Franklin County Tullahoma Game

RebelHeart

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not true. Sorry! There is an old thread on this message board about the A-11 from this summer. The NFHS is "reportedly" considering changing the scrimmage kick rule to eliminate this in the future but for now, it is legal.

I hope everyone comes out to this game in Tullahoma. This is a huge rivalry between these two teams. It should be a good game.

How would a change in the scrimmage kick rule eliminate the A-11 offense? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

How would a change in the scrimmage kick rule eliminate the A-11 offense? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

One of two ways:

1. Only allow the long snapper to have an ineligible number and require at least four ineligible numbers (i.e. offensive line numbers) on offense in the scrimmage kick

or

2. allow the scrimmage kick only on 4th downs (i.e. punting situations).

The real problem of the A-11 is with the referees. They are trained to look for certain things and this formation or scheme makes their job much more difficult.

It is only legal in the NCAA if it is an "obvious kicking down."

A scrimmage kick formation is a formation with at least one player seven yards or more behind the neutral zone, no player in position to receive a hand-to-hand snap from between the snapper's legs, and it is obvious that a kick may be attempted.

The NFHS does not have the last phrase added: "obvious that a kick may be attempted." The consideration is to change the wording to read "on 4th downs only," or something to that effect.

There are all kind of rumours going around about this game. The latest I heard is that a member of the Franklin Co coaching staff called TSSAA and asked about the A-11 offense. They were trying to find out if it was legal or not and were told it was legal, for now. This latest rumour is just that. I really don't know if there is any truth to this or not. Scott Shasteen and I will talk with Coach Adkins on our sports talk show, HSSP, High School Sports Plus this Thursday nite on 101.5, fantasy radio in Manchester. Please feel free to email any questions to www.highschoolsportsplus@fantasyradio.com. Also, we are going to try to take a few call-ins from fans. The call-in number is 728-3458. We also will be talking with Head Coach Eddie Nunley from Coffee Co HS, Coach John Olive of Tullahoma and Coach Kenny Parker from Cascade High School. Join us for the show each Thursday nite from 7 til 8pm. I heard that Tullahoma Middle School defeated Coffee Middle last nite in Manchester 36-0. Congrats to the coaching staff at Tullahoma Middle. They are 2-0 on the season and next play at Lewisburg on Sept 2nd at 6:30pm. A great week-end coming up for football fans with college football getting underway. Clemson vs Alabama and Tennessee vs UCLA. Don't forget, fantasy radio 101.5 is your Vol network station.

Binns I knew you couldn't go very long without bringing up Tennessee football,who cares other than you and a million or so other people.This is wildcat-rebel week!

The real problem of the A-11 is with the referees. They are trained to look for certain things and this formation or scheme makes their job much more difficult.

When I first saw it in the Lincoln Co. game, I was confused like most people. But I was overhearing a coach in stands explaining who was eligible & ineligible and why. Then it became clear and I was able to follow each play. If I can now understand it, why can't the officials recognize who is eligible or ineligible by where a player is lined up & who they are lined up against? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Binns I knew you couldn't go very long without bringing up Tennessee football,who cares other than you and a million or so other people.This is wildcat-rebel week!

Since Wildcat country is in Big Orange country, it all goes together. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Since Wildcat country is in Big Orange country, it all goes together. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Matter of opinion,you are under the topic Tullahoma-Franlin County football BIG game friday night not VOL network Tennessee football.I may be wrong,you possibly could own a horse!

One of two ways:

1. Only allow the long snapper to have an ineligible number and require at least four ineligible numbers (i.e. offensive line numbers) on offense in the scrimmage kick

or

2. allow the scrimmage kick only on 4th downs (i.e. punting situations).

It is only legal in the NCAA if it is an "obvious kicking down."

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT IT WOULD BE A LAME EXCUSE TO DO AWAY WITH A FORMATION BECAUSE IT MAKES THE REFEREES JOB MORE DIFFICULT.I KNOW THEY HAVE A DIFFICULT JOB,BUT AFTER A COUPLE OF WORK SESSIONS I BELIEVE THEY WOULD UNDERSTAND.I DON'T UNDERSTAND SOME OF IT BUT I DON'T HAVE TO.I KNOW ONE THING I LOVE WATCHING IT!

The reason it needs to be changed is because it is not what the rule intended to do! Even the creators of the A-11 have said they don't expect it to last very long. It is not a new version of the spread offense! I would have no problem with that because we run a version of the spread. It is a full time fake PUNT formation.

The intent of the rules of football are to have five ineligible football players (i.e. linemen) on the field on offense all the time. The only reason they made an adjustment for punt teams is to allow an "athlete" to long snap and to have more athletic players cover the punt after the snap at the O-line positions.

It is taking advantage of the scrimmage kick exception in a way that was not intended by the rules of the game. The A-11 can't be used at the college or pro game; consequently, we should keep it out of the high school game. Again, it is taking advantage of a rule that was put in to help smaller schools with their punt team personnel. It was not designed to change the fundamental game of football.

Someone asked why it is difficult for referees. If you have ever been a referee, you would understand. Referees can easily identify ineligble numbers down field (50-79) on pass plays but in this scheme, there are no lineman numbers and because of how quickly they shift, they will miss calls!

Teams can run pole cat, and other such things (like William and Mary) without doing the A-11 stuff. It has been done for decades. The only real thing that bothers me about it is the fact that all 11 players have eligable numbers.

The intent of the rules of football are to have five ineligible football players (i.e. linemen) on the field on offense all the time.

The A-11 does have five ineligible receivers. Even though their numbers are eligible, it does not mean that the player is. It depends on where they line up & who is lined up against them. Same goes for some plays when the tight-end is not eligible in more conventional formations. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />