Best High School Football Venue in the State?

DieHardVol

Well it may not be the absolute best, but Farragut's brand new million dollar plus stadium just completed this summer has to be pretty high up on the list. It also has an authentic anchor from a US Navy decommissioned USS Farragut warship. See the following picture.

It seats around 6,000 or 7,000 and has plenty of standing room available. It just accommodated around 10,000+ fans for the Bearden game. Admittedly, the playing surface itself at Bill Clabo Field needs some work, but that is due in large part to the vandalism of some knucklehead Bearden students who vandalized it with weed killer.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if were gonna talk about past attendance records, I need to throw out the 2 20,000+ games Oakland and Riverdale had in 1998

Yeah I have heard of those numbers. But since those schools have gotten their own stadium, numbers have been no more then 8,000. The point I am trying to make about DB is on the season, their numbers are far above other schools.

By the way in 2006, me and two buds from New Orleans went to DB vs South on Thursday and Maryville vs Alcoa on Friday. Earlier a claim was made that there were 15,000 at the Maryville game, I had posted 12,000 to 14,000 at the DB game. If there was 15,000 at Maryville vs Alcoa in 2006, then there was 20,000 at DB vs South in 2006. We were there, one was Thursday, one was Friday. We all agreed the Thursday night DB game had many more in attendance as a much larger stadium and standing room only was filled.

Yeah I have heard of those numbers. But since those schools have gotten their own stadium, numbers have been no more then 8,000. The point I am trying to make about DB is on the season, their numbers are far above other schools.

By the way in 2006, me and two buds from New Orleans went to DB vs South on Thursday and Maryville vs Alcoa on Friday. Earlier a claim was made that there were 15,000 at the Maryville game, I had posted 12,000 to 14,000 at the DB game. If there was 15,000 at Maryville vs Alcoa in 2006, then there was 20,000 at DB vs South in 2006. We were there, one was Thursday, one was Friday. We all agreed the Thursday night DB game had many more in attendance as a much larger stadium and standing room only was filled.

Yes, but consider the fact that our city has to accomodate all these 5A schools, correct me if im wrong, but isnt DB the only major high school in Kingsport? Anything more than 8,000 in those stadiums probably borders on a little on the unsafe side, as it was with this past Oakland-Riverdale game, which was around 9-10,000

Splitback, I'll try to find a pic of Nunley Stadium to put on here. It's a great looking stadium, especially with the recent renovations to it.

i know it cant be considered for the best in the state but after going to the clinton game last night i have to say that the new stadium is the best one in this area that ive seen, the new home side is great and all the scenery and the new concessions are awesome. plus we finally ditched those old white midget goalposts and got some nice new ones. not the best in the state by any means but def worth visiting

I know I am slightly biased, but I have to cast a vote for Franklin High's Howard Gamble Stadium. Most Stadiums do not allow you to stand on the tracks surrounding the field, but at Franklin you can stand on the grass all the way around the 15-endzones. I do not have a picture on me, but I will paint you a picture. Franklin is playing Ravenwood. It is late in the game, and the Raptors are deep in Rebel territory, and every fan in the entire stadium has swallowed the endzones (on both ends) screaming and jumping.

Home of the Franklin Rebels...Howard Gamble Stadium

That was a monster attendance.There was probably a thousand kids running around on the baseball field that connects inside the stadium with the football field.

Yes, but consider the fact that our city has to accomodate all these 5A schools, correct me if im wrong, but isnt DB the only major high school in Kingsport? Anything more than 8,000 in those stadiums probably borders on a little on the unsafe side, as it was with this past Oakland-Riverdale game, which was around 9-10,000

I am a bit confused as to what you are asking. Safe? DB has had well over 12,000 many times with no incident. In fact, DB is increasing the seating capacity by putting a horseshoe to round out the stadium. This is the talk, though not official yet. Renovations are coming soon though. Safe as to Mboro schools? I would not know. I guess if too many folks are standing maybe so.

As to your question about DB and other schools, our system is set up different then Rutherford. We have 2 city and 1 county system in Sullivan County (which has about 155,000 residents). Kingsport has a few private area schools and Sullivan South, Sullivan North, and Sullivan Central taking on many Kingsport area kids.

I am a bit confused as to what you are asking. Safe? DB has had well over 12,000 many times with no incident. In fact, DB is increasing the seating capacity by putting a horseshoe to round out the stadium. This is the talk, though not official yet. Renovations are coming soon though. Safe as to Mboro schools? I would not know. I guess if too many folks are standing maybe so.

As to your question about DB and other schools, our system is set up different then Rutherford. We have 2 city and 1 county system in Sullivan County (which has about 155,000 residents). Kingsport has a few private area schools and Sullivan South, Sullivan North, and Sullivan Central taking on many Kingsport area kids.

Bud are they talking about adding permanent seating (concrete) stands on the score board end of J. Fred? If so that would be really nice. A lot of people outside the Kingsport area do not realize that D-B, South and North are all probably within a 6 miles of each other.