Milan

theplayer

eh, lol, we don't need to go there....

Alcoa has 9 state championships dating all the way back to 1977. They've won it in 1977, 1978, 1979, 1989, 2000, 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007...

Alcoa can thank the private school 1.8 multiplier rule that got that pesky little David Lipscomb team from knocking them out of the playoffs every year

Alcoa can thank the private school 1.8 multiplier rule that got that pesky little David Lipscomb team from knocking them out of the playoffs every year

DL has a very good program. They are coming off of a 3a title...but Alcoa would have mopped them up the

last 3 years as they did their rival Goodpasture.

Goodpasture beat David Lipscomb the last two years. The two teams are very similar every year. Same kinds of coaches. Same kinds of players.

Alcoa's speed + athleticism would have been too much for the Mustangs as it has been for the Cougars.

David Lipscomb has dominated our region the last three years and I have all of the respect in the world for Coach Mac and those guys. I am speaking with my head instead of with my heart when I say they weren't as good as Alcoa in any of the last three years.

One thing that hurt Milan and John W. Tucker in the past: BRENTWOOD ACADEMY....IF Tucker hadn't had to run into those teams in the early to mid 80's that would have from 7 to 8 DIV.1 players...( Don't say THAT THEY DON"T RECRUIT....YOU CAN"T HAVE THAT MANY TALENTED KIDS IN ONE RICH SECTION OF NASHVILLE)....There is NO telling how many titles they would have won...That being said though...Alcoa was a POWER IN single A for years... I know they were the THORN IN LAKE COUNTY"S SIDE FOR AWHILE...Moved up from A and still are winning State Titles...Alcoa and Maryville in THE SAME COUNTY...That is scary...1977, 1978, 1979....Maryville was runner up ( To Milan) in 77, State Champ in 78 and runnerup to Humboldt in 79.....Alcoa was State Champ all three years....And beat Lake County in 78 and 79.....Alcoa has been a POWER FOR YEARS!....

Guest nwtnsports

That's right, StevieRay. There are a couple of teams that Milan struggled with in the playoffs, Brentwood Academy and MUS. The Bulldogs are 1-4 vs. Brentwood Academy - W in '77; L in '80, '81, '86 and '88. They are 2-5 vs. MUS - W in '77 and '88; L in '83, '85, '87, '89 and '90. Milan made it to the playoffs nine times between '80 and '89, and their lone loss to a public school was in '84 to Marshall Co.

This year's Bulldogs have three scrimmages set:

Friday, 8/1 - vs. Dyersburg

Friday, 8/8 - @ Mayfield, KY

Friday, 8/15 - vs. JCM, in Jamboree @ South Side

I would have to say that Milan has more tradition than Alcoa. No disrespect to Alcoa but Milan had John Tucker. Coach Tucker is without a doubt if not the best in the top 3 best coaches in Tennessee of all time. Coach Tucker did more for football in Tennessee than anyone. Hands down he is the best x and o's guy ever in TN. Tradition is not just measured by championships. Milan probably has more runner ups than anyone because of BA. Also they are always in the third round or better. More over Milans town is more football crazy than Alcoa's.

I'll say they both have a very rich tradition. More of a tradition than most of the teams they compete against in their respective regions. It's hard to top Alcoa's 9 championships. I pray and hope Milan does upset Alcoa this year. Milan returns too many key players this year to get put out by a Peabody or Goodpasture. I'll be pulling for the 'Dawgs in every game except the one against GC.

I would have to say that Milan has more tradition than Alcoa. No disrespect to Alcoa but Milan had John Tucker. Coach Tucker is without a doubt if not the best in the top 3 best coaches in Tennessee of all time. Coach Tucker did more for football in Tennessee than anyone. Hands down he is the best x and o's guy ever in TN. Tradition is not just measured by championships. Milan probably has more runner ups than anyone because of BA. Also they are always in the third round or better. More over Milans town is more football crazy than Alcoa's.

I am VERY GOOD friends with Several former Milan Players...Even roomed with a few in college...Coach Tuckers' middle son ( Mike) was a frat brother of mine....SO I CAN TELL YOU ALL THE JOHN W.TUCKER STORIES YOU WANT TO HEAR...AND SOME YOU PROBABLY DON"T WON"T TO HEAR....I know that 2 weeks before school started ( this was way back in the 70's) they would MOVE INTO THE SCHOOL and stay there until classes started...You didn't go home...You stayed there ......

And Tucker...If he were coaching today....Would make the front page of USA TODAY....As would most of the "OLD SCHOOL COACHES"....Today's kids couldn't play for Tucker...Or THEIR PARENTS wouldn't let them play for Tucker...One of my best friends was the starting safety for the 77 team that went Undefeated...And quarterbacked the 78 squad....They got beat by 2 or 3 points to a very good Jackson Northside Team....This was the first game HE HAD LOST in 19 games....And Tucker liked to have killed them....in 79....Dyersburg beat Milan 17-10....after Milan had won in Overtime by one point the year before....The players said he came into the locker room..Clapping his hands and saying..."Boys are we gonna get better"...Are we gonna play better"...GOOD...Be on the field tomorrow morning at 7 am...This was on a SATURDAY MORNING.......His words were..."I MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO MAKE YOU HIT RIGHT AFTER A GAME"...But I can make you hit EVERY OTHER DAY OF THE WEEK"...Practice on Saturday...Go to Church on Sunday....Practice after Church...Practice ALL DAY ON MONDAY LABOR DAY....Supposedly they lost one game and he had them running AROUND AND AROUND IN THE PARKING LOT WITH THESE BIG RUBBER MATS THAT THEY WRESTLED ON OVER THEIR HEADS RIGHT AFTER A GAME ON A FRIDAY NIGHT......One of his teams...He said "The only thing they understand is TO HIT"...So they scrimmaged everyday....And they would come out ON GAME NIGHT...WARM UP AND GO HALF LINE FULL SPEED SCRIMMAGE UNTIL THE GAME STARTED...and that team went to the semi or quarter finals I believe.....He was one of the first coaches to say...YOU CAN PLAY HURT...YOU CAN"T PLAY INJURED...IF you had an INJURY ...YOU HAD TO GET UP IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE TEAM BEFORE PRACTICE AND SHOW AND TELL WHAT YOUR INJURY WAS.....He was one of a kind...

Jeff Smith was a Starting TE at The University of Tennessee and caught the first TD pass in the 86 Sugar Bowl romp over Miami...But his time at Milan was SOMETHING ELSE....Tucker had this practice of getting everyone together when Report Cards came out and he would read your grades...Bad Grades ..YOU GOT LICKS WITH HIS PADDLE...Or if your Grades weren't up to his standards you got licks...Anyway Smith flunks 5 out of 6 subjects prior to his sophmore year...Tucker gives him 15 licks and I don't he flunks again....Before the start of his Junior year....Tucker thinks Smith is smoking pot...This was before the days of drug testing...So he takes him and another kid to Trenton and puts them on a LIE DETECTOR MACHINE...and they flunk...He kicks them both off...He lets "Big Bo" come back and he has a great senior season....A few years back they have a roost for Tucker and all his former players show up...Smith included....Smith I THINK IS A PREACHER now...Could be wrong...But anyway...Out of ALL THE FORMER PLAYERS....Smith got up and CRIED LIKE A BABY...And said if it wasn't for John W.Tucker riding in like he did...He would have been dead or in the pen....The man loves John Tucker to death...There are countless other stories ....Some good...Some you WOULDN"T BELIEVE...

Tuckers' problems with Brentwood Academy go back to the 77 season when he ran a FAKE PUNT in the fourth quarter I believe with Milan up 21-0 if I recall....Carlton Flatt NEVER FORGOT THAT...and as you can see by looking at all the old Scores...He would RUN IT UP ON TUCKER ...every chance he got...And Tucker had some talent too...Earnest Fields and John Fisher were the first two players from the same high school to be named Co-captains at UT...George Kidd played there..As did Jeff Smith...and the late Larry Smith as did ...Larry Weems.....

And oh, how the man loved Bear Bryant....Thought enough of him he named his youngest son "Paul B.Bryant Tucker"....He is a Cumberland Presbyterian minister now..

I could go on all night about the John W.Tucker stories...He no doubt though is one of the greatest high school coaches in the history of Tennessee High School football....

how do you figure they will get to state? they didnt even beat us in the spring game. gilbert runs straight up and j.w williams got trucked and rocked by the upcoming junior quarterback

Alcoa has 9 state titles compared to Milan having just 4 state titles.

Now as far as "tradition" is concerned I have no clue. What is one's true definition of "tradition"????

As much talking as I have seen from the Milan faithful this preseason I for one will root for them to break through in this year's postseason and hook up with Alcoa in the state title game. In order to do that however the Bulldogs are going to have to win playoff games against the likes of Huntingdon/Camden + 2 other west-TN powerhouses + a midstate private school powerhouse such as Goodpasture, CPA, or DCA.

Jeff Morris team has been unable to break through since winning those back-to-back titles in 2A & 3A in 1998-1999. The playoff losses against Huntingdon from 2003-2005 in the semifinals twice and quarterfinals once combined with the semifinal loss to Goodpasture in 2006 were 4 great years that ended with bitter disappointment for the Milan Football Program. Last year, 2007, was very unexpected IMO because the loss to Peabody caught many folks by suprise when they were listening for scores on quarterfinal Friday night.

If/When the Milan Bulldogs are able to break through and get back to the Boro that is when they'll see their toughest obstacle to date when they square off against the dynasty known as the Alcoa Tornadoes. Seeing them on TV is one thing but experiencing their athleticism and overall team speed in person is certainly something that you'd have to see for yourself in order to believe. They look like a 5A program playing 2A regulars.

I actually heard that story about the 79 team losing to dyersburg yesterday from Mr. Mark Spain. Tucker was tough. Cavfootball, Jabronski Gilbert is the ideal tailback. If he stays healthy look for him to be a Mr. Football candidate. Also, JW Williams is one of the best cover corners around and you won't find a more exciting player on offense. 5'6" 160 lbs. he may get run over every once in a while. I made it to practice Monday evening. Athletes galore, have some good linemen but a little thin, gonna need to stay healthy.