class 1 a

smsewell

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by creekercalhoun:

East tennessee is the best basketball in the state. The Rangers are the best team in 1-A this year. Unaka and temple will be the game of the year. Its on the creek this year. So we'll see how good the state champs are when they play the rangers in late november.

I couldnt agree with u more (CREEKER)

there usually are some good 1A games around here like usually Tennesse Temple and Pickett County but the talk this year is Unaka highschool VS Tennessee Temple cant wait to see how it turns out

Well really the thread started by whos gonna be the best team in 1A to watch out..I listed my predictions and someone posted Goodpasture. I didnt think that Goodpasutre would be a team to beat because they dont play as a "team"..its a me first type deal and most people will agree that it rubbs off from the coaching staff. The coaches take responsibilty for how well or bad their team plays so its the coaches responsiblity for not having them play together..They obviously have good talent there but the me first attitude wont work.

Coach Reece could win with 12 year olds in the YMCA league, of course he had talent and lots of it but he didnt always have those three he was successful after Sam Howard, Ron Mercer (Left for Oak Hill Academy) and Drew Maddux graduated..Sorry to step on toes but from watching Goodpasture play the last two years they play with a arrogence that comes from the coaches. You're right I dont know the coach but I've seen the team play numerous times and its nowhere near how it should be playing. Goodpasture has good tradition for boys basketball. All I'm saying is they should have more pride and look on the walls of the guys who played before them.

Posted by mortimer:

You guys who are ripping the Goodpasture program are forgetting one huge detail. Mercer, Maddux, and Howard are history. They were no doubt three of the finest athletes to come out of the school, but they aren't there anymore. So what, the team now is cocky, that is their business and their problem to deal with. If you don't think they should be "a team to watch" then post it. I personally don't know Reece, but it is a lot easier to have class and take pride in a program with three division 1 athletes. Maybe the new coach is trying to instill pride and unity the best way he knows how...who knows? But why rip the new coach when you don't even know who he is? Lay off, this thread was supposed to be about teams to watch, not coaches who you think classify as cocky and unclassy.

I do know Edwards at Goodpasture and his young sidekick. Edwards needs to have more pride in his school, but his arrogance and me first attitude hurt his team. They see him acting that way so the kids think that its alright to do the same. He was the same way at friendship christian. I'm not takeing shots to at Goodpasture, I'm just stating why their program is down. The kids can see through coaches and they see how child like the one they have is.

Posted by scout15:

i think temple will definetly repeat they won with skogan and wadley last year i dont see why they wont again.

Its hard for a team to win the state tournament back to back no matter how good of a team u have i believe though as CALHOUN was saying in his last post about unaka beating temple everybody knows when u go play at unaka they always give u a game they have 2 star players comming back. The chambers and collins kid I watched them at the games down here last year when they played boyd buchannan and temple and they are tough. but with the loss or jeron williams, he just seemed to always get the flow going in the game and controled the game so well its gonna be hard repeating the state championship 2 times in a row.

• 4 weeks later...

You have to respect Paul Kamikawa's Tigers... There arent many better than Preston Gallagher our 6'2 wing.... He is our candidate for All State... How many 1A teams can say look at our 6'7 post player? Not many, but the tigers can anh T Davis has the ability to dominate a game... Also Harvest the transfer from Oak Ridge has unbelivable talent... The Tigers also can go as many as 12 deep.... they are a team to watch out for...