Powell vs. Maryville Freshman game

PowellPanther4life

Fellers thanks fer clearing that up....West and Guy may then end up playing in 3 games a week.....Jacob West and Brandon Guy are the first freshman that have contributed to the varsity....at least this early......With the exception of kicker Zach Sharp....Not Stewart, Brock, Douglas, Burnette, Maples, Tank, Gary Tucker etc, have played this early.....All those guys did dress with tha varsity after tha freshman season was over.......As far as the freshman being tested, they barely beat Alcoa JV 22-21.....Trailed tha Tornadoes 21-7 going into tha 4th until West scorred 2 late TD's and a 2 point conversion....

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fellers thanks fer clearing that up....West and Guy may then end up playing in 3 games a week.....Jacob West and Brandon Guy are the first freshman that have contributed to the varsity....at least this early......With the exception of kicker Zach Sharp....Not Stewart, Brock, Douglas, Burnette, Maples, Tank, Gary Tucker etc, have played this early.....All those guys did dress with tha varsity after tha freshman season was over.......As far as the freshman being tested, they barely beat Alcoa JV 22-21.....Trailed tha Tornadoes 21-7 going into tha 4th until West scorred 2 late TD's and a 2 point conversion....

STARS............how did the Alcoa/Maryville Middle school game played on the 17th go? Never heard a score?

I heard there were 6,500 at that game. Can someone confirm this?

There was an excellent crowd for a middle school game, but nowhere near 6500. Everyone got to see a great game. I would say the visitor side MIGHT have been 1/2 full. The home side was also about 1/2 full. People had plenty of room to spread out in the middle section of the home side, and most of the visitor side were sitting at the South end of the stands due to the sun. Both teams gathered together in the middle of the field at the end of the game. Both coaches had nothing but praise for the play of the other team.

I had a Maryville parent come up to me and shake my hand and congratulate me. He told me that that was the first time That group of kids has been beaten in 6 years. Said they had won something like 52 games in a row. I just wanted to know if there was any validity to that at all. I wouldn't say that Maryville got "out physicalled." I thought both teams got after it, and played a really good football game. The things that hurt Maryville in this game were the same things that hurt any team in a close game. They turned the ball over (two fumbles, a bad snap on a punt that resulted in a safety, and a pick late which had no bearing on the game). Plus they had some costly penalties. I remember a block in the back on a kickoff return that pinned Maryville deep. That may have been the same drive that the long snapped sailed over the punter's head. One fumble was on a kickoff in the second half (perhaps the opening kickoff) where Maryville had a big return and Darian Logan #17 made a big hit on the return man and the ball bounced straight up in the air to Powell's best receiver (Justin Wood) who was covering on the kick. That was a big momentum shift. It's really a shame that Maryville is going to come off the schedule next year for Powell. It would be amazing to see these two teams lock horn in 3 years.

Like HTV said, success breeds success. If Powell fans will be patient with Coach Lowe and Co. things will get turned around. There is enough talent in the JR and Sophomore classes this year that a next year will be a solid year and the freshman and eighth grade classes are loaded. I have a feeling that these next few years will be similar to the Miligan, Huber, Watts era in that annals of Powell football.

No offense or anything, but it was kinda ridiculous that the freshman team (mostly the coach) was that excited about beating Maryville's freshman team. I wanted to go up the their coach and say, "Congratulations, you just won the Super Bowl, what are you going to do next?" I know the guy is young, but it was silly to watch him celebrating at mid-field with his team... jumping up and down and chanting. The guy is a coach. Shake hands and leave the celebrating to your team.

I had a Maryville parent come up to me and shake my hand and congratulate me. He told me that that was the first time That group of kids has been beaten in 6 years. Said they had won something like 52 games in a row. I just wanted to know if there was any validity to that at all. I wouldn't say that Maryville got "out physicalled." I thought both teams got after it, and played a really good football game. The things that hurt Maryville in this game were the same things that hurt any team in a close game. They turned the ball over (two fumbles, a bad snap on a punt that resulted in a safety, and a pick late which had no bearing on the game). Plus they had some costly penalties. I remember a block in the back on a kickoff return that pinned Maryville deep. That may have been the same drive that the long snapped sailed over the punter's head. One fumble was on a kickoff in the second half (perhaps the opening kickoff) where Maryville had a big return and Darian Logan #17 made a big hit on the return man and the ball bounced straight up in the air to Powell's best receiver (Justin Wood) who was covering on the kick. That was a big momentum shift. It's really a shame that Maryville is going to come off the schedule next year for Powell. It would be amazing to see these two teams lock horn in 3 years.

Like HTV said, success breeds success. If Powell fans will be patient with Coach Lowe and Co. things will get turned around. There is enough talent in the JR and Sophomore classes this year that a next year will be a solid year and the freshman and eighth grade classes are loaded. I have a feeling that these next few years will be similar to the Miligan, Huber, Watts era in that annals of Powell football.

I agree, patience is the key. Every school/community produces varying levels of talent year in and year out. Throughout the early-mid 90s, Powell seemed to really compete for the region title every year (even though Cleveland was on a winning streak of their own). During the late 90s, Powell won more than 3 games only once (1998 I believe). Since then, Powell has earned a playoff berth in every season. Talent fluctuates, just like the stock market. Even championship teams (past and present) like Maryville and Cleveland have gone through it.

[/quote

I know they lost a couple two years ago as 7th graders and maybe one as 8th graders not real sure.