(Hypothetical) TSSAA boycott

sportsfan93

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we're at it, lets get rid of the NCAA. What's wrong with these people. They're actually trying to make those poor athletes go to class and get and education and just think, if we get rid of the police departsments, we won't have to pay a fine for speeding or running a stop sign. Hypothetically, of course.

Maybe you can fix the athletic problems of the state high school associations. You probably work with the organization or for a school with one of those $50,000 budgets. This has nothing to do with NCAA, education or social order, it has to do with fixing the problems you hear people talk about everyday. I said hypothetical to allow people to have a little fun yet talk about. Maybe if you were head of TSSAA, it would never rain on game day, all kids would show up on time, no one would ever get injured, the home team would always win, and fields would never require maintenance.

I guess we'll never know cause we aren't even allowed to talk "Hypothetically" without getting made fun of! Good thing we don't have police to worry about!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Exactly!!! There are plenty of "other choices" out there... apparently, for most schools those choices aren't as appealing as playing under the umbrella of the TSSAA. There are several independent conferences and leagues across the state in which schools compete. Trouble is, championships and titles won in those independent leagues don't carry the same prestige as winning a TSSAA championship or title. It's ironic that Schools choose to be members of the TSSAA. Schools elect the members of the Board of Control. The Board of Control establish guidelines, implements and enforces the rules and regulations. So in effect you have a situation where the schools are governing themselves and they want to do nothing but complain. Therefore they are complaining about themselves. Nice!

Name any other organization that has more than 4 or 5 teams that only compete in that organization. There is no viable option. I don't want out of the TSSAA, just to get some that use common sense running it. I am a coach and nobody has ever let me vote for a member of the board of control. Examples of no common sense.

1. Not letting Sonny Gray play in all-star game last fall.

2. The ridiculous 50% rule.

3. Not allowing all players on a team to get into the state tournament.

4. Charging 2 year old kids to get into state tournament.

5. Charging people to park that don't even park in the designated parking areas.

Just a few. These are all common sense.

Name any other organization that has more than 4 or 5 teams that only compete in that organization. There is no viable option. I don't want out of the TSSAA, just to get some that use common sense running it. I am a coach and nobody has ever let me vote for a member of the board of control. Examples of no common sense.

1. Not letting Sonny Gray play in all-star game last fall.

2. The ridiculous 50% rule.

3. Not allowing all players on a team to get into the state tournament.

4. Charging 2 year old kids to get into state tournament.

5. Charging people to park that don't even park in the designated parking areas.

Just a few. These are all common sense.

You are right... coaches don't vote for BOC members.

Article III, Section 2 TSSAA Constitution:

Elections: The election of members of the Board of Control shall take place in an annual meeting of the schools of each Grand Division. Nominations shall come from within the district of the member whose term is expiring, and only the members of that Athletic District may vote for their representative on the Board of Control. Each member school of the Athletic District that is represented at the meeting by the principal, or other faculty member, shall be entitled to one vote. In the event of a tie vote, the tie will be broken by a vote of the schools in that Grand Division of the state attending the regional meeting.

As a coach, if you have a gripe, address it with your administrator so that they can share your concern at their annual meeting. If you can get the other coaches within your Grand Division to follow suit, you may just be able to get someone elected that you feel will speak for you. However, I guess the first question would be... have you contacted your BOC representative to voice your concerns and hear his/her response? My instinct tells me "NO"......

You are right... coaches don't vote for BOC members.

Article III, Section 2 TSSAA Constitution:

Elections: The election of members of the Board of Control shall take place in an annual meeting of the schools of each Grand Division. Nominations shall come from within the district of the member whose term is expiring, and only the members of that Athletic District may vote for their representative on the Board of Control. Each member school of the Athletic District that is represented at the meeting by the principal, or other faculty member, shall be entitled to one vote. In the event of a tie vote, the tie will be broken by a vote of the schools in that Grand Division of the state attending the regional meeting.

As a coach, if you have a gripe, address it with your administrator so that they can share your concern at their annual meeting. If you can get the other coaches within your Grand Division to follow suit, you may just be able to get someone elected that you feel will speak for you. However, I guess the first question would be... have you contacted your BOC representative to voice your concerns and hear his/her response? My instinct tells me "NO"......

Well your instincts would be wrong. First 2 on my list were addressed by me. Last 3 were things that happened this year at state tournament that will be addressed with my principal the next time I see him. Not just on here throwing shots at anybody.

Well your instincts would be wrong. First 2 on my list were addressed by me. Last 3 were things that happened this year at state tournament that will be addressed with my principal the next time I see him. Not just on here throwing shots at anybody.

I think the rules set for the spring fling should really be addressed. Very simple solutions, really. Ease up on parking away from the stadium. Raise age rules for charging. All players get in free. I didnt know this was happening. This might top my most idiotic rule list. Let the football teams get 40 players in and charge the rest. Sounds stupid, but that is evidently what is happening in baseball. A kid plays all year and then has to pay to sit on his bench. Mr. Carter, and the board, are you reading any of these valid complaints?

i agree with you on those 2 issues especially the 50%rule i see no advantage to that rule... on the sonny rule it is not going to hurt him one way or the other it was just tough luck school started when it did can they make a change there?...sure but if they did what effect would it have on some of the other issues that that rule is suppose to stop...i really dont know...the 50%rule is just bad it hurts kids that WANT to work...you do reallize though that they charge 2 year olds at every state championship event and this is not a new rule ive paid it for football and ive charged it the past 3 years in baseball i do not agree with it but it is not a new rule i think 6 year olds are fair at least they are in school

I'm not sure the 6 year olds should be charged either, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere I guess. It's cheaper than a baby sitter. The way I do it is budget how much I'm going to spend at the game admission and concessions combined. They're going to make the same amount of money from me either way if I take my kids.

I think I'm already on record saying I wish the dead period was from Memorial Day to the middle of July. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

I don't necessarily disagree with giving the kids their summers back, but I'm also not naive enough to think the need is limited to just the high school coaches. Who's overseeing AAU and travel ball?

I have probably said this over 1000 times but the dead period is a "COMMUNIST RULE" that was put in place to keep those that work harder and longer than everyone else in check. With that being said, if the member schools want a dead period it should start the 1st Sunday after exams are completed and run for 14 days. The idea of having a dead period from the end of June until after July 4 is crazy because you start your Summer workouts and then stop for the dead period and then start back again. You can tell that the idiots that made this rule know very little about strength & conditioning and how difficult it is on the athletes to stop and start all of the time. Strength training should be first and formost to prevent injuries of the athletes during athletic competition and practice, so now we know who has the athletes best interest at heart and it's not the TSSAA.

The way that schools can get around (yes their is a loophole) the 3 week dead period at the end of the season is to form a Powerlifting Team within the school for "ALL STUDENTS" and start working out after football any time that you wish. For schools that wanted to charge a fee to the public (including students) for using the weightroom I am not sure that the TSSAA could force them to close their athletic facilities during the dead period of June & July. If the schools ran this like a business or community center and charge the fee I am not sure the TSSAA and their legal team would want to challange the school for operating a business.