mba vs ravenwood

whoisjeff

After the referee (yes, the white haired man wearing the white hat) gave the ball back to Ravenwood after Corcoran intercepted it because he judged that MBA had roughed the QB (unbelievably bad call for the pass had been tipped) smugly said to one of the MBA defenders, "It looks like the mighty have fallen!"

Another call they missed was the fumble of the Ravenwood QB. The referee (white hat) made the call on a play where he couldn't see the ball. The very first cardinal rule in officiating is don't blow the whistle or make a call unless you can see the ball. I was on the MBA sideline and could see the ball coming out. There was no way the white haired ref could have made the call he did because he was out of position and his line of sight was blocked by the body of the Ravenwood QB. Yet he gave the ball back to Ravenwood. Afterward, two Ravenwood parents said, "We got some bad calls against us, but you guys got jobbed tonight [by the refs]; it was embarrassing. Especially on the interception and the fumble! I sarcastically replied, "You think?" Then they asked, "Where did you dig those guys up?" I said, "We don't get them; the TSSAA assigns them!"

Several times late in the 4th qtr. the referee would signal the ECO to start the clock and he wouldn't start (this went against both teams). Then, there were several times when the whistle would blow to signal the play was dead and the ECO would not stop the clock.

There was a no call on a Ravenwood defender was on top of and throwing punches at MBA's #53. I've seen players ejected for doing that, twice. Once in a high school game and once in a college game.

On third and long in the 4th qtr. MBA's #8 had his man beaten on a fly pattern and as the ball came down the defender reached out and grabbed a hand full of jersey thus keeping #8 from catching the pass...no call! MBA fans went nuts on that one. Had he caught he only had about 20 yards to go for a TD and probably would have scored.

This crew was incompetent...it looked like their very first game to ever officiate...their mechanics were poor....they were out of position because the didn't run well...and were biased against MBA...they made a number of no-calls that had they been called against Ravenwood the game wouldn't have been close. Another TSSAA crew that favored the public school over the private school. And when the referee smugly and clearly verbalizes his bias against MBA to an MBA player on the field...if there ever was a crew that deserves a suspension it was this one.

The white hatted referee to whom you refer was the same referee in the 2003 BA game who was reprimanded by the TSSAA for allowing BA to snap the ball before the players were set and accepting a field goal kicked after time had expired to send the game into overtime, which we ultimately lost. He did the same on Ravenwood's last drive in which the back judge had already counted off the five seconds with the QB running on the field. They snapped the ball before the players were set with no penalty.

Tom Corcoran's interception was nullified because of a roughing the passer call that supposedly occured before the ball was tipped and ultimately intercepted. Once the ball is tipped there can be no roughing call, and there isn't enough time to rough the passer on a tipped ball. The films show the ball clearly tipped almost immediately after the release. That drive was allowed to continue for Ravenwood's third touchdown.

One of our linebackers was drilled very late out of bounds on that drive after jumping over a pile so as not to incur a penalty. One of the officials was right there with the no call.

On the same drive, on third down and long, the QB scambled and threw a ball to the ground that skipped into the receiver's hands for a first down. They scored two plays later.

Coach McGugin asked the official on MBA's last possesion for a timeout to be called when the play clock was down to one second. (This mistake occurred as the game clock showed twenty-nine seconds left in the game.) After the officials mistakenly allowed the time to expire, then put up six seconds on the clock instead of the four differential, they denied the timeout called by Coach McGugin and lied to the crew that he had asked for it. Then to make matters worse, gave MBA a delay of game penalty for their own ineptness. (The back judge never demonstrated his five second count.)

Coupled with the comment from the referee of how the mighty have fallen to a seventeen year old young man who has played his heart out, these calls or no calls seem to indicate a considerable bias against either MBA or perhaps DII schools in general.

Granted, the Ravenwood team played with great heart. (One player said they were the scrappiiest team we've played this year.) I do not mean to take anything away from these young men. They played well and could have won this game. However, this inept and possibly biased officiating should not be tolerated by the TSSAA. I'm sure that MBA will send the films to them for their review. Let's hope there will be consequences.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The white hatted referee to whom you refer was the same referee in the 2003 BA game who was reprimanded by the TSSAA for allowing BA to snap the ball before the players were set and accepting a field goal kicked after time had expired to send the game into overtime, which we ultimately lost.

You are exactly correct.

The same official also incorrectly penalized MBA 15 yards for a 5-yard penalty that set up Dobyns-Bennett's winning OT touchdown versus MBA in 2001.

You are exactly correct.

Actually not. The ref in that BA - MBA game was reprimanded for hurrying too fast to put the ball back in play, not for any non-call for illegal motion, nor for any timing issues at the end. I understand that MBA fans are still bitter about that loss, but revisionist history must be pointed out.

I really don't like hijacking threads, and hope that won't happen here. Sounds like agreat Ravenwood-MBA game last night. Congratulations on a hard fought win.

Actually not. The ref in that BA - MBA game was reprimanded for hurrying too fast to put the ball back in play, not for any non-call for illegal motion, nor for any timing issues at the end. I understand that MBA fans are still bitter about that loss, but revisionist history must be pointed out.

I really don't like hijacking threads, and hope that won't happen here. Sounds like agreat Ravenwood-MBA game last night. Congratulations on a hard fought win.

By "exactly correct", I meant it was the same official involved.

Good game last night. The first I've been able to see in person this year. I completely agree with the comments regarding the officiating. It was comical how inept that crew was. The head official was calling games when I was in school in the mid 90's and was doing the same stuff then. If I were MBA's staff, I would demand that that guy never be allowed to officiate again. He is terrible. McGuigan was in his ear, even following the crew off of the field last night to give them a piece of his mind.

I was very impressed by Ravenwood last night. They are indeed a scrappy bunch. Not a lot of size, but well coached and hard-nosed. That tailback was a slippery one. MBA better get ready for more of that come next week at Ensworth. The Ravenwood QB was impressive, as well. MBA should have had three or four sacks and he was able to slip free.

MBA has some work to do. They need to start by eliminating the penalties. The drops were also disheartening. This game would have not been as close if not for three big drops. Defensively, the Big Red needs to do a better job of wrapping up. A lot of missed tackles last night. Depth is also a concern. The defense was on the field too long and looked worn out on that last big drive by Ravenwood. Hats off to the guys who were in there playing their tails off, though.

In spite of the officiating and mistakes, MBA did what it took to beat a good football team. I liked the balance I saw from MBA on offense. The coaches made some nice adjustments at halftime that allowed the Big Red to exploit the Ravenwood defense. I can't ever remember a team putting eleven on the line like that, daring us to throw the ball. Like the paper said, the slant was there all night.

The MBA defense played very hard. Not a ton of speed there, but, as usual, well disciplined and in the right spots to make plays. Brad Bars was all over the field. I'm really impressed by that kid. Bubis is also a beast.

Special teams played really well. The punts were long and the pooch kicks did a good job of keeping the ball out of Ravenwood's skilled returners.

All in all, a great atmosphere last night for high school football. Looking forward to another next week at Ensworth.

Roll Red!

I agree about the officials, a complete embarassment. All in all, it was horrible on both sides. It's a shame that after a great, entertaining game, the officials is what most are disscussing. A well officiated game is one in which the officials are not remembered. BTW, does anyone know the condition of MBA player #82 that injured his knee?

First time attending a MBA home game.... great homecoming atmosphere..... had to park several blocks away but enjoyed the stroll through the pretty neighborhood with giant trees and stately older homes. Gorgeous campus .... everyone visiting with homecoming spaghetti super.... hundreds of little kids running around having a blast. Very professional sounding announcer .... great turf.... one small criticism ...the lighting seems too blue as opposed to white or yellow... I'd get different bulbs .

Highlights of the game... saw what I believe was one of the prettiest punts I have seen since watching Ray Guy for the Raiders... the hang time on that sixty nine yard punt that hit inside the hashes, inside the five and then spun and curled out on the 1/2 yard line had to have been in the 8 second range .... I thought there was helium in the ball .... maybe they have Professor Flubber(Disney) teaching at MBA!!!

#23 for MBA is an incredible football player... don't know his name but he can play offense, defense and punt. WOW! In a class of his own. All the backs for MBA looked like good athletes. Too many good athletes to have on the field at one time... #19 for MBA ??? Why isn't he on the field more. Saw him field and runback a short kickoff. Kids got talent . I guess MBA just has alot of that.

Very surprised in the sheer number of mistakes(false start penalties) by both of these well coached teams. Most of the mistakes were by lineman...pretty equal in number by both teams.

TheBigRedDog said it well about Ravenwood SCRAPPY. If MBA had their heart....or If Ravenwood had MBAs talent ...

As to coaching I don't think you get much better than coach rector. He is a risk taker, which means he believes in his kids and his kids are scrappy and he gets the most out of them because they know he believes in them. The Franklin game has been the only let up and I believe that was simply the devastation of losing a team leader to a season ending injury early in the game. Hats off to Ravenwood for putting up a tough fight and fighting to the very end.

As to the officiating ... the PA announcer said it well at the introduction of the game in his "good sportsmanship" speech. The radio guys on 106.7 who were calling the game, in paticular the emotional one of the pair, needed to tone it down a little at the end of the game about how bad it was .... even though it may have been true ... as an announcer you have to keep your emotions in check about those things.

You are exactly correct.

The same official also incorrectly penalized MBA 15 yards for a 5-yard penalty that set up Dobyns-Bennett's winning OT touchdown versus MBA in 2001.

That would be 2000. But I am sure you are not saying that is the reason DB won. There were bad calls both ways, in 2000 and in 2001.

Listen guys, where's the love? I was a referee in the Pac-10 and SEC for 23 years and was involved in a lot of huge calls. It's human error, nobody could do better than those guys. The training is unreal to be a ref in the game of tackle football. I always think back to Ronny Billingsly, the first blind referee to call a major football game. He threw 0 flags and was hit with the ball 6 times. So think about Ronny when you blast the refs.

That would be 2000. But I am sure you are not saying that is the reason DB won. There were bad calls both ways, in 2000 and in 2001.

It was 2001 at MBA (the 2002 game was at Kingsport). The teams did not play each other in 2000.

No, that was not the reason, but it was a critical call. I don't claim to remember all of the details, although I was there, but the critical part was not the yardage (since, starting at the 10 in OT, 15 yard penalties would be half-the-distance walk-offs) so much as it was the awarding of an incorrect, automatic first down on the penalty.

The point is that poor officiating and this guy tend to meet quite often. Yes, we're all human and make mistakes, but when it happens this many times in games involving the same team, it makes you wonder.

Someone please explain to me how this Ravenwood team lost to Goodpasture.

The Ravenwood MO is to schedule quality teams outside our region...we may not win them all but they prepare the team for bigger district games down the road and especially the playoffs where you can run into totally different schemes. No excuses for the Goodpasture game, their running back playee both ways and kicked our tail on both sides of the ball. Our Jr QB started his first varsity game of his life and is getting better each week.