All State Teams

FBGIRL

Pretty much goes like this, Coach nominates player, turns in stats. If player has good stats then voters take coaches word for it. No way each sports writer or coach can see each kid play. No way either can judge level of competion each kid plays against in each district or region. The more successful the team the better chance of making team. Player needs a coach who promotes him and has interest in TBCA or TSWA. Making an all-state team is not always an indication of talent. I have seen kids play D1 who never made an all-state team and I have seen all-state players that couldnt play juco.

Seems that the best way to make an all-state team is for the coach to promote his player.

Everything that you said is true. I ran into a very successful coach yesterday and he informed me that he went on vacation and forgot to turn in the needed information. The sad thing is that he felt like he would have had 3 kids make the All State team.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also would like to add that the coach has to be a member of the TBCA to make a nomination. This cost money,sometimes paid by the coach, sometimes by the school. As stated earlier, Baseball and softball have the worst criteria for picking all state teams than any other sport.

In other sports the all state teams are picked while school is in session. This makes it easy on coaches. This is not possible in baseball and softball. During the summer most coaches have other interest, thus baseball and softball are not on their minds. My problem is, why does it take until mid July to pick an all state team when the season is over by mid May?

An all state team based solely on stats taken by the players team is unfair. Most coaches are honest, but its human nature to have bias for your own. Dont kid yourself, stat padding happens. Is there a better way to pick a team? Someone smarter than me will have to figure that one out.

Everything that you said is true. I ran into a very successful coach yesterday and he informed me that he went on vacation and forgot to turn in the needed information. The sad thing is that he felt like he would have had 3 kids make the All State team.

TSWA - is sports writers - a kid gets on the team if his paper is a member of the tswa - if not the kid hasn't got much of a shot due to no one (writer) promoting him

TBCA - coach must be member, send in nominations - region directors (coaches) select all region teams - all state team named from the all region teams

there is no perfect way to deem an all region, all state award - everyone has bias toward players they have seen or maybe because they are AAA players vs a Class A player.

If a coach doesn't think enough to send in his nominations he isn' t much of a coach in my opinion... what does it take time wise to send in a nomination?

TSWA - is sports writers - a kid gets on the team if his paper is a member of the tswa - if not the kid hasn't got much of a shot due to no one (writer) promoting him

TBCA - coach must be member, send in nominations - region directors (coaches) select all region teams - all state team named from the all region teams

there is no perfect way to deem an all region, all state award - everyone has bias toward players they have seen or maybe because they are AAA players vs a Class A player.

If a coach doesn't think enough to send in his nominations he isn' t much of a coach in my opinion... what does it take time wise to send in a nomination?

I agree, if coach is a member he should participate. Shouldnt take much time. I looked through as many of the TBCA all- state players as I could find out of curiousity. I was surprised to find several didnt make their all-region team. How in the world can you be all-state if you didnt make your all-region team?

Bottom line, coach promoting player. But how can you nominate player for all-state if he was not all-region? Shouldnt it be a progressive step?

Also would like to add that the coach has to be a member of the TBCA to make a nomination. This cost money,sometimes paid by the coach, sometimes by the school. As stated earlier, Baseball and softball have the worst criteria for picking all state teams than any other sport.

In other sports the all state teams are picked while school is in session. This makes it easy on coaches. This is not possible in baseball and softball. During the summer most coaches have other interest, thus baseball and softball are not on their minds. My problem is, why does it take until mid July to pick an all state team when the season is over by mid May?

An all state team based solely on stats taken by the players team is unfair. Most coaches are honest, but its human nature to have bias for your own. Dont kid yourself, stat padding happens. Is there a better way to pick a team? Someone smarter than me will have to figure that one out.

Best way on team is have daddy coach your highschool team. Then play in the tenn. district for they blind and still get out half the time.

For all of your information-my son is on the team believe it or not his dad or anyone related to him is not the coach or any part of the coaching team. His coach is an awesome coach and would promote him if he needed to. My son is a good player and is awarded this honor based on his abilities and his willingness to work hard and try his best. All of you can be bitter about it but you need to give credit to the ones that were honored.

For all of your information-my son is on the team believe it or not his dad or anyone related to him is not the coach or any part of the coaching team. His coach is an awesome coach and would promote him if he needed to. My son is a good player and is awarded this honor based on his abilities and his willingness to work hard and try his best. All of you can be bitter about it but you need to give credit to the ones that were honored.

Nothing bitter here, I dont even have a child playing. Just noticing a flawed system. Good for your son and coach. Coach obviously is interested and promotes his players. Answer this question, how can a player be on the all-state team when he is not on the all-region team?

Before making this post I wanted to make sure to have my facts straight.....so I printed the TBCA all-region team list and the TBCA all-state list .....and took the time to compare........and everyone that is on the TBCA all-state list is also on the TBCA all- region list..if you had taken the time to check you would not have been asking this useless question....

Before making this post I wanted to make sure to have my facts straight.....so I printed the TBCA all-region team list and the TBCA all-state list .....and took the time to compare........and everyone that is on the TBCA all-state list is also on the TBCA all- region list..if you had taken the time to check you would not have been asking this useless question....

The discussion is about how they are chosen. I checked again and saw 1 not on all region team. Check to see if any position change. I seen 1 changed from C/SS to INF. Are you a being nominated for catcher or SS? I thought your all-region position is all-state position. Seems MI is mutiple position. An all-state 2B doesnt make an all-state SS, or vise versa. Same goes for OF. I thought I read player could only be nominated for 1 position. Sorry if I hurt your feelings mom but no question is useless. The system is clearly flawed and relies on word of mouth and unreliable stats. Congrats to each player named, and good luck.