Bowl Games

rollredroll

Gibbs High Eagles Bowl History

1984 - Little T Bowl - Lenoir City, TN @ Lenoir City HS / L, Happy Valley, 13-6

1985 - Highlander Braggin Bowl - Gatlingburg, TN @ Gatlingburg-Pittman HS / W, Chucky-Doak, 10

1986 - Highlander Braggin Bowl - Gatlingburg, TN @ Gatlingburg-Pittman HS / W, Johnson Co, 13-12

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1966 Ashland City & Chapel Hill tied 0-0 in the Blanket Bowl.

In 1967 Ashland City defeated Woodbury 33-6 in the Booster Bowl.

Ashland City High School was the precursor to Cheatham Co. Central High School. CCCHS opened in the fall of 1970.

Got 'em; thanks.

Twenty-eight additions today so far; thanks to all contributors!

I'll go with 6-0 for now.

Here are some other Clinic Bowls that I have the matchups but no scores:

1963: Murfreesboro Central vs. Father Ryan

1965: Lebanon vs. Donelson

1971: Murfreesboro Central vs. Maplewood

My recollection is that in '71 there was a doubleheader involving Ryan, possibily with Gallatin as an opponent. I believe that the Clinic Bowl became part of the play-offs after that.

Slow day today - only five additions to the Tennessee Bowl List, but we're almost at 200 games now. Thanks for everyone's additions.

Today's additions:

Gordon Browning Bowl (Huntingdon)

1981: Adamsville 15, SBEC (MS) 14

Highlander Bowl (Gatlinburg)

1982: Seymour 13, Powell Valley 6

Knights of Columbus Red Knights Classic (Memphis)

1991: Collierville 21, Raleigh-Egypt 0

Lions Blind Benefit Bowl (Memphis)

1991: Hillcrest 44, Memphis East 24

Lions Sight Bowl (Jackson)

1990: Lexington 15, Memphis East 12

Slow day today - only five additions to the Tennessee Bowl List, but we're almost at 200 games now. Thanks for everyone's additions.

Today's additions:

Gordon Browning Bowl (Huntingdon)

1981: Adamsville 15, SBEC (MS) 14

Highlander Bowl (Gatlinburg)

1982: Seymour 13, Powell Valley 6

Knights of Columbus Red Knights Classic (Memphis)

1991: Collierville 21, Raleigh-Egypt 0

Lions Blind Benefit Bowl (Memphis)

1991: Hillcrest 44, Memphis East 24

Lions Sight Bowl (Jackson)

1990: Lexington 15, Memphis East 12

I see a couple of discrepancies, based on Ridley Wills book on MBA: the '57 bowl game was listed as the Kingsport Exchange Bowl, and he lists the score as D-B 21, MBA 7. Also, I think you have the MBA appearances in the Tobacco Bowl juxtaposed: in '64, MBA lost to Murf. Central, and MBA beat Hendersonville in '73 (that one I can confirm).

Also, I believe the '72 Metro Bowl was Hendersonville 7, Ryan 6

Please send me what you have; I have put the MBA ones up there tonight. Thanks.

Question to anyone: Should the Clinic Bowls at the beginning of the season ('05 - Byrnes/MBA, '06 - Lipscomb/Goodpasture, '07 - Franklin/Hillsboro) count? Yes, they are Clinic Bowls, but there's something about their occurring at the beginning of the season that makes me unsure as to whether or not they should be included.

I would say no. Bowl games represent an additional game based on that team's performance during the regular season.

The now Clinic Bowl is just a "showcase game" at week zero. Its name Clinic Bowl allows The Junior Chamber of Commerce to maintain a 50 year tradition with high school football.

I see a couple of discrepancies, based on Ridley Wills book on MBA: the '57 bowl game was listed as the Kingsport Exchange Bowl, and he lists the score as D-B 21, MBA 7. Also, I think you have the MBA appearances in the Tobacco Bowl juxtaposed: in '64, MBA lost to Murf. Central, and MBA beat Hendersonville in '73 (that one I can confirm).

Also, I believe the '72 Metro Bowl was Hendersonville 7, Ryan 6

Fixed the Tobacco Bowls and added the '72 Metro Bowl.

Unsure what to do about DB-MBA: I just found the score you referred to in RW's book (the footnote is the yearbook), but the MBA football program lists 32-7. I am going to see what I can track down to confirm.

Thanks. Thanks for the Cumberland helmet, too...will get to that tonight.

I would say no. Bowl games represent an additional game based on that team's performance during the regular season.

The now Clinic Bowl is just a "showcase game" at week zero. Its name Clinic Bowl allows The Junior Chamber of Commerce to maintain a 50 year tradition with high school football.

I would tend to agree with your line of thinking.

What city was the "Civic Bowl" held in??????

I know that the "Lions Bowl" was in Tullahoma, the "Blanket Bowl" was in Springfield, the "Civitan Bowl" was in Clarksville, the "Booster Bowl' was in Mt. Juliet, and the "Athletic Bowl" was in Dickson.

Once I find out the location to the "Civic Bowl" then I will know the sites to all of the Bowl Games that Coach Ralph Spangler led Ashland City High School to during his tenure (1951-1969).