Gas Prices and Summer Practice

Solomon

I've heard a few folks talk about the gas prices were keeping some players from being able to participate in summer workouts because of costs.

I was just wondering if any of you seen this with your school and if any of you had found creative ways to make sure all the guys can make work-outs.

Solly, when I worked for the MPD I was assigned to the housing authority. I remember giving a couple of Red Rebel football players bikes during the summer before the '98 State Championship season. They rode those bikes back and forth to the high school all summer. They were both starters and one went D-1.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solly, when I worked for the MPD I was assigned to the housing authority. I remember giving a couple of Red Rebel football players bikes during the summer before the '98 State Championship season. They rode those bikes back and forth to the high school all summer. They were both starters and one went D-1.

That is a TSSAA violation. I'm sure that wasn't the intent.

Now I know I'm going to "slammed" for some of my comments here, but I'm probably one of the "senior" citizens on this board.

When I played, most kids didn't even have a car, so we didn't have to worry about gas prices.

I know one player who litterally walked to practice every day over 5 miles to attend practice during the summer.

You can walk a mile easily (if you're young and in shape) in about 15 minutes, so he left home approx 1 hr. 15 minutes before practice started.

Sometimes he got a ride home somtimes not. But one thing is for certain..........he was an animal as far as being in shape.

Some rode their bikes (i did) and some got rides.

Then we came home and did chores. We didn't go to the rec, Y, mall or whatever.

We didn't have cable, cell phones, text messaging or internet.

No playstation, x box etc.

No $100-$150 tennis shoes. No "designer" clothing. Hand me downs worked just fine.

I remember the first time I asked my Mom and Dad for "sweat bands". Their answer: "you want what?!"

"You play football, you're going to sweat"! Is that band going to make to hit somebody harder?"

Brothers and/or sisters shared bedooms.

Most everybody grew their own vegetables, canned them and ate them all year.

Going out to eat a hamburger at a fast food place was a "special event" not the norm.

Growing up we had 5 people in our family 16 or older ( MOM, DAD, 2 BOYS, 1 GIRL), but we only had one nice "family" car and an old truck. Now days, that same family think they need 5-6 vehicles.

"Maybe it's not so much gas prices? Maybe it's that many try to live beyond we really need"?

As my high school coach used to say: "If you want to play, you'll find a way"! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Now I know I'm going to "slammed" for some of my comments here, but I'm probably one of the "senior" citizens on this board.

When I played, most kids didn't even have a car, so we didn't have to worry about gas prices.

I know one player who litterally walked to practice every day over 5 miles to attend practice during the summer.

You can walk a mile easily (if you're young and in shape) in about 15 minutes, so he left home approx 1 hr. 15 minutes before practice started.

Sometimes he got a ride home somtimes not. But one thing is for certain..........he was an animal as far as being in shape.

Some rode their bikes (i did) and some got rides.

Then we came home and did chores. We didn't go to the rec, Y, mall or whatever.

We didn't have cable, cell phones, text messaging or internet.

No playstation, x box etc.

No $100-$150 tennis shoes. No "designer" clothing. Hand me downs worked just fine.

I remember the first time I asked my Mom and Dad for "sweat bands". Their answer: "you want what?!"

"You play football, you're going to sweat"! Is that band going to make to hit somebody harder?"

Brothers and/or sisters shared bedooms.

Most everybody grew their own vegetables, canned them and ate them all year.

Going out to eat a hamburger at a fast food place was a "special event" not the norm.

Growing up we had 5 people in our family 16 or older ( MOM, DAD, 2 BOYS, 1 GIRL), but we only had one nice "family" car and an old truck. Now days, that same family think they need 5-6 vehicles.

"Maybe it's not so much gas prices? Maybe it's that many try to live beyond we really need"?

As my high school coach used to say: "If you want to play, you'll find a way"! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Are you telling us that gas being 3.85 to 3.90 a gallon isnt a problem... even worse high school football is a year around sport and kids that get jobs cant work hardly any hours and on top of that they get paid maybe 7.00 dollars an hour and then some of them have to pay insurance on their car which is at least 80.00 dollars a month i think that is the problem... were did you play football at?

Are you telling us that gas being 3.85 to 3.90 a gallon isnt a problem... even worse high school football is a year around sport and kids that get jobs cant work hardly any hours and on top of that they get paid maybe 7.00 dollars an hour and then some of them have to pay insurance on their car which is at least 80.00 dollars a month i think that is the problem... were did you play football at?

No, I'm not saying that gas prices aren't an issue. What I'm saying is that as a society, we tend to "want" more now than when I was a teenager. At my first real job I made $1.15/hr and gas was like .75 a gallon. Still a good portion of my hourly rate.

Proud to say I played for Coach Cartwright at Columbia Central High School.

That is a TSSAA violation. I'm sure that wasn't the intent.

Not so fast my friend. You are assuming that I only gave 2 bikes away and that they got them because they were football players. We had a government grant (HUD) to give bikes to all the kids in public housing that wanted them. This topic was about getting to practice w/ high gas prices. Since the football players were the only ones that went to practice, I only mentioned them. I could talk about the kids that rode to the pool, library or store but I will mention that in the pool, library, and store forum. I say good day...

Not so fast my friend. You are assuming that I only gave 2 bikes away and that they got them because they were football players. We had a government grant (HUD) to give bikes to all the kids in public housing that wanted them. This topic was about getting to practice w/ high gas prices. Since the football players were the only ones that went to practice, I only mentioned them. I could talk about the kids that rode to the pool, library or store but I will mention that in the pool, library, and store forum. I say good day...

Red Rebulls...you iz nicer than me...Eye would onlee let futbawl starturs ride on tha back of Nellie Belle....