Murphy Fair 21st edition of TENNESSEE HS FOOTBALL

Sequatchie

I agree with muffin on this post

Nothing is keeping you or muffin from creating your own magazine covering high school football in Tennessee. I am sure it would be perfect. So instead of complaining about Murphy Fair, and the job that he does, why don't the two of you get off your tails and do it better.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing is keeping you or muffin from creating your own magazine covering high school football in Tennessee. I am sure it would be perfect. So instead of complaining about Murphy Fair, and the job that he does, why don't the two of you get off your tails and do it better.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Isn't the goal to try and sell the magazines??????? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Isn't the goal to try and sell the magazines??????? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Good point!

Because that's not muffin's job. It IS Murphy's job. He chose to produce his magazine for a living, and he has a whole year to do it.

For what it's worth...in the 4 years I've read Murphy's Fair it has been very inacurate. Whose fault is that? Who cares. The fact is, it is not the definitive read to keep up with athletes across the state. At best, it is a fairly comprehensive account of what the owner seems to feel are the 10 best athletes in the state. There is no one who researches the most interesting group of athletes...the ones flying under the radar. The ones who may or may not explode depending on their Senior season who for various reasons have eluded notiriety thus far. I mean it is easy to track the top 5% of D1 athletes. But that is just not the beef of the story. You say it is the coaches responsibility to get Murphy the data. Hogwash. What about the stellar athlete who has a deadbeat coach? Should the athlete fill out the survey himself. So, he goes under the radar. He gets lost. Murphy's Fair is not the investigative compliation that some newbies might think. I buy it thinking it will be better this year and each year it's the same thing. It's just another place you hope to see a familiar name. Investigative reporting...NOT.

Because that's not muffin's job. It IS Murphy's job. He chose to produce his magazine for a living, and he has a whole year to do it.

Then let me redirect what I said earlier. If you think you can do it better, then change jobs. Get off your tail and do it better. Better yet, go see Murphy and help him.

For what it's worth...in the 4 years I've read Murphy's Fair it has been very inacurate. Whose fault is that? Who cares. The fact is, it is not the definitive read to keep up with athletes across the state. At best, it is a fairly comprehensive account of what the owner seems to feel are the 10 best athletes in the state. There is no one who researches the most interesting group of athletes...the ones flying under the radar. The ones who may or may not explode depending on their Senior season who for various reasons have eluded notiriety thus far. I mean it is easy to track the top 5% of D1 athletes. But that is just not the beef of the story. You say it is the coaches responsibility to get Murphy the data. Hogwash. What about the stellar athlete who has a deadbeat coach? Should the athlete fill out the survey himself. So, he goes under the radar. He gets lost. Murphy's Fair is not the investigative compliation that some newbies might think. I buy it thinking it will be better this year and each year it's the same thing. It's just another place you hope to see a familiar name. Investigative reporting...NOT.

I, for one, think that Murphy does a good job with what he has to work with. He does simply rewrite what the coaches send him. It is unrealistic to expect players to write for themselves. Those deadbeat coaches need to be fired. They are not the fault of Murphy Fair. What are you talking about with the "ten best athletes in the state" comment? I find most schools to have multiple athletes in their stories. I have never heard that Murphy Fair claimed to be an "investigative reporter".

I, for one, think that Murphy does a good job with what he has to work with. He does simply rewrite what the coaches send him. It is unrealistic to expect players to write for themselves. Those deadbeat coaches need to be fired. They are not the fault of Murphy Fair. What are you talking about with the "ten best athletes in the state" comment? I find most schools to have multiple athletes in their stories. I have never heard that Murphy Fair claimed to be an "investigative reporter".

AGREE. How hard is it to turn in a list of questions to Murphy. It is a good book that the fans love to read.

Tennessee has roughly 300 High Schools with football programs, and giving good coverage to that many programs is a staggering task. With that large of a "field", one can't possibly personally attend everyone's games, so it is inevitable that Murphy's accuracy will be exactly as good as the information he gets from each school.

I think Murphy has performed a needed service for many years, and done it as well as I can imagine anyone doing it. And I see nothing wrong with his performance of this service being profitable (we do all have to eat, and that costs money).