Best High School Football Venue in the State?

DieHardVol

Dobyns-Bennett by far has the nicest stadium and greatest atmosphere in northeast tennessee. Every week there is at least 7-10 thousand people packing the place. its awesome!!!! and the turf is like icing on the cake

Is there really that many??? I have trouble believing that.

The Stone Castle at Tennesse High in Bristol is a great venue.

Cannot agree with D-B. True, they always have a big crowd (who else has a 500 person band), but general admission seating is very limited on the home side and the visitor stands are terrible.

I agree on TN high...BUT you have not seen "terrible" visitor seating until you've been to johnson county. Or Unicoi...wait, they don't even have visitor seating!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dobyns-Bennett by far has the nicest stadium and greatest atmosphere in northeast tennessee. Every week there is at least 7-10 thousand people packing the place. its awesome!!!! and the turf is like icing on the cake

Anyone got a picture of it ? I played there back in the day, dont remember that many people there?

I used to live in the Tri-Cities and loved going to football games up there. Dobyns-Bennett has perhaps the best atmosphere and yes they probably average 6-8 thousand depending on the game. I agree about the visitors stands, but when you look over at the shear size of the homeside it is impressive. I also like the experience at Elizabethton back when Dave Rider coached there and the Witten brothers and Vince Redd were there. It was an electric atmosphere also. I know it's not Tennessee, but Gate City, Virginia is a fun place to watch a game

when i think of great venues i think the toughest place to play.and i think that jhonson county and sullivan south are the hardest places.to play jhonson county every one is there because theres nothing else to do (but every one in jhonson is all of 5 people).the filed is mest up after two or there games on it. and death vally is the loudest place iv ever played.

The best total facility that I have been to is McMinn County. Very large home side, good visitor side (plentiful restrooms and a large concession stand on that side is better than most schools home side), outstanding field and a good sized 8 station press box.

The best press box I have been in is Oak Ridge's. It's spacious and has rest rooms in it also. It's better than some college press boxes.

The Best Atmosphere is J. Fred Johnson at Dobyns-Bennett. The field is outstanding (even in November), the stadium is very clean (for an older facility), but the press box is starting to look it's age.

Honorable Mention - Lookout Valley (setting with Lookout Mountain close by), Red Bank (setting and good facilities, but locker rooms are SO FAR AWAY), Maryville Heritage (the view of the Smokies is outstanding, but one seating side and the hike upstairs to the press box are negatives) Maryville (old school stadium, mean that as a compliment), Marion County (the steam train whistle is the best tradition that I have seen in Tennessee high school football)

As far as unique stadiums, I will say the Stone Castle is tops. For atmosphere and nicest field, I'm going to have to say Dobyns-Bennett. On Friday nights when the stands are packed and the band gets going, it's awesome. I know that some of you will knock it because of the visitors stands, but that's what they are....visitors stands. It's called home field advantage for a reason. On a similar note, I'll put D-B's band up against any in the state. I almost feel sorry for the other schools when they come in and bring their bands.

The best total facility that I have been to is McMinn County. Very large home side, good visitor side (plentiful restrooms and a large concession stand on that side is better than most schools home side), outstanding field and a good sized 8 station press box.

The best press box I have been in is Oak Ridge's. It's spacious and has rest rooms in it also. It's better than some college press boxes.

The Best Atmosphere is J. Fred Johnson at Dobyns-Bennett. The field is outstanding (even in November), the stadium is very clean (for an older facility), but the press box is starting to look it's age.

Honorable Mention - Lookout Valley (setting with Lookout Mountain close by), Red Bank (setting and good facilities, but locker rooms are SO FAR AWAY), Maryville Heritage (the view of the Smokies is outstanding, but one seating side and the hike upstairs to the press box are negatives) Maryville (old school stadium, mean that as a compliment), Marion County (the steam train whistle is the best tradition that I have seen in Tennessee high school football)

Great post /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I will agree South Carolina has some nice stadiums. Like Dorman or RNE and even Lexington is ok. But SC dont fill their stadiums, and ever time i have went to a game there nobody watches the game, all they do is talk and walk around. There is no cheering, its just not the same experience as in TN or SWVA.

Byrnes has been filling their stadium since the 70's.