best 32 teams in the state

patriot04

People say why doesnt Maryville schedule teams like B.A. and MBA but i dont see those schools ringing maryvilles phone off the hook to play either. I think that kind of goes both ways. Maryville football is the standard in the state of tennessee right now.

The Apocalypse must be imminent when there are even any remote implications of MBA and Brentwood Academy ducking competition. Let??™s see what we??™ve witnessed since the advent of DII:

1997/98 ??“ MBA??™s non-conference schedule includes defending 4A runner-up Knoxville Halls and defending (and future) 4A champion Pearl-Cohn. P-C??™s only loss in 1997 is to MBA. PC is defending again in 1998.

1999/2000 ??“ MBA??™s non-conference schedule in 1999 includes a game at Lincoln County??™s ???The Pit???, a game at defending 5A champion Oakland, and a home game with Bolles (FL), a program less than 4 years removed from a number one national ranking for much of the 1995 season.

2001/2002 - MBA??™s non-conference schedule includes a matchup with the state??™s all-time wins leader, Dobyns-Bennett.

2003/2004 ??“ MBA??™s non-conference schedule includes a matchup against Trinity (KY), fresh off a Top 5 national ranking in 2002 and having the one of the nation??™s top-rated quarterbacks, and an athletic northern Mississippi team (Southaven). Trinity wins KY state in 2003.

2005/2006 ??“ MBA??™s non-conference schedule in 2005 includes Trinity again (and a state title winner in 2005 and 2006) and Byrnes (SC), a team itself destined for a Top 5 national ranking in 2005. Byrnes drops off the schedule in 2006 for another KY team (Dunbar).

2007/2008 - MBA??™s non-conference schedule in 2007 includes Independence (future 5A runner-up in 2007), defending 5A runner-up Ravenwood, and defending 4A runner-up Hillsboro. Independence drops off in 2008 and is replaced with Cincinnati Moeller, a program with multiple national titles and member of what is arguably one of the nation??™s most competitive leagues in a football-rich state.

Look at Brentwood Academy and it??™s much of the same: many past and future large DI classification champs beaten (Brentwood, Ravenwood, Smyrna), not to mention an out-of-conference slate that spans about 8 states ??“ including Alaska (as if Brentwood Academy would rather go to Alaska than east Tennessee?). And that slate includes programs like Cincinnati St. Xavier (league member with Moeller and itself a mythical national champion in 2007) and Prattville, the back-to-back large school champ in Alabama.

No, Maryville??™s phone is not ringing off the hook from MBA and BA (when a school plays the same non-conference schedule for 12 years, I think the message is clear that gate/county games are more important than marquee matchups, and I have no problem with that whatsoever), but even if Maryville had schedule openings, how could you even suggest that MBA and BA would not make that phone call? I challenge anyone to name two programs that have shown the ???any time, any place??? rallying cry that those two Nashville-area schools have shown in putting together their non-conference slates for the past dozen seasons. And, given that MBA and BA play in a classification that has, far and away, dominated all other classifications in DI in head-to-head matchups since the split, the fact that MBA and BA still choose to tackle their monsters schedules says even more about those schools??™ views on competition.

And, as for ???Maryville football [being the] the standard in the state of Tennessee right now???, I certainly will not dispute anyone who espouses that belief. Sixty-four wins in a row and four titles in a row is a feat that makes a program more than deserving of recognition as being the standard in any state. However, I can guarantee you that there are plenty of dissenting views as well ??“ both in this state and around the country ??“ that label other Tennessee schools as the standard, and those people aren??™t exactly standing on wooden legs themselves.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Apocalypse must be imminent when there are even any remote implications of MBA and Brentwood Academy ducking competition. Let??™s see what we??™ve witnessed since the advent of DII:

1997/98 ??“ MBA??™s non-conference schedule includes defending 4A runner-up Knoxville Halls and defending (and future) 4A champion Pearl-Cohn. P-C??™s only loss in 1997 is to MBA. PC is defending again in 1998.

1999/2000 ??“ MBA??™s non-conference schedule in 1999 includes a game at Lincoln County??™s ???The Pit???, a game at defending 5A champion Oakland, and a home game with Bolles (FL), a program less than 4 years removed from a number one national ranking for much of the 1995 season.

2001/2002 - MBA??™s non-conference schedule includes a matchup with the state??™s all-time wins leader, Dobyns-Bennett.

2003/2004 ??“ MBA??™s non-conference schedule includes a matchup against Trinity (KY), fresh off a Top 5 national ranking in 2002 and having the one of the nation??™s top-rated quarterbacks, and an athletic northern Mississippi team (Southaven). Trinity wins KY state in 2003.

2005/2006 ??“ MBA??™s non-conference schedule in 2005 includes Trinity again (and a state title winner in 2005 and 2006) and Byrnes (SC), a team itself destined for a Top 5 national ranking in 2005. Byrnes drops off the schedule in 2006 for another KY team (Dunbar).

2007/2008 - MBA??™s non-conference schedule in 2007 includes Independence (future 5A runner-up in 2007), defending 5A runner-up Ravenwood, and defending 4A runner-up Hillsboro. Independence drops off in 2008 and is replaced with Cincinnati Moeller, a program with multiple national titles and member of what is arguably one of the nation??™s most competitive leagues in a football-rich state.

Look at Brentwood Academy and it??™s much of the same: many past and future large DI classification champs beaten (Brentwood, Ravenwood, Smyrna), not to mention an out-of-conference slate that spans about 8 states ??“ including Alaska (as if Brentwood Academy would rather go to Alaska than east Tennessee?). And that slate includes programs like Cincinnati St. Xavier (league member with Moeller and itself a mythical national champion in 2007) and Prattville, the back-to-back large school champ in Alabama.

No, Maryville??™s phone is not ringing off the hook from MBA and BA (when a school plays the same non-conference schedule for 12 years, I think the message is clear that gate/county games are more important than marquee matchups, and I have no problem with that whatsoever), but even if Maryville had schedule openings, how could you even suggest that MBA and BA would not make that phone call? I challenge anyone to name two programs that have shown the ???any time, any place??? rallying cry that those two Nashville-area schools have shown in putting together their non-conference slates for the past dozen seasons. And, given that MBA and BA play in a classification that has, far and away, dominated all other classifications in DI in head-to-head matchups since the split, the fact that MBA and BA still choose to tackle their monsters schedules says even more about those schools??™ views on competition.

And, as for ???Maryville football [being the] the standard in the state of Tennessee right now???, I certainly will not dispute anyone who espouses that belief. Sixty-four wins in a row and four titles in a row is a feat that makes a program more than deserving of recognition as being the standard in any state. However, I can guarantee you that there are plenty of dissenting views as well ??“ both in this state and around the country ??“ that label other Tennessee schools as the standard, and those people aren??™t exactly standing on wooden legs themselves.

Well said. Thank you.

Rollredroll,

Intelligent and thoughtful post. Most Maryville fans that also know anything about the wider world of high school football deeply respect BA's and MBA's achievements. I certaninly have never thought that anybody in this mix was "chicken" to play anybody.

I see this as a case of different philosophies of what high school football should be, a case of differeing economic equations, and the respect Maryville has for its traditions and long-established rivalries. As I understand it, the Nike sponsorship and the new classification system will serve to give Maryville chances to step into new arenas of competition.

We understand MBA's position, pride, and perspective on their team. It makes sense. What you will find are Maryville fans calling out posters who seem to delight in reckless comments like "greatly overrated" that tarnish the body of work that much blood sweat and tears has produced.

Rollredroll,

Intelligent and thoughtful post. Most Maryville that also know anything about the wider world of high school football deeply respect BA's and MBA's achievements. I certaninly have never thought that anybody in this mix was "chicken" to play anybody.

I see this as a case of different philosophies of what high school football should be, a case of differeing economic equations, and the respect Maryville has for its traditions and long-established rivalries. As I understand it, the Nike sponsorship and the new classification system will serve to give Maryville chances to step into new arenas of competition.

We understand MBA's position, pride, and perspective on their team. It makes sense. What you will find are Maryville fans calling out posters who seem to delight in reckless comments like "greatly overrated" that tarnish the body of work that much blood sweat and tears has produced.

Very well spoken fatherreb .... That last sentence Is what should be remembered by Rollredroll , BigRedDad , and others , Just like MBA , Maryville gets attacked all the time , and just like MBA's posters , we feel we should defend Maryville from the ridiculous accusations and name calling . I've said this over and over , and this is in a totally respectful way ... Maryville is to public schools , what MBA & BA are to private schools . There should be plenty of respect all the way around between our schools .

What about MUS this year, they beat Olive Branch who is number 2 in Mississippi (only behind South Panola, the perennial powerhouse of MS) and was 34th in the nation when they beat them. They also beat Melrose, and they still have to go up against CBHS and Cookeville in their regular season. Then in the playoffs they will most likely have to go through either MBA or BA to get a state championship. So if they do end up winning state, i think they should be #1 in TN by the end of the year. I know its still a little early in the season, but i think MUS will turn some heads this year.

What about MUS this year, they beat Olive Branch who is number 2 in Mississippi (only behind South Panola, the perennial powerhouse of MS) and was 34th in the nation when they beat them. They also beat Melrose, and they still have to go up against CBHS and Cookeville in their regular season. Then in the playoffs they will most likely have to go through either MBA or BA to get a state championship. So if they do end up winning state, i think they should be #1 in TN by the end of the year. I know its still a little early in the season, but i think MUS will turn some heads this year.

I hope you do. I just hope that if we meet in the playoffs it is you coming Nashville. I hate that trip to Memphis.

Very well spoken fatherreb .... That last sentence Is what should be remembered by Rollredroll , BigRedDad , and others , Just like MBA , Maryville gets attacked all the time , and just like MBA's posters , we feel we should defend Maryville from the ridiculous accusations and name calling . I've said this over and over , and this is in a totally respectful way ... Maryville is to public schools , what MBA & BA are to private schools . There should be plenty of respect all the way around between our schools .

I don't disagree with any of this. Pepvol I challenge you however to go back through this thread and find a place where I used the term "overrated" in describing Maryville, becaqse I haven't. I do have great respect for any group of 16-18 year old that can be as consistant and as focused as this Maryville group has been over the last few years. That is a tremendous accomplishment. After a while I am sure the coaches have trouble making the boys think they are not unbeatable. Through this string of wins though there are likely to have been teams around the state good enough to beat but you haven't played them. Not many teams most likely but some. I have said this before, last year MBA and Maryville would have been a heck of a game. The teams don't play so we just end up fussing at each other.

My last comment is this. I can't speak for any other private school but MBA, but if you look closely you will see that we don't have boys coming from all over middle Tennessee to play football. We get boys from around Nashville, but I would bet that we have more boys from outside Davidson County that do no play sports then we have that do.

1. MBA

2. Franklin

3. Henry County

4. Maryville

5. Hillsboro

6. Brentwood

7. Farragut

8. Dobyns-Bennett

9. MUS

10. Ootlewah

11. Brentwood Academy

12. Alcoa

13. Whitehaven

14. McCallie

15. Milan

others recieving votes, Melrose, Chridtian Brothers, Independence, Father Ryan,

Lots of unknown out there right now, quality of wins is still up in the air, Hillsboro has defiitely been tested early, Franklin has played a difficult schedule, MBA has played a tough schedule, Henry county has been impressive, Brentwood is a stable program.

Your are mentally Ill if you dont think Alcoa could beat Ootlewah, Hillsboro, and Henry Co this year

Your are mentally Ill if you dont think Alcoa could beat Ootlewah, Hillsboro, and Henry Co this year

Not that you shouldn't have a little swagger, but Alcoa fans shouldn't be near as upset over someone ranking Hillsboro over Alcoa as Maryville fans should be of Franklin and Henry County being ranked ahead of Maryville. I agree that Alcoa should be ranked in the Top 5 though. You'll notice I ranked Alcoa #4 myself behind only MBA, Maryville, and BA. Good luck to Alcoa in getting a fifth consecutive 2A State Championship!

Rollredroll,

Intelligent and thoughtful post. Most Maryville that also know anything about the wider world of high school football deeply respect BA's and MBA's achievements. I certaninly have never thought that anybody in this mix was "chicken" to play anybody.

Sir, that was a great post! There is little question MBA & BA are to be respected for their program and what they mean to TN HS Football, excluding some of the legal situations. I can easly say no one is really afraid of anyone and the streak is not being protected. Maryville is roughly playing the same teams they have been playing for over 25 years now. Some schools have changed or in-corporated but mostly the same teams.

I have always thought though, private vs. public not to be a level playing field. Where money is involved it seldom is. Maryville has great workout and practice facilities because of money. Much of it donated and quality facilities do make a difference. The program also generates allot of money because of the success and some big rivilaries.

One day, and maybe through some of this new alignment Maryville may have to play MBA or BA, who knows? MHS has never played MBA but has a 2-0 record vs. BA! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />