Speaking of good coaches

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Homerj

I'm curious how many workstudies have been given out over the past few years during their recent success? I know for a fact of a kid at another private school been given a workstudy in order to pay for the tuition.

I've read this discussion with growing interest the last couple of days. The conclusion I have come to is that all of you are partly right. As with most areas of contention, if you look at the two opposite opinions, the 'truth' usually lies somewhere in the middle.

No coach can win championships without talent on the team. But a great coach can take a mediocre team, and achieve much more with them than a coach that is not as knowledgable.

Conversely, no team can win championships without a good coach. All the talent in the world will only yield as much as the coach can motivate and guide them into performing.

Does it take a great coach to have a good team? It depends on the talent level. Simply, the relative greatness of the team is dependant on the interplay between the coach and the players.

I don't really "have a dog in this hunt," but it does seem like an easy way to provide a little financial aid on the side. I'm sure most of the programs and players really do the work and earn the money, but it is an easy way to "fudge" a little on the issue. For hard working middle class parents, this may be a great program, I guess it is really up to whomever is in charge of supervision as to the amount of work completed verses the amount of money provided for the services.

Guest Homerj

That's not too fair. So if I'm a stand out football player or basketball player and I can't afford to go to a private school they can say hey sweep the floor before practice every day and we'll call it even.

HomerJ...how many people do you know who do work study? How many times do you see them do it? How do you know what they do? Let's go on the basis that a school might actually make an athlete work for his tution, like they are supposed to do. Does anyone know any schools that actually do have work study?

Guest Homerj

I know of 3 schools that do the work study program. These are not made up nor am I saying I know everything that is going into the work study. I am merely saying I know of 3 schools doing it for a fact. How are we to know the amount of work a student/athlete does for this study? Is there a governing body that is trying to oversee these rules? I am simply asking if anyone else knows any more information concerning these programs.

I actually wrote that post, Cocky is my brother's name.

I support a Division 2-AA school, and we have p played several private school teams who might have work study (including BA) or give scholarships...I never at all wanted to argue about that, or get mad at them for that...Football is a team game, I remember Quincy Carter gave up pro baseball and went back to football cus he said how much of a team concept it was. I don't think one player makes a difference, notice I said ONE ELA not 3 or 4 like you think makes a difference (which it probably does in 1A). Look at Red Bank, they had Gerald Riggs...one of the best players in the nation and still didn't do as well as they hoped. Then look at Maryville, many good players, but not many went D1, if any...I'm not sure if Tn Tech is (the fact that I'm not sure says something right there). I can see how work study might be a big deal if a kid was a basketball player (lets be honest if you have the next Michael Jordan on your team you will probabl beat anyone), but football wise I just don't buy that concept, Memphis East and Melrose have some of the best athletes and college players out there, but it doesn't always translate into state championships...