Who is the best coach in state history?

Guest defref

Guitarman, be realistic. No one can bring Grundy County to the level that Marion was at in the early 90's. The old saying is you have to have horses to pull the wagon and Grundy don't have the horses like Portland, trousdale, and other AAA teams in middle Tennessee. Would Marion have been as good as they were without Eric Westmoreland and Anthony Martin, I think not.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see what your saying and I didn't mean to imply that Grundy would be at the level Marion was in the mid-90's with Westmoreland. Players like him only come along one a lifetime for a coach. I do think that Grundy can equal where Marion was during the 1980's. They play in one of the weakest 3-A regions in the state. They have a new school, new stadium and growing fan support. I don't know that they can win 3-state championships in 4-years, but I do think they can be competitive with the upper crust of 3-A teams.

Remember nobody gave Marion much of a chance in '92 against Brentwood and we all know how that came out. I've been to several games in Jasper, mostly when Colquitte was there. They were the best prepared, best coached and most disciplined unit I've ever seen.

Just my opinion.

btw, In discussing the best coaches I think there are a few current coaches that are noteworthy but have been left out. Wayne Hall at Tyner-I haven't seen anybody mention him yet I dont think, but Tyner was terrible for a number of years and he's done a nice job of turning things around there. However, I dont care much for him after he blasted Boyd 95-3 that year. Running toss sweeps when your up by 80 in the fourth quarter against an overmatched team is uncalled for.

Ralph Potter of McCallie - I usually go to the Baylor McCallie game every year and last year saw McCallie play three times. He's an excellent coach. His dad was an awesome coach too.

• 3 months later...
Guest MeanMachine

The whole staff at Kingsport DB is widely regerded as the best in the state. They can really get a lot out of the players and probably put in more hours than anybody. A lot of people say they approach it the same way small college coaches do.

He has the most victories of any coach in state history & is 8th nationally in wins.Coach Red Etter is either 10th or 11th nationally all-time.He has to get some recognition in this discussion as well.Carlton Flatt & Jake Rudolph of MUS are great coaches but there's always the "do they recruit or not" question that is brought up a lot.

You are wrong Bridgeport beat Stevenson in 1978 14 - 3. Stevenson was an area game and the years before state champion in Bridgeport's classifaction.If my memeory is correct there were 34 players on BP's team not under 20. Iknow I was in the pressbox that night for Ken. We are good friends and rivals. He is a great coach. I will say that he is deserving to be mentioned as one of the best coaches.

332 John Tucker (Parsons, TN; Tiptonville, TN; Hohenwald Lewis County, TN; Dickson, TN; Milan, TN; Dyer Gibson County, TN; Humboldt, TN), 1955-97 (332-132-10) [71.1%]

324 E.B. Etter (Chattanooga Central, TN; Chattanooga Baylor, TN), 1943-83 (324-102-13) [75.2%]

AT SAME SCHOOL

320 Carlton Flatt (Brentwood Academy, TN), 1971-98 (320-46-1) [87.5%]

288 Boyce Smith (Springfield, TN), 1928-72 (288-116-34) [69.6%]

Information from this website!

http://www.sportsfansofamerica.com/Records...l/HS/Coach1.htm

[Edited by BigSneaky on 11-9-02 4:25A]