Is the TSSAA treating D2 fairly?

PBandJ

In the interest of full disclosure, can you tell us the individuals who fall in to this category - "Baylor and McCallie have had some good players from around the south . . ."?

I know Frahn D'Anjou, who played football at Baylor in the mid 1990's, was from Vicksburg, Mississippi. At the time of his high school graduation, he was Chattanooga's all-time leading rusher. I think he signed with Mississippi State but not sure how much he played there. Not sure what happened to him after MSU. There have been a few other high-profile boarding students, but most of their good athletes that are not from Hamilton County are from North Georgia or somewhere in the local area. I'm sure someone with more specific knowledge could enlighten us.

I think that Baylor and McCallie are unique in that they are boarding schools (Tennessee Temple may be also), but that aspect of their environment has had very little to do with their athletic success IMHO.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's clear to me that the majority of public shools would prefer to boot the privates but will tolerate them because of economics. The privates tacitly agree to second class citizenship because of economics. When and if (both unlikely)

the economics of coexisting disappear, the privates will either get the boot or will be all shoved into DII. To Carter's everlasting credit, he's managed to keep two spouses together who've been on the edge of divorce since they had a shotgun marriage. Afterall, the man has to deal regularly with petty, mean spirited, jealous, incompetent and power crazed public school administrators and coaches. Oops! Sorry for the redundancies.

It's clear to me that the majority of public shools would prefer to boot the privates but will tolerate them because of economics. The privates tacitly agree to second class citizenship because of economics. When and if (both unlikely)

the economics of coexisting disappear, the privates will either get the boot or will be all shoved into DII. To Carter's everlasting credit, he's managed to keep two spouses together who've been on the edge of divorce since they had a shotgun marriage. Afterall, the man has to deal regularly with petty, mean spirited, jealous, incompetent and power crazed public school administrators and coaches. Oops! Sorry for the redundancies.

Nah...I don't think many public school supporters want privates in their class...economics or not.

Nah...I don't think many public school supporters want privates in their class...economics or not.

I agree. The full votes are always overwhelmingly slanted towards booting the privates. It's the BOC members that don't vote along the majority lines.

I know Frahn D'Anjou, who played football at Baylor in the mid 1990's, was from Vicksburg, Mississippi. At the time of his high school graduation, he was Chattanooga's all-time leading rusher. I think he signed with Mississippi State but not sure how much he played there. Not sure what happened to him after MSU. There have been a few other high-profile boarding students, but most of their good athletes that are not from Hamilton County are from North Georgia or somewhere in the local area. I'm sure someone with more specific knowledge could enlighten us.

I think that Baylor and McCallie are unique in that they are boarding schools (Tennessee Temple may be also), but that aspect of their environment has had very little to do with their athletic success IMHO.

Some I could think of off the top of my head are the Okpokowuruk brothers (linemen at Duke), Ron Anderson, basketball post at Kansas State, Jason Hall, former UT lineman who had NFL looks. Johnny Newman mentioned he's from Wyoming when he signed with Air Force, I don't know if he meant moved from there or was a boarding student. McClendon at UT was from Cleveland TN, there are other examples of out-of-county students whether they're boarding or just riding a lot of miles every morning and every evening. The point was the schools do get some good boarding athletes, not that they're recruited, but if such a recruitment did start just because there was no oversight then you might see some unstoppable programs.

D'Anjou originally signed with Austin Peay, thought he could play higher than 1-AA, walked on at Mississippi State, then went to UTC. He played quite a bit but I don't recall him as an impact player even at UTC. Very good high school player, though.

Someone needs to define for me what "undue influence" is.

It seems that, if we're going to punish schools for sending letters about practice to students who have committed to coming to a school but are not students at that school yet, then we should certainly do the same to schools whose administrators meet face to face with students who not only are not students at a school but also not even committed to going to that school.

Another article about this from the Jackson Sun:

http://www.jacksonsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...NEWS01/80701042

If you can believe this article, the Dad is interviewing at a couple of different schools, and keeping their options open. One of those options is not to transfer at all. This will be interesting to watch. I'm sure the coaches at the schools they are looking at are cringing. The Dad seems to be oblivious to how bad this looks, and a cynic might even believe that he brought this to the newsapapers in order to create more of an open market.

I think it's pretty unlikely that anything will happen TSSAA-wise. First off, it's softball, so it's not quite as intense as if something along these lines happened with football players. Second, I think someone has to file a formal complaint for TSSAA to investigate. Who would be likely to do that?

Another article about this from the Jackson Sun:

http://www.jacksonsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...NEWS01/80701042

If you can believe this article, the Dad is interviewing at a couple of different schools, and keeping their options open. One of those options is not to transfer at all. This will be interesting to watch. I'm sure the coaches at the schools they are looking at are cringing. The Dad seems to be oblivious to how bad this looks, and a cynic might even believe that he brought this to the newsapapers in order to create more of an open market.

I think it's pretty unlikely that anything will happen TSSAA-wise. First off, it's softball, so it's not quite as intense as if something along these lines happened with football players. Second, I think someone has to file a formal complaint for TSSAA to investigate. Who would be likely to do that?

I agree. The by-laws no longer say you can't transfer for athletic purposes. It may look bad...but I don't think

any rule has been broken.

Some I could think of off the top of my head are the Okpokowuruk brothers (linemen at Duke), Ron Anderson, basketball post at Kansas State, Jason Hall, former UT lineman who had NFL looks. Johnny Newman mentioned he's from Wyoming when he signed with Air Force, I don't know if he meant moved from there or was a boarding student. McClendon at UT was from Cleveland TN, there are other examples of out-of-county students whether they're boarding or just riding a lot of miles every morning and every evening. The point was the schools do get some good boarding athletes, not that they're recruited, but if such a recruitment did start just because there was no oversight then you might see some unstoppable programs.

D'Anjou originally signed with Austin Peay, thought he could play higher than 1-AA, walked on at Mississippi State, then went to UTC. He played quite a bit but I don't recall him as an impact player even at UTC. Very good high school player, though.

Indian,

Your claim was "I'm talking about specifically recruiting athletes, including out of state athletes." and then you don't back up your claim. You mentioned someone from Cleveland, TN - out of state. "Johnny Newman mentioned he's from Wyoming" - So, you do know is from. You also made the claim - "Baylor and McCallie have had some good players from around the south". Does "around the south" only include Cleveland, TN and north Georgia?

How is any of this relevant anyway?

Look back to the earlier posts, it was brought up by one poster how he believes private schools might start massive recruiting efforts if it's unchecked, if they bolt from the TSSAA. That was the point, especially if the two Chattanooga schools started recruiting out of state. That's why it's relevant. I probably should have included the term boarding students, including out of state athletes. Those were athletes I could think of quickly, do you want me to look up old signing lists with players from those two schools and see if hometown is included? I remember one wrestler from the Tullahoma or Franklin County area going on to UT-Chattanooga, I'm sure he didn't drive back and forth to Chattanooga so that greatly increases "the zone."

Look back to the earlier posts, it was brought up by one poster how he believes private schools might start massive recruiting efforts if it's unchecked, if they bolt from the TSSAA. That was the point, especially if the two Chattanooga schools started recruiting out of state. That's why it's relevant. I probably should have included the term boarding students, including out of state athletes. Those were athletes I could think of quickly, do you want me to look up old signing lists with players from those two schools and see if hometown is included? I remember one wrestler from the Tullahoma or Franklin County area going on to UT-Chattanooga, I'm sure he didn't drive back and forth to Chattanooga so that greatly increases "the zone."

I apparently did not understand what you meant. I apologize. I was . . . [CHOKE] [GASP] . . . WRONG! /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

I have seen some outageous claims on CoachT. For example, the infamous claim that FRA was recruiting athletes from Texas.

Indian,

Your claim was "I'm talking about specifically recruiting athletes, including out of state athletes." and then you don't back up your claim. You mentioned someone from Cleveland, TN - out of state. "Johnny Newman mentioned he's from Wyoming" - So, you do know is from. You also made the claim - "Baylor and McCallie have had some good players from around the south". Does "around the south" only include Cleveland, TN and north Georgia?

How is any of this relevant anyway?

Johnny Newmans family's decision to send Johnny to McCallie and his older brother, Noah, had nothing to do with athletics and lots to do with academics, the experience his cousins had attending college in Chattanooga, the fact that his family has a residence here and the lack of comparable academic resources in Wyoming. It's really funny that the uniformed would believe that a family would spend around $30K a year as a dorm student (lived at school, not in their residence) in order for their kid to play football 1,500 miles away from their primary home. What it says is how pitifully uninformed a number of the posters on this site are. They superimpose their own sense of the importance of high school athletics on the motivations of families they know nothing about. I suppose if playing a high school sport was the high point of their lives they might attribute that motivation to everyone else.