Bowl Games

rollredroll

Union City Golden Tornadoes in the Civitan Bowl held at War Memorial Stadium in Union City,Tn.....

1971.....Union City-35

Lexington-7

1975.....Henry County-36

Union City-13

1977.....Union City-26

Memphis Prep-20

1979.....Union City-34

McNairy County-14

1982......Union City-8

S.B.E.C-6

1983......Union City-6

Haywood County-0

1984......Union City-27

Bolton-0

1986.......Bartlett-9

Union City-7

1987.......Union City-42

Memphis Prep-18

1989.......David Lipscomb-10

Union City-0

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What city was the "Civic Bowl" held in??????

I know that the "Lions Bowl" was in Tullahoma, the "Blanket Bowl" was in Springfield, the "Civitan Bowl" was in Clarksville, the "Booster Bowl' was in Mt. Juliet, and the "Athletic Bowl" was in Dickson.

Once I find out the location to the "Civic Bowl" then I will know the sites to all of the Bowl Games that Coach Ralph Spangler led Ashland City High School to during his tenure (1951-1969).

I believe there was a Civic Bowl in Nashville. I thought at one time it was at Antioch, but I believe that was the Metro Bowl.

Dyersburg played White Station in 1967 in LIONS BOWL played in Memphis

White Station 20

Dyersburg 6

I believe both teams were undefeated during the regular season.

Dyersburg played in the Lions Bowl at the end of the 73 season....beat a team out of Chattanooga if I remember..That Dyersburg team had Edward Parrish who starred at Vandy, James Patrickwho went to Tenn. Tech.. Jimmy Noonan, Charlie Kolwyck who turned down a scholly to Tenn. Tech, The Rev. Steve Gaines who played at UT- Martin, Phillip Mischke who played at Rhodes, Sammy Gauldin who got a ride to Tennessee Tech...Lot of talent on that team..

Dyersburg played in the Lions Bowl at the end of the 73 season....beat a team out of Chattanooga if I remember..That Dyersburg team had Edward Parrish who starred at Vandy, James Patrickwho went to Tenn. Tech.. Jimmy Noonan, Charlie Kolwyck who turned down a scholly to Tenn. Tech, The Rev. Steve Gaines who played at UT- Martin, Phillip Mischke who played at Rhodes, Sammy Gauldin who got a ride to Tennessee Tech...Lot of talent on that team..

LOADS of talent on both of these DHS teams..DHS 1967 team had IST Black to play regularly for DHS = James Partee was the runnning mate to Danny Jefferies was the fastest White boy ive ever seen. Danny went to UT where he played defensive back. Roger Long was one of the best "d" n "o" lineman DHS has ever had. Roger was a mans man "Tough"..White Station double and triple teamed him in "67 Lions Bowl..I dont think he played any college ball but had several D1 offers // famers son..Jerry Stripling who played and starred at Newbern was the DHS coach who made these players what they became,however Coach Crawford was the DHS coach during 1967. To watch DHS run the double setback running the cross-buck was a pleasure with these two speed -demons..reminded me of all the Great teams DHS teams from late 30"s - late 50"s coached by J.C.Sawyers thru late 40"s who became Principal, when Bowden Wyatt became DHS coach during the Greatest era of DHS football from 1948-1956..DHS ran the single-wing in the "good ole days". DHS had many players (too many to list) who played D-1 football from these teams..most notible was Phillip "The Chief" King = he was half Indian who was an All-AMERICAN at VANDY. Phil played pro ball for N.Y.Giants playing in the "BEST PRO GAME EVER" IN 1958..in his latter pro career he played for the Vikings before going into a law career.

LOADS of talent on both of these DHS teams..DHS 1967 team had IST Black to play regularly for DHS = James Partee was the runnning mate to Danny Jefferies was the fastest White boy ive ever seen. Danny went to UT where he played defensive back. Roger Long was one of the best "d" n "o" lineman DHS has ever had. Roger was a mans man "Tough"..White Station double and triple teamed him in "67 Lions Bowl..I dont think he played any college ball but had several D1 offers // famers son..Jerry Stripling who played and starred at Newbern was the DHS coach who made these players what they became,however Coach Crawford was the DHS coach during 1967. To watch DHS run the double setback running the cross-buck was a pleasure with these two speed -demons..reminded me of all the Great teams DHS teams from late 30"s - late 50"s coached by J.C.Sawyers thru late 40"s who became Principal, when Bowden Wyatt became DHS coach during the Greatest era of DHS football from 1948-1956..DHS ran the single-wing in the "good ole days". DHS had many players (too many to list) who played D-1 football from these teams..most notible was Phillip "The Chief" King = he was half Indian who was an All-AMERICAN at VANDY. Phil played pro ball for N.Y.Giants playing in the "BEST PRO GAME EVER" IN 1958..in his latter pro career he played for the Vikings before going into a law career.

I didn't realize Dyersburg's history was so long and impressive. Very nice post.

Union City Golden Tornadoes in the Civitan Bowl held at War Memorial Stadium in Union City,Tn.....

Thanks for those bowl scores.

Union City has a long history, and quite a few wins in its history, but I can't find anywhere on the internet where the school's all-time historical scores are listed. If anyone at or associated with the school has access to them and could submit them to the website where they can be uploaded for fans across the state to see, that would be a nice addition to the site. Union City is somewhere around 10th - give or take a few spots - in the state in all-time wins, as best as I can tell.

I didn't realize Dyersburg's history was so long and impressive. Very nice post.

Thanks ..DHS has a long and impressive history ,tho 1958-1965 and late 80"s thru mid 90"s were DHS most depressing years ..1958 DHS hired a VERY NON-ENTHUSTAIC COACH.( 3 yds n a cloud of dust offense = very non-productive, too predictible ) .asst coach should have been the head coach..THOSE WERE ALL POLITICAL FOOTBALL YEARS AS I PREFER TO SAY..I suffered thru this during my playing days. I had always thought I d be playing on one of those super squads during the 50"s..new coach(above) was hired when i was a soph..what a rude awakening..he played the political card thus the losing years.. most of the better athletics played baseball/basktball or most not at all.

DHS new website = teamdyersburg.com is currently working on the all-time football history of DHS football..

During the 30"s - late 40"s as I was told about by my g-dad and dad DHS was the team to beat; later when I was a youngster (later 40"s-late 50"s ) I remember DHS had the best team year in year out in West Tn outside of Memphis (Central and Catholic were the Memphis best during that era).

no one wanted to play DHS outside of their conference foes. Jackson Central did accept to play the "cotton patch "boys of mid 50"s never to want to play DHS till a new Big-Ten Conference was formed in 1958.

High school bowl games have certainly been on the decline over the years, mainly due to the number of teams that make the playoffs. Nevertheless, many have (had) long histories and featured some great regional matchups.

I am attempting to chronicle as many of these bowl games as possible and have started a list at the link below. I would appreciate any bowl information (no Blue Cross Bowl games, please) fans could provide for their team. The key information is the name of the bowl, the city in which the bowl was/is located, the year the bowl was played, and the score of the two teams involved. You can send the information to info@hsfdatabase.com or post the results on this thread.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tennessee High School Bowl Games

I'll see if I can get a list from Trousedale Co.

I do think the 1st Tobacco Bowl was played in 1953 or 54. Teams that played were Clay Co. & Livingston.. sorry don't have a score on that game. someone in Celina or Livingston might be able to put a score with it.

I'll see if I can get a list from Trousedale Co.

I do think the 1st Tobacco Bowl was played in 1953 or 54. Teams that played were Clay Co. & Livingston.. sorry don't have a score on that game. someone in Celina or Livingston might be able to put a score with it.

Thanks; look forward to it.