Bowl Games

rollredroll

High school bowl games have certainly been on the decline over the years, mainly due to the number of teams that make the playoffs. Nevertheless, many have (had) long histories and featured some great regional matchups.

I am attempting to chronicle as many of these bowl games as possible and have started a list at the link below. I would appreciate any bowl information (no Blue Cross Bowl games, please) fans could provide for their team. The key information is the name of the bowl, the city in which the bowl was/is located, the year the bowl was played, and the score of the two teams involved. You can send the information to info@hsfdatabase.com or post the results on this thread.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tennessee High School Bowl Games

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First Annual Tennessee Walking Horse Bowl in Lewisburg Tennessee 1976.

Mt Pleasat High School vs. Blanch High School

Mt Pleasant won 21-0

Jackie McKennon of Mt Pleasant was named the games best offensive player.

Mt Pleasant had two players to rush for over 1300 yards each that season, Jackie McKennon (Sr) and Albert Lane (Fr). Jackie was also the states second leading scorer. Albert went on to play some college ball at MTSU.

1981 Pioneer Bowl payed in Columbia TN

Mt Pleasant vs BGA

Mt Pleasant won 14-9

Rodney Massey was Defensive Player of the Game. He scored the game winning TD on an interception with only minutes remaining in the game.

1984 Tennessee Walking Horse Bowl Lewisburg TN

Mt Pleasant vs Spring Hill

Spring Hill won 0-13

Many Mt Pleasant folks will remember the Giles Co game the week before. There was an all out brawl between both teams & coaches. Mt Pleasant played the bowl game with players suspended and hurt from the brawl the week before.

I know you did not ask for all that but mTp football is in the blood.

By the way...... Love the website

I will be sending some stats for everyone to enjoy when I get them all together.

The now defunct Vonore Blue Devils played against Greenback in the Little T Bowl in Lenior City. I am thinking it was 1979. Made the trip a couple of times, but can't remember years or scores. Vonore was a part of the ETIC (East Tennessee Independent Conference that included Greenback, Charleston, Midway, HCBA (Harrison Chilhowee Baptist Academy now known as King's Academy). I'm not sure if there was anyone else in it or not. I will check around and see if I can get exact scores and dates.

Thanks, wholder (and it is great to read the background on each game).

Do you know what state Blanch High School was located in?

From the research that I have done the school was located in Lincoln County in Taft Tennessee. I do know they finished the season with an 8-2 record.

I do not know much about the school maybe some of the old school coacht folks can give us some information.

High school bowl games have certainly been on the decline over the years, mainly due to the number of teams that make the playoffs. Nevertheless, many have (had) long histories and featured some great regional matchups.

I am attempting to chronicle as many of these bowl games as possible and have started a list at the link below. I would appreciate any bowl information (no Blue Cross Bowl games, please) fans could provide for their team. The key information is the name of the bowl, the city in which the bowl was/is located, the year the bowl was played, and the score of the two teams involved. You can send the information to info@hsfdatabase.com or post the results on this thread.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tennessee High School Bowl Games

1969 Blanket Bowl (Sprigfield)

Cumberland 21 Clarksville Burt 20

According to the Cumberland Yearbook, it was the 11th Annual Blanket Bowl

1968 Metro Bowl (Nashville)

Pearl 34 Cumberland 0

Played at Antioch HS

1963 Nashville Exchange Bowl

Hartsville 14 Cumberland 0

Played on the night Kennedy was shot.

No confirmation, but my understanding is that Cumberland played in a bowl in 1957, losing to a Huntland team coached by Shirley Majors.

Just out of curiosity, how would one go about putting on a bowl game? I had heard once upon a time that it had to be requested through the TSSAA. Does anyone have any information on this? I know it takes a lot to put on a bowl game and it has been some time since I have been around a bowl game, but I always liked them and it always had the chance of matching teams that might not ordinarily play each other.