Dobyns Bennett Non-Conference Scheduling of the Future

tricitiessportsfan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems nobody wants to play the giant, only compounding our problems.

If D-B and Morristown West played in Morristown, the crowd would have to get there at 5:30 because the Indian band would take up the entire visitor's stands. That band is amazing. 400-plus is outstanding. I would personally love to see the mathcup because I would like to personally attend a game and see the Tribe Nation and the band and the atmosphere at D-B.

Morristown West could be in play if they are unable to get the games they want. From my understanding, West will be in a conference next with Jefferson County, Sevier County, Seymour, Cocke County, Cherokee and Morristown East. Greeneville is yet to decide whether they will play up because they will surely be placed in 4A, but they could play up to 5A. If they do, they will be in the conference with the rest of these, but I've been told that Greeneville will come off the West schedule if they are not part of the conference due to the wild card playoff deal.

No offense, but outside of a few of those schools that would be an awful conference. Seymour? Cocke? Cherokee? Those teams aren't even competitive in the smaller classifications where they reside now. With us being "strong armed" in to playing bottom feeders like these and only one other (6A)5A school in the region we will have to schedule the NFC East just to qualify for the playoffs. By the way, hope the gas savings are worth it because some of those gates won't pay the water bill to flush the urinals. Thanks T$$AA for trying your best to kill HS football.

No offense, but outside of a few of those schools that would be an awful conference. Seymour? Cocke? Cherokee? Those teams aren't even competitive in the smaller classifications where they reside now. With us being "strong armed" in to playing bottom feeders like these and only one other (6A)5A school in the region we will have to schedule the NFC East just to qualify for the playoffs. By the way, hope the gas savings are worth it because some of those gates won't pay the water bill to flush the urinals. Thanks T$$AA for trying your best to kill HS football.

I agree completely with what you are saying there SCBear. Cocke County and Seymour are not good additions to the conference, but we're stuck because of where we are located. Don't sleep on Cherokee though. They are a young team this year, and they will be pretty good next year. Most of their starters this season are sophomores and juniors. But for Sevier County, if you guys play well in the conference and take care of business against Jeff County, you should be in no problem.

OK.....HERE WE GO AGAIN..........

No, that would mean your on your way back to Kingsport after another beat down. Much like the one that DB gave you in 2006.

DB - 44

South - 0

Enjoy it while you can Jack. Hey, this could FINALLY be the year for the Mighty Indians you think? You better advance while you can this year, because the east TN 4A playoff roadblock (better known as Maryville) will be heading to a stadium near you soon. Then you can forget about it.

No offense taken but if I am reading the changes right, then at least one of you (Sevier or Jeff) automatically qualify for the 6A playoffs each year anyway since there are only two of you in the district. Also, if both 6A teams finish 1st and 2nd in the district, then both are automatically qualified for the playoffs. That appears to me to be a lot better opportunity than the 5A teams will have in district 2.

No offense taken but if I am reading the changes right, then at least one of you (Sevier or Jeff) automatically qualify for the 6A playoffs each year anyway since there are only two of you in the district. Also, if both 6A teams finish 1st and 2nd in the district, then both are automatically qualified for the playoffs. That appears to me to be a lot better opportunity than the 5A teams will have in district 2.

Thats correct, the winner of the Jeff County/Sevier Co game will automatically make the playoffs starting next year. Personally I don't like it, but thats the TSSAA for you

Enjoy it while you can Jack. Hey, this could FINALLY be the year for the Mighty Indians you think? You better advance while you can this year, because the east TN 4A playoff roadblock (better known as Maryville) will be heading to a stadium near you soon. Then you can forget about it.

Just wishful thinking on your part. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Enjoy it whille you can? We have my man , for many years and many more to come. This year last year next year ....ha ha!! WE ARE DB!

If I understand the likely reclassifications, the Indians must play:

THS

South

Science Hill

Boone

Crockett

Volunteer

others ?

Certainly, Betsy will drop as they and North are big beneficiaries of the reclassification.

I would assume D-B would want to keep Sevier Co, Jeff Co, and OR. That would give them one big out of conference game. But I would not preclude the Indians scheduling other closer teams like M-East, M-West, or

G'ville. Also Halls might be an option. In this, as in a lot of things, the band will probably decide.

Using the enrollment numbers curently shown on the TSSAA's web site, District 1 may look like this:

6A - Sci Hill, D-B, & Crockett

5A - Boone, Tennessee, Volunteer, S South, S Central, & S East

If that holds true, then each D1 school will have to play eight district games....that just leaves 2 openings for non-district play. That seriously reduces options to continue traditional rivalries. If the intent of all this is to reduce travel expense then a lot of those slots may be filled by teams from District 2:

6A - Jeff Co & Sevier County

5A - M East, M West, Cherokee, Cocke County, Seymour, & Greeneville (probable to play up).

I do not know if this has been mentioned yet but one outcome of the changes due next year may be schools deciding to move up a tier because the chances of qualifying for a playoff spot may be greater than the tier in which they are placed. District 2 would be a prime example of this if one of the 5A-to-be schools moved up to 6A; the chances of making the playoffs would be better against 2 teams than 5 although, by stepping up, the level of competition (D-B, O Ridge, etc.) rises as well.