WHY THE HATE?

AttenCHUN

I actually have two relatives that are graduates of Smith Co. over the last few years. While they are smart kids, rocket scientists they are not. I also know several teachers at Smith Co. I am impressed with their dedication and devotion to the kids. I do agree that in comparison to other public systems, it does seem to be solid. But it still pails in comparison to some of the private schools my wife and I toured. Two different schools had ACT scores that averaged right on top of 30. Averaged 30.

Let those privates educate EVERYBODY and see those AVERAGES plummet. Test scores come down to the students intelligence and work ethic and if they dont have those chances are they are not going to private school. Averages dont mean anything. I could play video games with an intelligent kid for two days and they would still score higher on a test than a special needs kid if they worked with a team of the best private school educators in the nation for a month!

I actually have two relatives that are graduates of Smith Co. over the last few years. While they are smart kids, rocket scientists they are not. I also know several teachers at Smith Co. I am impressed with their dedication and devotion to the kids. I do agree that in comparison to other public systems, it does seem to be solid. But it still pails in comparison to some of the private schools my wife and I toured. Two different schools had ACT scores that averaged right on top of 30. Averaged 30.

Let those privates educate EVERYBODY and see those AVERAGES plummet. Test scores come down to the students intelligence and work ethic and if they dont have those chances are they are not going to private school. Averages dont mean anything. I could play video games with an intelligent kid for two days and they would still score higher on a test than a special needs kid if they worked with a team of the best private school educators in the nation for a month!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, you'd be surprised with the types of kids and programs we witnessed while touring the schools. It is a VERY big deal for my wife and I as our oldest is on the autism spectrum. He is very high functioning and very well could "fall off" the spectrum at some point in his life (hard work and God willing). None of the schools eliminated us from consideration of acceptance to their school because of his needs. Several actually have therapists (for various issues) that visit the campus regularly (i.e. multiple times a week) to perform therapy.

In terms of smaller privates we visited, their student bodies had make ups almost identical to public schools. The only difference is that virtually all of their parents seem to be involved highly. The prep schools were different. More money, more prestige, more competition. With them, you do get what you pay for. Your child will be "prepped" for college, that is for sure.

And I take exception to your comment about special needs children. I will have you know that my special needs child passed his grade level graduation exam last year as the only student who scored a perfect score in his class. He also is reading at 2-2.5 AR levels higher than his class level. Just because kids have special needs doesn't mean they are not intelligent. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Yeah...I know that. Just because your relatives are not rocket scientists does not mean we don't have any. One is working for a private company directly with NASA designing launch vehicles. One graduated from Rhodes at the top of their class. One graduated from Vanderbilt Med School at the top of their class. One graduated from UT Dental School at the top of their class. There have been many others. The point is you can get a good education at a public school if you want to. You can also get the same at a private school. Don't say all public schools are bad...because they are not. Isn't the bottom line what's important?

We have many graduates at the top of their field. I doubt anybody asks them where they went to grammar and high school.

Actually, you'd be surprised with the types of kids and programs we witnessed while touring the schools. It is a VERY big deal for my wife and I as our oldest is on the autism spectrum. He is very high functioning and very well could "fall off" the spectrum at some point in his life (hard work and God willing). None of the schools eliminated us from consideration of acceptance to their school because of his needs. Several actually have therapists (for various issues) that visit the campus regularly (i.e. multiple times a week) to perform therapy.

In terms of smaller privates we visited, their student bodies had make ups almost identical to public schools. The only difference is that virtually all of their parents seem to be involved highly. The prep schools were different. More money, more prestige, more competition. With them, you do get what you pay for. Your child will be "prepped" for college, that is for sure.

And I take exception to your comment about special needs children. I will have you know that my special needs child passed his grade level graduation exam last year as the only student who scored a perfect score in his class. He also is reading at 2-2.5 AR levels higher than his class level. Just because kids have special needs doesn't mean they are not intelligent. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Don't give me that angry smiley. You know exactly what I was trying to say. Did you want me to say smart and stupid?

Yeah...I know that. Just because your relatives are not rocket scientists does not mean we don't have any. One is working for a private company directly with NASA designing launch vehicles. One graduated from Rhodes at the top of their class. One graduated from Vanderbilt Med School at the top of their class. One graduated from UT Dental School at the top of their class. There have been many others. The point is you can get a good education at a public school if you want to. You can also get the same at a private school. Don't say all public schools are bad...because they are not. Isn't the bottom line what's important?

We have many graduates at the top of their field. I doubt anybody asks them where they went to grammar and high school.

Antwan, nobody is saying that there are not some students in your county and other counties that do very well with a public education. But the great majority of public school students and lets include the whole state are woefully behind even a standard performance. What I find very strange is how a discussion of football somehow trancends into a discussion of whether private or public offer a superior education. You or someone stated that the privates students do better because the private schools only pick superior students. I have to disagree, they offer a better education period. In Davidson County a full 30% percent never graduate from high school. This is only the stat that they admit to. If you count the ones that have left school freshman and sophmore years, the percentage would be even higher. If I listed all the students from Father Ryan as an example that are in positions of leadership across this country, it would takes days to do so, it is that many. Doctors, judges, lawyers, everything. Not bragging, but there is a difference. One last point, the bottom line is what is not acceptable in the state of Tennessee in public education. It is below standard in the United States of America, Tennessee is ranked in the high forties of fifty states. This is unacceptable and the future consequences will show itself in due time in a very ugly way. Lastly, not all public schools are below standard, some are among the best schools in the state academically speaking. There are just not enough that people should be lulled to sleep thinking that everything will turn out allright, it won't. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

If saying someone has enough money to do whatever they want is derogatory I wish people had a reason to be derogatory towards me! Middle class in east TN. is wealthy in my book and if you struggle to send them to private I still don't see the point , if you don't like the system MOVE! there are so many small communities in the surrounding knoxville area with fine public education if your middle class you can afford a move. Privates have higher AVERAGES in test scores because they dont have to test lower level and special needs students. I have seen several public school students score very high on test scores at one point I believe Sevier County PUBLIC schools scored in the top 10% in the nation.

You must not have read all my post. I stated that I send my kids to private schools, specifically Catholic schools because thats what my conscience directs me to do. I want them to be a total person in their faith, education, be a total person. I do not want to move. I don't mind struggling to pay for their education. I am a parent and parents make sacrifices for their children, so nothing special there. Just because I have to struggle doesn't mean I don't like what you refer to as a system. Our school is not a system, it is a caring, nurturing enviroment where my children can learn their place in this world. My decision has nothing to do with sports, it has to do with the education of my children in what I believe to be the best enviroment that I could possibly find. By stating the above, in no way is this an attempt to demean public education. My point on that topic is that people need to get over this denial that everything is rosy and demand that all public school students receive the best education possible in a safe and nurturing enviroment, and do whatever it takes to make it happen. You state that you have seen several students test high in public schools. Sir, I have seen hundreds of private school students test extremely high, this is not unusual at all in private schools. There is a difference.

I have many friends, relatives in public schools and I want the best for them. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Antwan, nobody is saying that there are not some students in your county and other counties that do very well with a public education. But the great majority of public school students and lets include the whole state are woefully behind even a standard performance. What I find very strange is how a discussion of football somehow trancends into a discussion of whether private or public offer a superior education. You or someone stated that the privates students do better because the private schools only pick superior students. I have to disagree, they offer a better education period. In Davidson County a full 30% percent never graduate from high school. This is only the stat that they admit to. If you count the ones that have left school freshman and sophmore years, the percentage would be even higher. If I listed all the students from Father Ryan as an example that are in positions of leadership across this country, it would takes days to do so, it is that many. Doctors, judges, lawyers, everything. Not bragging, but there is a difference. One last point, the bottom line is what is not acceptable in the state of Tennessee in public education. It is below standard in the United States of America, Tennessee is ranked in the high forties of fifty states. This is unacceptable and the future consequences will show itself in due time in a very ugly way. Lastly, not all public schools are below standard, some are among the best schools in the state academically speaking. There are just not enough that people should be lulled to sleep thinking that everything will turn out allright, it won't. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I didn't say private schools pick superior students. I said the kids at private schools are virtually all college prep. Who in their right mind would pay that much to send their kids to private school if they didn't intend on going to college? That...in itself...makes private schools have more students that would do well on standardized tests...over all. Tests include all students...not just high achievers. Private schools are not required to publish test results. Hence there will be more (percentage wise) to do well. I also said my school is very good for a small public school. I could also name a lot of graduates in leadership across this country too.

I am not saying public schools as a whole...or any other way...are better than private schools. I am saying you can get a good education at my school if you want to. I don't know about other schools.

Don't give me that angry smiley. You know exactly what I was trying to say. Did you want me to say smart and stupid?

I'll give whatever emoticon I feel like. You know exactly what you meant. For some sick reason, you felt like you needed to lump kids with special needs into a big lump and label all of them stupid - which is so unbelievably far from the truth, stupid and biggotted that I can't believe you try to give yourself a pass. You should be ashamed. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

I can lump all public schools together because the system as a whole - both federally and statewide - are failing. Our state ranks among the bottom 10 states in education in virtually every measure and poll that exists. "Bottom line" is that we make educating our children important - and right now, actions from our current system shows that it isn't.

It does make me very happy that there are several graduates from Smith Co that have excelled. I know several who have from all over including where I live in MJ. And you are correct, no one will ask them where they went to grammar school because they have achieved. There will just be less achievement than could have been. I did read an article from a big law firm recrutier and it does matter to them big time not only where you attended law school and ugrad, but also where you prepped in early education. Oddly enough, it actually mattered what sports and extracurriculars you were involved in. You'd be surprised to know that lacrosse and drama virtually moved you up the chart - because it meant you attended an elite prep versus a lesser (because they can't know every single prep school that exists and their stature).

I will say that one small local private handed me their alumni book to browse previous graduates and their current occupations. Out of curiosity, I checked the year that I graduated. The graduating class had 28 people in it. There occupations are burned into my head now. Out of the 28, there were 3 MDs, 3 PhDs(cognitive psychology, cell/molecular bio, marketing), 4 CPAs, 2 attorneys and several business owners. Just taking the professional degrees, 43% have progressed beyond to get professional degrees/licenses. Others may have had MBAs or other masters, it just wasn't listed. I'll take my odds with that type of "prep" and attention any day. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Note: My kids are still in public school, because the school they current attend is very, very strong (listed as one of the top 99% of elementary schools in the state). The middle school we are zoned for - not so much. That's why we will be moving on once they hit that level.

I'll give whatever emoticon I feel like. You know exactly what you meant. For some sick reason, you felt like you needed to lump kids with special needs into a big lump and label all of them stupid - which is so unbelievably far from the truth, stupid and biggotted that I can't believe you try to give yourself a pass. You should be ashamed. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Don't put words in mouth and try to guess at what you think I'm insinuating in my post. You should be ashamed for running from the real world and hiding your kids in a private school so they grow up believing they can buy their way into a better environment. I know what special needs means , and I know they are not stupid I NEVER SAID THAT OR MEANT ANYTHING LIKE IT and frankly that makes me understand how much more I dislike you and your opinions. By sending your kids to private school you say that your kids are to good for public and that all teachers . principals , students , and parents at public schools are stupid , iresponsinble , mean , and ugly. I KNOW THATS WHAT YOU MEAN DONT DENY IT you make stupid and biggoted comments like that in every post you make. YOU SHOULD BE SOOOOOOOO ASHAMED.

If you cant tell that REALLY ticked me off!

Don't put words in mouth and try to guess at what you think I'm insinuating in my post. You should be ashamed for running from the real world and hiding your kids in a private school so they grow up believing they can buy their way into a better environment. I know what special needs means , and I know they are not stupid I NEVER SAID THAT OR MEANT ANYTHING LIKE IT and frankly that makes me understand how much more I dislike you and your opinions. By sending your kids to private school you say that your kids are to good for public and that all teachers . principals , students , and parents at public schools are stupid , iresponsinble , mean , and ugly. I KNOW THATS WHAT YOU MEAN DONT DENY IT you make stupid and biggoted comments like that in every post you make. YOU SHOULD BE SOOOOOOOO ASHAMED.

If you cant tell that REALLY ticked me off!

That is totally what you meant. You know it. Own up to it. You are biased and biggotted. Otherwise, you would have used smart and stupid. You picked handicapped/special needs kids out to prove a ridiculous point - which you weren't even able to do either. With people like you supporting public schools, I think everyone can see why folks are moving in droves to homeschool and private school their kids.

And my kids won't be hiding in a private school. They will be leading. They will be competing. And they will have the opportunity to excel as much as they can without being held back by a bad system run by local yokels like you.

And in fact, I think it takes a special person to be a teacher and administrator at any school. We are currently in an unbelievably great situation in terms of the public admins and teachers my kids have. I wouldn't trade them for anything right now. BUT, we have also been in the worst of the worst situations previously too due to improperly trained teachers in regards to federal laws around IEP plans for special needs kids. We had a teacher that was without a doubt the most ignorant and embarrassingly stupid teacher that I have ever seen grace a school campus. Beyond being ignorant, she was abusive and unapologetic - because she felt that she didn't have to be since she is a public school teacher providing public services. She is the reason why we have a great situation now. She broke federal law and that is the only reason why we now attend a public school, out of zone, with an aide, with every opportunity that can possibly given to us. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />