Top 25 Historical Teams in Tennessee

Do you know the teams and region MBA competed in around that time?

No idea at all how that worked at the time. The play-offs only began in '69, and prior to MBA playing covington, I'm not sure any Nashville team other than TPS had actually been in them. The MBA-Covington game was a first round game; the TSSAA website lists the championship game as Covington-Tennessee, so I'm guessing that only 4 teams made the play-offs. I have no idea how those four would have been determined.

Looking at RRR's 1971 MBA schedule, Glencliff, Hillwood, Overton, Franklin, Hillsboro, Pearl, Antioch, and Ryan would have been NIL AAA-West games. (I believe the NIL AAA-East was Hendersonville, East, McGavock, Madison, Stratford, Maplewood, and Mt. Juliet.)

MBA has a long history with Springfield, and the Brownsville game was the second of a two year series.

Not to split hairs but no team was a National Champion. They ended up the year ranked #1 in the nation. Being a champion means the team won a championship. Most of the teams mentioned won Tennessee championships. A number of the state championships credited to teams in the listings prior to TSSAA playoffs were the result of subjective rankings and in many cases those were contentious rankings. I know several Oak Ridge and old Tennessee High School teams arguebly would claim several of Chattanooga Central's #1 rankings. Had Coacht been around in those days (guess Al Gore would have had to have invented the internet) the postings about who should be ranked #1 would still be active today.

Not to split hairs but no team was a National Champion. They ended up the year ranked #1 in the nation. Being a champion means the team won a championship.

No one is implying that these teams won a national championship through a national playoff system. Their number one ranking is what justifies them as a national champion. The three teams mentioned did win a national championship although they didn't compete in a national playoff system for it. The National Sports News Service and USA Today consider a variety of factors to determine a national champion. Regardless, it's a presitigious award that only 3 Tennessee teams have ever received. Its meaning is mostly belittled by schools that weren't selected.

Most of the teams mentioned won Tennessee championships. A number of the state championships credited to teams in the listings prior to TSSAA playoffs were the result of subjective rankings and in many cases those were contentious rankings.

I'm aware of this. However, every championship listed is recognized by the TSSAA.

I know several Oak Ridge and old Tennessee High School teams arguebly would claim several of Chattanooga Central's #1 rankings. Had Coacht been around in those days (guess Al Gore would have had to have invented the internet) the postings about who should be ranked #1 would still be active today.

Claim several of Chattanooga Central's number 1 rankings? What, like stealing them? /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> Since you mentioned it, I guess the subject continues to be active in some parts of Southeast Tennessee...the Chattanooga area perhaps? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I have a question for you THSViking. I was talking with a friend of mine who played football at Gate City in the 1980's. He told me that in 1971 (the national championship year for TN High) that Gate City scrimmaged the Vikings and won that scrimmage. Can you verify if that is true or is he just blowing smoke? By the way, it's nice to see DB included on your list.

I can't vouch for the 1971 scrimmage but in 1970 those two teams scrimmaged and it wasn't even close...a full game type scrimmage and Gate City dominated. The only things keeping it from being a real game were no admission price and no broadcast. Legion field was filled to capacity on both sides. Have never seen another high school contest with that atmosphere!!

• Upvote 1

Well Gate City plays a scrimmage like it is a super bowl. They beat DB in the 1970's and still talk about it. It was a big down year for DB and one of the best teams Gate City had. For years DB heard all the Gate City trash talk. Finally, in the early part of this century (when Gate City was a top team in VA) DB held a full out scrimmage against them. DB did not even have one of their best teams, the score was so lopsided that it was not even funny. In fact, it was just ugly. Gate City had their 1970's team, but TN High woulda killed them if they took it seriously. DB heard the same crap for years, then DB rocked them worse then a DB vs East game and Gate City still talks about 1970. And for the record, DB is not known for scrimmage blowouts. In fact, they usually lose them because they try so many new plays and player. This one though, was a blowout. Besides, Virginia has like 4 state champs in en every division and Gate City should be playin bigger schools but they cheat the count, just like all the Gate City politician scandals we read about on a nearly daily basis. Talk about a bunch of bull, go to SW VA, it stinks of it.

It has become quiet on the boards lately, especially with it being the dead period. So I thought I would attempt to make a list of the top 25 historical teams in the state of Tennessee to help generate some talking. The list is intended to encompass all great teams of the past. I attempted to exclude teams that have been subpar throughout the years, although 2008 will be "their year." /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> The list is in no particular order. Do you agree? Disagree? Any comments?

1. MBA Big Red

Year football was established: circa 1899???

State Championships: 9

2nd Winningest team in the state of Tennessee

MBA in my opinion is a team that should belong in everyone's top 25 poll, maybe top 5 poll. They're consistently a tough team and they play other top teams from around the nation.

2. Alcoa Tornadoes

Alcoa has been a force in 2A for several years and a top team in the state.

3. Chattanooga Central Pounders

State Championships: 6

They have struggled lately, but six state titles is impressive.

4. Maryville Rebels

State Championships: 11

60 Game Winning Streak

3rd Winningest Program in Tennessee

They have won the past 4 state titles in 4A and a top notch coaching staff.

5. Milan Bulldogs

State Championships: 4

6. Brentwood Academy Eagles

State Championships: 10

Brentwood Academy is another top 5 team. They are one of four teams to win back to back state titles in the highest classification.

7. MUS

State Championships: 3

8. Tennessee High Vikings

National Championships: 1

State Championships: 2

Year football was established: 1900, recorded 1911

Old Nicknames: Maroon and White Machine, Warriors, Adamites

The Vikings have been playing football for quite some time. One of four teams to win back to back state championships at the highest classification. Declared National Champions in 1972.

9. Cleveland Blue Raiders

The Blue Raiders won back to back to back state titles in 4A from 1993 to 1995.

10. Riverdale Warriors

Riverdale has been a 5A powerhouse throughout the years.

11. South Pittsburgh Pirates

12. Marion County Warriors

13. Melrose Golden Wildcats

14. Germantown Red Devils

15. Austin East Roadrunners

16. Fulton Falcons

Very good 3A team.

17. Battle Ground Academy Wildcats

They have had subpar teams lately.

18. Lincoln County Falcons

19. Oak Ridge Wildcats

State Championships: 7

Oak Ridge is one of only 3 teams to ever be declared national champions and one of only four teams to win back to back state championships at the highest classification.

20. Shelbyville Bedford County Training

Undefeated for 82 consecutive games.

52 consecutive shutouts. /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

21. Gallatin Green Wave

22. Baylor Red Raiders

State Championships: 1

4th Winningest Program in Tennessee

23. Trousdale County Yellowjackets

24. Dobyns-Bennett Indians

Winningest Program in Tennessee

Old Nicknames: Magicians??

Few People can spell their name correctly /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Great team with tradition. One of the best football atmospheres in the state.

25. David Lipscomb Mustangs

To be honest,the first team that I thought about was the Vikings of '72.I would have any of the single teams that are voted number 1 in the nation at the top of this poll .So far as programs over all go, we all have our favorites.I like the winningest team in state with the state championships we have at DB. Since we open up with you guys this year on the new field,we can both look back and be proud of the rich history at the stone castle and here at J Fred

Well Gate City plays a scrimmage like it is a super bowl. They beat DB in the 1970's and still talk about it. It was a big down year for DB and one of the best teams Gate City had. For years DB heard all the Gate City trash talk. Finally, in the early part of this century (when Gate City was a top team in VA) DB held a full out scrimmage against them. DB did not even have one of their best teams, the score was so lopsided that it was not even funny. In fact, it was just ugly. Gate City had their 1970's team, but TN High woulda killed them if they took it seriously. DB heard the same crap for years, then DB rocked them worse then a DB vs East game and Gate City still talks about 1970. And for the record, DB is not known for scrimmage blowouts. In fact, they usually lose them because they try so many new plays and player. This one though, was a blowout. Besides, Virginia has like 4 state champs in en every division and Gate City should be playin bigger schools but they cheat the count, just like all the Gate City politician scandals we read about on a nearly daily basis. Talk about a bunch of bull, go to SW VA, it stinks of it.

DB was 4-6 the year Gate City beat them. It was their worst record in 20 years.

I don't put much stock in scrimmages. Tennessee High had a young team in 1970. The bulk of their talent consisted of sophomores. Had the two met in the regular season, however, I would still put my money on the Vikings. They went 10-1 that year, only losing to Murfreesboro Central by a score of 26-14. Central went on to beat Melrose 36-0 for the state championship. According to the Riverdale website, that 1970 team had 26 college signees. /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

To be honest,the first team that I thought about was the Vikings of '72.I would have any of the single teams that are voted number 1 in the nation at the top of this poll .So far as programs over all go, we all have our favorites.I like the winningest team in state with the state championships we have at DB. Since we open up with you guys this year on the new field,we can both look back and be proud of the rich history at the stone castle and here at J Fred

How's the field looking this year? Does it have the DB logo at midfield? J Fred Johnson stadium has a great football atmosphere; I don't care for the visitor stands though. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

How's the field looking this year? Does it have the DB logo at midfield? J Fred Johnson stadium has a great football atmosphere; I don't care for the visitor stands though. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I think we have the Logo at the baseball end and the band Logo at midfield.It looks great except for that . You will have some nice new bathrooms anyway.

D-B Band logo?

Great thread with no possibility of agreement. State Championships before the modern playoff era don't mean alot to me but others who played in the older era would certainly disagree. I would have to put the early 70's THS Vikings at number one for their three year playoff run and the National Championship. In terms of playoff dominance in recent years you would have to go with Maryville and Riverdale.

It has become quiet on the boards lately, especially with it being the dead period. So I thought I would attempt to make a list of the top 25 historical teams in the state of Tennessee to help generate some talking. The list is intended to encompass all great teams of the past. I attempted to exclude teams that have been subpar throughout the years, although 2008 will be "their year." /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> The list is in no particular order. Do you agree? Disagree? Any comments?

1. MBA Big Red

Year football was established: circa 1899???

2nd Winningest team in the state of Tennessee

MBA in my opinion is a team that should belong in everyone's top 25 poll, maybe top 5 poll. They're consistently a tough team and they play other top teams from around the nation.

2. Alcoa Tornadoes

Alcoa has been a force in 2A for several years and a top team in the state.

3. Chattanooga Central Pounders

They have struggled lately, but six state titles is impressive.

4. Maryville Rebels

State Championships: 11

60 Game Winning Streak

3rd Winningest Program in Tennessee

They have won the past 4 state titles in 4A and a top notch coaching staff.

5. Milan Bulldogs

6. Brentwood Academy Eagles

State Championships: 10

Brentwood Academy is another top 5 team. They are one of four teams to win back to back state titles in the highest classification.

7. MUS

8. Tennessee High Vikings

Year football was established: 1900, recorded 1911

Old Nicknames: Maroon and White Machine, Warriors, Adamites

The Vikings have been playing football for quite some time. One of four teams to win back to back state championships at the highest classification. Declared National Champions in 1972.

9. Cleveland Blue Raiders

The Blue Raiders won back to back to back state titles in 4A from 1993 to 1995.

10. Riverdale Warriors

Riverdale has been a 5A powerhouse throughout the years.

11. South Pittsburgh Pirates

12. Marion County Warriors

13. Melrose Golden Wildcats

14. Germantown Red Devils

15. Austin East Roadrunners

16. Fulton Falcons

Very good 3A team.

17. Battle Ground Academy Wildcats

They have had subpar teams lately.

18. Lincoln County Falcons

19. Oak Ridge Wildcats

State Championships: 7

Oak Ridge is one of only 3 teams to ever be declared national champions and one of only four teams to win back to back state championships at the highest classification.

20. Shelbyville Bedford County Training

Undefeated for 82 consecutive games.

52 consecutive shutouts. /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

21. Gallatin Green Wave

22. Baylor Red Raiders

State Championships: 1

4th Winningest Program in Tennessee

23. Trousdale County Yellowjackets

24. Dobyns-Bennett Indians

Winningest Program in Tennessee

Old Nicknames: Magicians??

Few People can spell their name correctly /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Great team with tradition. One of the best football atmospheres in the state.

25. David Lipscomb Mustangs

Dobyns Bennet alo used to be called the Red Elephants