Signal Mountain vs. South Pittsburg

signalbirdie

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they get on here and say its not fair that signal mountain played varsity players then why doesnt the band play at halftime of those same games and cheerleaders cheer and you actually pay to get in to those games.

just a thought

I don't think you understand. Signal Mtn. is playing a jv schedule because they are a new school but are using what amounts to varsity players minus seniors for them.. They practice everyday like South Pittsburg or anyone else does with there starters. Yet when SM lines up for a game the players across from them are basicly thrown together and don't get to practice together very much because there team is consentrating on getting there varsity players ready for the next friday nights game.

I don't think you understand. Signal Mtn. is playing a jv schedule because they are a new school but are using what amounts to varsity players minus seniors for them.. They practice everyday like South Pittsburg or anyone else does with there starters. Yet when SM lines up for a game the players across from them are basicly thrown together and don't get to practice together very much because there team is consentrating on getting there varsity players ready for the next friday nights game.

I thought we did really well considering practice as a team for our JV consisted of lining them up in O, D and special team 20 min before the game. 2 of SM scores or scores set up were on special teams...punt blocked and recovered about the 10 and punt returned for a TD. Defensively we did pretty good...in 3 or 4 series we had them 3rd or 4th and long (over 20 yds) and a breakdown lets them out of the hole. Offensively the plays were there... just breakdowns in blocking assignments that killed TD plays. Play calling was limited to a limited number of very basic plays while SM was hitting us with everything but the kitchen sick (including a halfback pass on 3 and 25+ that got them out of a deep hole). Passing was there all night...they could not cover our WRs and wings but we didn't have time to throw because of breakdowns in protection. We also played a lot of kids who get very little game time. 1 week of practice as a team and the JV wins the game. Our second string varsity team would beat them by 40

I thought we did really well considering practice as a team for our JV consisted of lining them up in O, D and special team 20 min before the game. 2 of SM scores or scores set up were on special teams...punt blocked and recovered about the 10 and punt returned for a TD. Defensively we did pretty good...in 3 or 4 series we had them 3rd or 4th and long (over 20 yds) and a breakdown lets them out of the hole. Offensively the plays were there... just breakdowns in blocking assignments that killed TD plays. Play calling was limited to a limited number of very basic plays while SM was hitting us with everything but the kitchen sick (including a halfback pass on 3 and 25+ that got them out of a deep hole). Passing was there all night...they could not cover our WRs and wings but we didn't have time to throw because of breakdowns in protection. We also played a lot of kids who get very little game time. 1 week of practice as a team and the JV wins the game. Our second string varsity team would beat them by 40

How does Signal Mountain look? Physically! Are they big? Any athletes? Speed? How do they look?

Not trying to beat a dead horse but I could almost guarantee that a JV team for a 1A or 2A school doesnt do much practicing when it comes to special teams. The offense and defense they are running changes weekly cause they are trying to give the varsity a look at what they will see that upcoming Friday. I think the score is respectible and that the SP JV should be proud and that SM playing a varsity schedule would look about like any other start up program, alot of lopsided losses.

What classification will SM be in next year?

The Chattanooga times reported 1st day numbers as 380, I think. This would put them in 1A or 2A. Everyone in Chatt. knows the school will see a very larg increase next year. I guess it will depend if TSSAA goes on projected numbers or this year numbers.

How does Signal Mountain look? Physically! Are they big? Any athletes? Speed? How do they look?

They have some good looking kids but our JV team was able to handle them. They will be pretty good in a couple of years. A good example of the talent difference....SM's starting middle LB and FB transfered from SP because he wasn't getting any playing time at LB. At SP he was our 4th or 5th best Mike behind a freshman. On offense he was a starting guard and was not in the rotation at RB at all.

Not trying to beat a dead horse but I could almost guarantee that a JV team for a 1A or 2A school doesnt do much practicing when it comes to special teams. The offense and defense they are running changes weekly cause they are trying to give the varsity a look at what they will see that upcoming Friday. I think the score is respectible and that the SP JV should be proud and that SM playing a varsity schedule would look about like any other start up program, alot of lopsided losses.

The coaches were all proud of how we played. The JV plays Jasper, Whitwell, Grace and Seq and maybe one more and those will all be different stories