Gallatin (4-0) @ Smyrna (2-3)

Gtowner

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huge lines is right. Looking at Fair's book they have Eady at 6-2 295, Woods 6-2 270, Cadeena 6-0 235, Smith 6-2 235, Richardson, 6-3 215, and Carter 6-3 300. Not sure who is starting but they are huge none the less. Their defense is definitely their strength but when you have a Blue Cross Bowl MVP in the backfield, it could be a long night if Bryson gets loose. Not too mention Hicks is getting some quality playing time as well. Gallatin is gonna have to play some good ball to come out with a win.

What! It is Smyrna's homecoming.....hummm more disrespect.

if gallatin plays like they did against lebanon, then theres no doubt they will come home with a win. 5 touchdowns in 5 drives. ive never seen a football game played with more heart.

Bulldog86, I appreciate your posts on the Gallatin/McKenley thread. Lots of good info. I also like playing the region 4 teams cause there is usually a good discussion on this board. I have seen several Gallatin/Smyrna games and the "big play" usually comes into effect. Let me recap the last couple and then two more notable ones.

2007- Sonny Gray was 18 of 25 for 228yards with Wilkes catching 11 for 159 and three touchdowns. Some of those receptions were phenominal. Smyrna never let up after the 1st quarter. Even Bryson broke the 100 yard barrier. Smyrna 45 Gallatin 14

2004- Charles Orona had 18 carries for 167 yards and Marsalous Johnson(from Gallatin originally) had 22 carries for 150 yards. Defensive adjustments by Smyrna sealed the win for the Bulldogs and gave Gallatin their first loss of the season. Smyrna 24 Gallatin 19

2003-This was an awesome game. Over 850 yards of combined offense. Gallatin's Jamison Link had 20 carries for 224 yards. After a Smyrna punt nailed Gallatin back on the 3 yard line, Link took a quarterback sneak 97 yards to paydirt out running Charles Orona. Smyrna trailing 38-21 in the 4th came back behind David Wolke's arm to get the score to 38-35 with 2 mins remaining. Smyrna executes an onside kick and completes a 49 yard pass to set up a first and goal at the 1. Then the Smyrna runningback gets a vicious hit and fumbles with Gallatin recovering the ball for the win. Gallatin 38 Smyrna 35

2002- Gallatin scored 21 points in the 4th to get the 21-14 win. Highlighted by an 82 yard run by Jamison Link and a Chance Johnson 80 yard run from the QB spot. Smyrna fumbled 2 times in the final quarter that Gallatin took advantage of.

2001- Sophmore sensation David Wolke got picked off 4 times. 3 by Aaron Kenyon the Gallatin cornerback. Smyrna still had a chance to win the ballgame before a late pass was knocked down by a Gallatin reserve playing due to an injury to a starter. Gallatin 16 Smyrna 10

1987- Gallatin was ranked 2nd in the state at 5-0 and Smyrna was 3-2. Gallatin sporting a huge backfield nicknamed the "Fright Night Backfield" consisting of Corey Lewis 190, Rodney Mitchell 230, Chuck Gibson 225 and Sammy Malone 265. Gallatin fumbled twice inside the 3 and O J Smith led the Bulldogs on a 4th quarter drive to win the ballgame 17-14. Ironically Smyrna beat Brentwood Aca earlier in the year and finished the season 4-6 and out of the playoffs. Gallatin went on to play in the State Championship as did BA.

1978- With Gallatin leading 19-0 in the 4th quarter and pinned deep in their territory. Gallatin fumbled the ball only to be picked out of midair by Smyrna's Vic Gilley and ran 95 yards the wrong way to Gallatin's endzone. It is said that both teams were blocking for him. Once in the endzone he was hit by Denver Howell from Gallatin and fumbled the ball. Gallatin recovered the ball for a touchdown. Gallatin went on to win that game 25-0 and the their first State Title that year.

What does that mean for this game...not much but it is safe to say big plays do dominate this series. Too bad you won't be around to see this one.

What a GREAT recap! Man that brings back some mixed feelings........some of relief that those guys are gone......and some of vERY deep admiration.

Hey GWAVE1 I'm glad you found my posts about Canton Mckinley helpfull and I wish yall luck when you go up there in the future. Is it part of the Herbie classic or just a scheduled out of state game?

I have only been to 2 of the games you wrote about in your post. 04 and 07. Those other games seem to have been battles except for the 78 game. From what I've heard for some of the Smyrna folks, this is and old time 4A rival game and it should be another battle.

I will have you know GWAVE1 that when I first came down here in 98, I was living in Antioch and I ask some guys form work where to go to watch some good football? All people were telling me was that I needed to go see the Green Wave play in Gallitan. They told me that you all were not as good as you were in the past but you could not beat the passion for HS football Gallitan has. I did and I was impressed. You all got the win over Hendersonville that night.

Thanks for the back round and enjoy the game.

P.S. Thanks for rubbing it in that I won't be their my friend. Way to step on a guy when he's down.

Ill be thinking of the boys and hoping they play hard.

Not sure about the Canton McKinley game. My first guess is it is just the season opener.

Gallatin and Smyrna used to be 9AAA district rivals back in the days of 3 classifications. Smyrna always had some runningback or quarterback that could make some good plays back then.

I am hearing a lot of talk about this weeks game on the street. Gallatin will have to play at their best to beat the Bulldogs. This will be the toughest test so far for the Green Wave especially with that Smryna defense. This game could very well be a low scoring affair.

I really hope this isn't the game I've been referring to as the one where Gallatin will find itself in a position having to throw the ball. I do, however, hope they choose to do so. Either way, I don't see Smyrna's defense being THAT much better than Lebanon or Mt. Juliet. The Bulldogs are definitely going to have to put up more than 17 in this one if they are planning to win, because Gallatin has shown for a month straight that they are going to score in the 30's or 40's. Green Wave wins this one 37-14.

I really hope this isn't the game I've been referring to as the one where Gallatin will find itself in a position having to throw the ball. I do, however, hope they choose to do so. Either way, I don't see Smyrna's defense being THAT much better than Lebanon or Mt. Juliet. The Bulldogs are definitely going to have to put up more than 17 in this one if they are planning to win, because Gallatin has shown for a month straight that they are going to score in the 30's or 40's. Green Wave wins this one 37-14.

As much as I would like to see Gallatin hang up 30+ on Smyrna, it just ain't gonna happen Squosh. Gallatin has a potent offense, much more so than the past few years, but Smyrna is the best D that they have faced and probably will face all year. Like Gwave said earlier, I think this one will be a bit more low scoring. However, I do agree that the Dawgs will have to score more than 17 to beat the Wave.

I am gonna take Gallatin 21-10

I have seen Lebanon and Mt. Juliet's Defenses and let me assure you that the Smyrna D is much better. Very, Very Fast..............Very phisical.

Although, like I have said in a few other posts, they play very aggressive and tend to give up a big play or two.

My pick is Smyrna 20 Gallitan 17.

A Special teams play or Big turnover will win it.

I'm like Gtowner, I'd love to see put up 30+ on Smyrna but I just don't see that happening.... they are still a good football team and they will bring it all night. Gallatins line had been a huge reason for the offensive success so far this season. Are they for real? They will have all they want from the boys in the purple jerseys on Friday night, so we'll know soon enough. That's where, IMO, the game will be won or lost.

GHS 24

SHS 17

I respect your opinion but Smyrna is not the same team they were in week 1 or 2 or 3.

I'm not sure what team you play for but Lebanon the only team to played them both in the regular season. You should not judge a team by commen opponents. Different teams match up differently with other teams.

24 point loss? WOW!! That sounds like a bit much in this one. I could be wrong.

ok since they are not the same as week 1 2 or 3 how bout week 5. i play for blackman. and no disrespect for anyone at smyrna cause they beat us and a win is a win and i have the upmost respect for coach williams. he is a GREAT coach. but i just dont see smyrna comming close to beating gallitan. when we scrimmaged gallitan they had a good offense especially in the redzone when they lined up in a smokestack. i dont know i could be completly wrong but i just dont see smyrna comming close.

I was just thinking about Jamison Link and that 97 yd QB sneak against Smyrna. He was so much fun to watch. Is he still at Western KY or did he graduate by now?

Link got hurt twice while playing at Western. The last one ended his football career. I have heard he was a graduate assistant somewhere but I could be wrong.