Knox Catholic versus Webb

chokeonaloaf

Anderson County is the top Region 2-3A team right now. Catholic plays Baylor, Anderson Co., and then Fulton. It is entirely possible for them to lose all three of those games. AC has the best combination of experience & talent in the region, been dominating the opposition, and have Catholic at AC this year. AC has the best QB in the Knox/Blount/Anderson Co. area in Paul Longmire. Vastly under-rated. Baylor is improved over last year's team, and always has talent (Kevin Cooper/Jacques McClendon), and that game is at Baylor. The last time Fulton started 0-3, Rogan was a JR, and they went to Catholic and destroyed Harrison Smith and that team by 4 TDs. Lastly, Catholic is very young. I understand they start 4 Soph OL, and 4 or 5 Soph on defense. They will get to the playoffs, but Anderson Co. will be in their way this year. Great RB, very good FB/LB, some very good OL/DL, and some nice skill guys. Lipscomb, Marshall Co., McMinn, and even Jackson South S., when they are clicking, are as good or better than Catholic at this point in time.

ruse?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catholic does not recruit. Every person on that team pays full tuition to the school.

I don't agree with this... there are several families who have a boy playing football at KCHS who do not pay full tuition. Technically it's not a scholarship or financial aid. KCHS is very good at finding the gray area and using it to there benefit and they aren't the only private playing in the public classification that's doing it either.

I was going by the unauthorized website poll. Anyway, Catholic is pretty good either way you look at it.

Team Record

1. Catholic (Knoxville) 4-0

2. David Lipscomb (Nashville) 3-0

3. McMinn Central (Englewood) 4-0

4. Giles County (Pulaski) 3-0

5. Howard Sch Of Academics & Tech (Chattanooga) 3-0

6. Marshall County (Lewisburg) 3-0

7. Dyersburg (Dyersburg) 2-1

8. Polk County (Benton) 3-0

9. South Side (Jackson) 3-1

10. Anderson County (Clinton) 3-0

Absolutely, Knoxville Catholic is a fantastic ball club no doubt about it I in no way was trying to take that away from them. They somehow every season come up with a power house football team that anyone in the state would agree it's nerve wracking having to play them because they could be an L on ANYONES scheduele.

Catholic does not recruit. I personally don't know how they get the players they do every year, but they do without recruitment. They are the only private school that does not give athletic scholarships. Every person on that team pays full tuition to the school.

I agree with you. People will call out then private schools that dominate because that is an excuse to turn to. Lipscomb faces the same accusations in middle tennessee. What they dont know is that any student at Lipscomb financial aid is not allowed to play sports. Does Knoxville Catholic have the same policy?

Catholic does not recruit. I personally don't know how they get the players they do every year, but they do without recruitment. They are the only private school that does not give athletic scholarships. Every person on that team pays full tuition to the school.

According to the TSSAA, a D-I team cannot allow any student who receives financial aid to play TSSAA sports, whether it is need based or not. I know personally of kids at CAK who wanted to but could not participate in sports because their family received financial aid. I respect Powersweep's knowledge and balanced posts, but I don't know that there IS a loophole to allow a kid to play if he receives aid. If that is really going on the details need to come out to the appropriate parties. If I am mis-stating the rule, please correct me.

I do know that every year, over and over, you hear people claiming that privates recruit and have scholarship players. Generally, they have no understanding of the rules for D-1 vs. D-2. When they are pressed, they never have any specific information; they are simply throwing darts at the privates. (Powersweep, not referring to you. If you have specifics we're all ears.) /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

According to the TSSAA, a D-I team cannot allow any student who receives financial aid to play TSSAA sports, whether it is need based or not. I know personally of kids at CAK who wanted to but could not participate in sports because their family received financial aid. I respect Powersweep's knowledge and balanced posts, but I don't know that there IS a loophole to allow a kid to play if he receives aid. If that is really going on the details need to come out to the appropriate parties. If I am mis-stating the rule, please correct me.

I do know that every year, over and over, you hear people claiming that privates recruit and have scholarship players. Generally, they have no understanding of the rules for D-1 vs. D-2. When they are pressed, they never have any specific information; they are simply throwing darts at the privates. (Powersweep, not referring to you. If you have specifics we're all ears.)

I don't know first hand because my son was never good enough to be "recruited" but i have friend that said Webb, CAK, and yes even Catholic recruited their son. Parents were told by a CAK parent that "everything would be worked out" outside of the school. they said this was legal. Webb told them they could apply for financial aid and "get it"- said this was also legal, Catholic told them a big portion would be covered by the church- said this was also legal.

Sounds like nothing illegal going on. Just recruiting.

Player is still at Powell and regrets it.

I am Catholic, so let me make a clarification here. My daughter is an Alumnus of Catholic, and now at UT. We were in the Catholic school system for 13 years. If you are a member of a parish in the east tn diocese, then each child you have receives a church subsidy to go to catholic schools. You get more with more children in the family. For one child, I only received $400.00 a year of support from our parish. That is all of the aid that is available at KCHS. NONE OTHER, BELIEVE ME.

The DII schools obviously offer financial aid, that's why they are in DII... The DII schools can offer needs based financial aid to any potential family. There are several DII schools that have music and drama students who are on financial aid as well as academically gifted ones. The athletes that are on aid in general are looking at an opportunity to get a better education by using aid to help pay the tuition and play sports at a school where they feel like they will have an opportunity to have good coaching and a chance to play college ball.

The aid is usually awarded by a national third party who evaluates the family's financial status much like those parents who are familiar with filling out a FAFSA application for college aid. Anyway, it's very rare for a family to get a "free ride". Most families in DII schools who get aid receive an amount that is based on their need. For example, a DII school could have 6 kids on aid and all 6 families may have received a different amount. These families still pay the balance of the tuition for their child to go to school there.

Some of the privates in DI work the gray area and use booster clubs to help families. The gray area could be a third party helping a family pay tuition etc. It's not a scholarship or financial aid by definition but the result is the same. These families are not paying the entire tuition.

The reality is that most privates have a small percentage of athletes on aid compared to the total number of students enrolled.

I agree with you. People will call out then private schools that dominate because that is an excuse to turn to. Lipscomb faces the same accusations in middle tennessee. What they dont know is that any student at Lipscomb financial aid is not allowed to play sports. Does Knoxville Catholic have the same policy?

Just passing through your thread and thought I'd throw out this info. CAK has the same policy in place as Lipscomb, "any student on financial aid is not allowed to participate in school athletics". Of course privates typically all get lumped together in the eyes of the general public. That policy at CAK is plainly presented, in writing, in the guidlines/handbook given to every student at the beginning of the year. Of course the Warriors have not obtained the lofty status some of the privates have with their football success, but maybe one day. Division II schools of course are allowed to offer financial aid/scholarships if the student qualifies, but they must play each other in regards to playoffs and championships.