Congrats to 2 TN Teams on making NATIONAL RANKINGS!

fargen01

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the significance of the "Nike contract" with Maryville? MBA was wearing Nike uniforms four or five years ago (although, now they are Under Armour). Does Maryville get some sort of added financial benefit by wearing Nike?

Not that I am aware of. The big deal is that the players get a lot of the equipment cheap. So a player can get a new pair of gloves or new cleats a lot cheaper than going to Dicks, or wherever, and buying them that way. So I think that is the benefit for Maryville, and Nike gets the benefit of us showing off their gear. Of course there is probably more to it that I am totally unaware of, but that is one benefit the players get.

Not that I am aware of. The big deal is that the players get a lot of the equipment cheap. So a player can get a new pair of gloves or new cleats a lot cheaper than going to Dicks, or wherever, and buying them that way. So I think that is the benefit for Maryville, and Nike gets the benefit of us showing off their gear. Of course there is probably more to it that I am totally unaware of, but that is one benefit the players get.

The Nike uniforms are very expensive and cost the school a great deal of money. So why does Maryville do it? Well exposure is certainly one of the reasons but Nike also comes to Maryville and sets a camp called SPARQ training. The acronym stands for something but I do not know what it is. The training is based on a set of skills that are done that lead to a score that each player receives. Kind of like an NFL combine. After the regions are realigned for next year and if there are openings on the schedule it may possibly lead to games with other high profile Nike schools. Even out of state schools but Maryville will have to wait for realignment to see. Hey just maybe everybody will finally get what they want on here. Maryville traveling to Georgia or wherever to play "Powerhouse High School" to finally play a nationally ranked team. Then maybe everybody will shut up about who Maryville plays but I doubt it.

Maryville could win 200 games in a row against 4A,5A and D2 teams and someone would still criticize them about not proving themselves.

I will be honest with everyone. I have no desire to drive 400-500 miles to watch Maryville play someone. I could care less about Maryville playing Miami Northwestern,Byrnes,Southlake Carrol or some other National Powerhouse.

Maryville should have a chance to play someone who they haven't played. If the regiona are like they are in Basketball then Maryville should have 2 openings. Maryville would have Alcoa,Farragut,William Blount,Heritage,Bearden,Sevier County,South Doyle and Lenoir City. That is 8 games. Maryville will have to find 2 more teams to play. I would love to see Maryville pick up MBA or Brentwood Academy in 1 slot. I would love to see Maryville pick up Oak Ridge,Dobyns Bennett,Catholic or Fulton with the other one.

Maryville could win 200 games in a row against 4A,5A and D2 teams and someone would still criticize them about not proving themselves.

I will be honest with everyone. I have no desire to drive 400-500 miles to watch Maryville play someone. I could care less about Maryville playing Miami Northwestern,Byrnes,Southlake Carrol or some other National Powerhouse.

Maryville should have a chance to play someone who they haven't played. If the regiona are like they are in Basketball then Maryville should have 2 openings. Maryville would have Alcoa,Farragut,William Blount,Heritage,Bearden,Sevier County,South Doyle and Lenoir City. That is 8 games. Maryville will have to find 2 more teams to play. I would love to see Maryville pick up MBA or Brentwood Academy in 1 slot. I would love to see Maryville pick up Oak Ridge,Dobyns Bennett,Catholic or Fulton.

I think you are being to hard on your fellow fans. If Maryville were to play the schedule you propose ( I know Farragut is good this year, and I only know the others by reputation), and add MBA/BA and OR/DB, and go undefeated, I don't think you would hear anymore about strengh of schedule.

^^ haha I disagree with that. There is always a new excuse that pops up. They don't play anybody, they aren't 5A, they recruit, they pay off the officials, officials are on their side, etc, etc. If we beat Farragut and MBA in one year then someone would say something like, "Well, they aren't as good as they were in the past. Maryville should have played BA and DB instead! Then they wouldn't be undefeated." Everyone always seems to want to give an excuse other than Maryville is a bunch of dedicated kids who have played together since they were 5 years old who know how to win and are very well coached.

^^ haha I disagree with that. There is always a new excuse that pops up. They don't play anybody, they aren't 5A, they recruit, they pay off the officials, officials are on their side, etc, etc. If we beat Farragut and MBA in one year then someone would say something like, "Well, they aren't as good as they were in the past. Maryville should have played BA and DB instead! Then they wouldn't be undefeated." Everyone always seems to want to give an excuse other than Maryville is a bunch of dedicated kids who have played together since they were 5 years old who know how to win and are very well coached.

No truer post has been made in this thread or any other one like it.

Maryville should have a chance to play someone who they haven't played. If the regiona are like they are in Basketball then Maryville should have 2 openings. Maryville would have Alcoa,Farragut,William Blount,Heritage,Bearden,Sevier County,South Doyle and Lenoir City. That is 8 games. Maryville will have to find 2 more teams to play. I would love to see Maryville pick up MBA or Brentwood Academy in 1 slot. I would love to see Maryville pick up Oak Ridge,Dobyns Bennett,Catholic or Fulton.

I think you are being to hard on your fellow fans. If Maryville were to play the schedule you propose ( I know Farragut is good this year, and I only know the others by reputation), and add MBA/BA and OR/DB, and go undefeated, I don't think you would hear anymore about strengh of schedule.

Maybe not from you but there would still be someone say. "Yea but they haven't proved themselves nationally" No matter what Maryville does someone will criticize them and that is okay.

Maryville may take a little grief on coachT but it pales in comparison to what you would hear about Maryville on Knoxville Area Sportstalk shows. All Tony Basilio has to do is brag on Maryville a little bit and the phones ring off the hook. Basilio does it on purpose to ###### off those other schools fans.

I agree with your post Maryville Rebels.

Here are some great ones I have heard on Knoxville Sportstalk and chat boards like these 2 boards.

http://www.spsboard.com/SPS/index.php?board=8.0

http://smashsouthsports.org/forums/index.php

Maryville fudges the numbers so they can stay in 4A. Maryville is too scared to play 5A. George Quarles is a better recruiter than Phil Fulmer. Maryville has Lynn Brown on the TSSAA board of control so Ronnie Carter lets Maryville cheat. Maryville runs illegal practices. Maryville doesn't count vocational students. Maryville is too scared to play Alcoa later in the year. Maryville charges tuition to out of zone students unless you are a great football player. Maryville will get a parent a job at Denso or Alcoa if they have a son that is a stud football player.