs publics

that way those who go public play public and those who want private are private

"If your taxes are paying for seats at the public school - whether you pay for private school tuition or not - you should be allowed to participate with everyone. Maybe one day you'll get past your prejudice."

now let me get this right you send your child to private school for them to be afforded better options than at public school, but still yet you want to compete against them on the sports fields, but your kids are to good to go to school with our kids

"If your taxes are paying for seats at the public school - whether you pay for private school tuition or not - you should be allowed to participate with everyone. Maybe one day you'll get past your prejudice."

now let me get this right you send your child to private school for them to be afforded better options than at public school, but still yet you want to compete against them on the sports fields, but your kids are to good to go to school with our kids

Actually, my kids attend public school. My taxes give my children the right to participate against others in organized sports sponsored at the public (public = government) level. Someone else that pays the same taxes but chooses another educational option should have the same right to compete against them. Their burden definitely isn't any less in terms of financial obligations to the public system.

why not put all private schools DIV II Bigs with bigs and little ones with little ones even a division for those that give aid making it 3 divisions all together

you can still compete with publics regular season just not in the playoffs you compete with the other privates and publics vs publics

that way those who go public play public and those who want private are private

You ask "why not?" I ask "why do that at all?" At least, not until the rules are fairly applied to all schools - not just applied to the private schools. Really - the best option would be a merit system. The problem with that type of solution, the public dominators do NOT want it because it would effectively end their total domination. That is why that does not garner more support.