McKenzie vs. Gleason this week!

duckman38201

People keep talking about the traditional small schools Gleason,Greenfield,etc..Lake Co isn't much bigger and only has 17 players dressed out this year..But Lake Co won a State championship with only about 22 players with Jewel Flowers and company..A few years ago Lake Co was talking about giving up football which would have been awlful and probably hard to start again had they done so..But about 10 years or so ago Lake Co and Bruceton ,along with U.S.J. pretty well dominated Single A in this area..And during those times Lake Co dominated a lot of the teams that were Double A at the time but are now 3A and 4A schools..Dyer co is one..Lake Co probably still has a all time record of about 28 -12 against Dyer Co..Just a guess..but I'm sure it's close..Obion Central..I remember beating them 67-14 a couple times..Crockett Co is another..Lake Co had their way with them..But all these teams are bigger and better now..Lake Co has played all or most of the so called powers at one time or another..Alcoa..played them about 3 times in the State championship...South Pittsburg..a Single A power two or three times in the State Champioship..GoodPasture in the playoffs..So..Small teams can compete..Not saying we're going to beat Alcoa now..Or Maryville..But every so often a Jewel Flowers ,Kenny Flag ,Joe Longmire comes along and that little school isn't so bad anymore..or too small to play Union City or McKenzie..I'd rather play McKenzie and Union City and lose..hopefully a close game than to play the Gleason and Greenfield teams of old and win 56-0..Those times have changed also but I'm glad South Fulton,Greenfield and Gleason has gotten things going in the right direction..Same in basketball..Union City has maybe cost Lake Co at least a chance of playing for a State title the past 3 or 4 seasons but I love the competition that these two schools bring to the court..Plus..huge crowd and money game..

I don't like replying on this message board. I get on here just to get a good laugh sometimes. But, to correct you. Lake Co did not win a state championship with Jewel and company. They were runners up and I believe it was South Pitt that beat them. I was at the game because I played against that Lake Co team and they had talent on top of talent. Not that it matters, but I could care less about who we play or how many people are enrolled in their school. As long as we are playing football, I'm happy. Good luck to all teams tonight.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like replying on this message board. I get on here just to get a good laugh sometimes. But, to correct you. Lake Co did not win a state championship with Jewel and company. They were runners up and I believe it was South Pitt that beat them. I was at the game because I played against that Lake Co team and they had talent on top of talent. Not that it matters, but I could care less about who we play or how many people are enrolled in their school. As long as we are playing football, I'm happy. Good luck to all teams tonight.

Sorry about that..You're right..It was a slip..I said in one of my earlier post that Lake Co was stopped inside the 10 yard line in that South Pittsburg game..As a matter of fact ,I posted about it on the Lake Co-Gleason post on the 19th and I was replying to spellrone on the South Pittsburg game..That Lake Co was going to go for two points had they scored..Just a slip..The Lake Co full back,Kenyon Johnson, also got hurt at the beginning of the game..I meant to have said went to the State..I was a the game also and probably haven't missed 3 Lake Co games in 30 years..Probably know more about Lake Co football than anyone..at least thats still living..If not..it won't be more than a couple..But you're right..Lake Co won in 1980 and 1985..Also..Glad to see Gleason and the other teams playing well..

The bigger the school, the more discipline problems you have. I have been to small schools, and I've been to very big schools. The bigger they are, the more discipline problems you have. Plus, small schools can give more attention to each, individual student; and more kids can participate in school activities.

Not only that, but when a town loses it's school, it usually starts a downward spiral. Businesses start closing, and people move out. I've seen many a town lose their school to consolidation, and the smaller towns that lost their school start going down from that point on.

Thus, it's very beneficial for towns like Gleason and McKenzie to keep their schools so that we can have big games like tonite. Everybody is hoping that the David can kill Goliath. All of us out here outside of McKenzie are hoping to see Gleason...the underdog....pull off the upset. If the game was Weakley Co. High School vs. Carroll County High School...then it would either be in Huntingdon or Martin.....and the people in McKenzie and Gleason and Greenfield and Dresden and Bruceton would not be as interested in the game.

Of course they have more discipline probelms because there are more kids. You can't say per student there are more problems though. Every school has those problems in this day and age. When they consolidated the middle schools in Henry Co. everyone made the same arguments. Years later though people have realized these new facilities like Lakewood and Harrelson have made for greater academic and athletic opportunities. I see both sides but Henry Co. has volleyball,track & field, soccer etc. The football and basketball programs have three teams each with a 9th grade, JV, and Varsity.

No crying....just keeping it real whenever people from very large schools in large towns start thumping their chests and crowing about beating small schools. I have no problem playing yall. I dont think that Greenfield nor Gleason has any problem playing yall. They line up and play whoever's in front of them. I'm just commenting on fans from big schools who crow loud and long about beating schools less than twice thier size.

That's fair enough. Do me one favor though. Go back and find a post where I have crowed or thumped my chest over this game. You can't do it. I've pointed out that I have family in Gleason as well as here and actually, don't enjoy this week much at all now.

I definitely love McKenzie Rebel football and honestly believe that we will win tonight. But, I expect to see the 'Dawgs throw everything they have at us too.

If there is one thing I'm not it is one to disrespect an opponent. Good luck to ya'll tonight.

GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REBEL PRIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to ya'll coach.

Sorry about that..You're right..It was a slip..I said in one of my earlier post that Lake Co was stopped inside the 10 yard line in that South Pittsburg game..As a matter of fact ,I posted about it on the Lake Co-Gleason post on the 19th and I was replying to spellrone on the South Pittsburg game..That Lake Co was going to go for two points had they scored..Just a slip..The Lake Co full back,Kenyon Johnson, also got hurt at the beginning of the game..I meant to have said went to the State..I was a the game also and probably haven't missed 3 Lake Co games in 30 years..Probably know more about Lake Co football than anyone..at least thats still living..If not..it won't be more than a couple..But you're right..Lake Co won in 1980 and 1985..Also..Glad to see Gleason and the other teams playing well..

I remember the state game with SP vs. Lake Co in 86 I believe. My brother... aka PirateTom... played on that SP team. I remember staying in the same hotel as the Lake County football team.

GO REBELS!!

Final,

McKenzie---38

Gleason----14

The game was generally closer than the score indicates. With 6 minutes to go it was a 10 point game (24-14). There was just a sort of jailbreak in the last 3-4 minutes or so by the Rebs. Both teams played hard, physical football.

The difference in the game IMO was the Rebels conditioning and offensive speed.

The 'Dawgs put up a good fight tonight.

It seems like South Pitt has a bad habit of sending home teams around here with a whippin'!!! Has anyone from these parts ever actually beaten them????

The region teams that haven't played Gleason better get ready......Gleason Bulldogs are the real deal. They control the ball well and Verdell is extremely hard to bring down. Gleason is always a good place to visit as their fans are very courteous and supportive of their team. Good luck Bulldogs for the rest of your season. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Go REBELS!!!!