Eliminate Pee Wee Football

DelTavian

I know there are many reasons for the lower numbers in football these days, but I think one thing that would improve football on the high school level is the elimination of pee wee football.

In our area we have 8 and under, 9-10 year old and 11-12 year old. I see no benefit in kids playing football before 5th or 6th grade. I believe the two lower age teams should be done away with.

Football is also too rough a sport for small kids. I've seen many get serious injuries.

It may be true that Eric Westmoreland played pee wee football, but one pro out of thousands in the area doesn't mean we need pee wee football.

What do the rest of you think???

Del (who won't let his little one play until he's at least 11-12.)

I think your son will be 3-4 years behind everyone who played Pee-Wee Ball. It is a tough sport, but you are playing against kids your size and the ones that weigh more can't advance the ball, only recover a fumble. Much the same as two teams have to play on a wet, muddy field, kids play on teams and against teams that are pretty much their size. Good luck to your son, whatever you decide. Mine is 16 and been playing since he was seven, and loving every minute of it.

Posted by DelTavian:

I know there are many reasons for the lower numbers in football these days, but I think one thing that would improve football on the high school level is the elimination of pee wee football.

In our area we have 8 and under, 9-10 year old and 11-12 year old. I see no benefit in kids playing football before 5th or 6th grade. I believe the two lower age teams should be done away with.

Football is also too rough a sport for small kids. I've seen many get serious injuries.

It may be true that Eric Westmoreland played pee wee football, but one pro out of thousands in the area doesn't mean we need pee wee football.

What do the rest of you think???

Del (who won't let his little one play until he's at least 11-12.)

I agree I think cutting out the so called Wee Pee (where the ball is as big as the kid) And Pee Wee is a good idea. But the Junior & Senior Division that is kind of borderline Middle School aged players is fine. How ever I know a lot of kids who have been outstanding middle school players when they get to High School they only want to play one sport or they don't want to play at all. I remember when I first started going to HS games you had a half-dozen or more who played Football, Basketball & Baseball.

[Edited by Sequatchie on 8-7-02 9:45P]

[Edited by Sequatchie on 8-7-02 11:02P]

I agree and disagree! I agree that they should take out pee-wee football!(AGES 5-8) But 9 is a great year to start! The great Murfreesboro Mustang league in the 'Boro has really benefited all the high schools. These kids already know the basics! I bet you could ask Ray Barnes, EX-CMS football coach, and he'd tell you how much his teams were effected by this youth league! I noticed when my son went to the middle school that most of the kids that didn't play until they got to this level faded out because the others were so far ahead, and it was too late to catch up!

You guys are talking about eliminating something sacred! Youth Football has been around for fifty years in the larger areas and you are talking about the heart and soul of the game! The NFL donates millions of dollars a year to keep these programs alive! Soccer (the hated sport by all true American football fans) is growing by huge numbers every year. If the NFL feels the need to keep youth football alive, I think we should too! :(

Posted by ELA:

You guys are talking about eliminating something sacred! Youth Football has been around for fifty years in the larger areas and you are talking about the heart and soul of the game! The NFL donates millions of dollars a year to keep these programs alive! Soccer (the hated sport by all true American football fans) is growing by huge numbers every year. If the NFL feels the need to keep youth football alive, I think we should too! :)

I see what you are saying ELA, but I don't think Grundy or Sequatchie County has seen any of the money from the NFL to keep it alive. Parents and volunteer coaches have to pay for the equipment or try to get some donated from local sporting good stores! I also know about the soccer this past year someone(A Yankee ;) ) who moved into the area has started a league I don't know how if any that it has affected Little League Football and I think there are rumors that the High School will start a team this year or in a year or so. :( I don't think to many 2AA teams in the Chattanooga area have Soccer the only ones i can think of is the bigger schools Red Bank, Soddy Daisy or the private schools McCallie, Notre Dame etc...

[Edited by Sequatchie on 8-7-02 10:49P]

[Edited by Sequatchie on 8-7-02 10:50P]

I have to disagree with stopping little league football! Especially if you are referring to there being a lot of injuries. I have coached in youth league for 8 years. The worst I can remember here was about 4 years ago when our qb 9yrs old broke his arm at practice, thing was he got it stepped on, it could've just as easily happened on the soccer field. In those years I saw more injuries on the baseball field. Maybe we are an exception, I would like to see some statistics on injuries from the ages of 6 and 9 in football. we have four teams 6-7, 8-9, 10-11, 12-13. If anything I think starting them at a younger age helps them to learn the right technics of tackleing and football in general, before they do get to the age where football starts getting more physical usually around the age of 10 thou there are always exceptions. I would much rather my child learn the proper technics at a young age, than in junior high, or high school, now that would increase the danger! As for our league we do great, we have 10 teams mostly small to medium sized towns. We have the optimist club in sweetwater and we have great volunteers, great family's, and great community suport. My oldest son is a soph this year in high school and played optimist club football for 8 years, it definitly helped him!! My 10 year old is a cheerleader, and my 8 year old is starting his 3rd year, I couldn't imagine being without it, it definitly helps more than it hurts, not only in football but in life. Football teaches you so many things that you can use later in life! :(

I really dont think it matters what age you start playing football. If a kid loves football he will play football for as long as he loves it. When that love for the game starts to wear off, then thats when you start questioning yourself wether or not you wanna play anymore, it all depends on just how much you like the game.I've been playing since I was in 6th grade, which is a good age to start, but I'm now entering my junior year in high school, and Im not to burnt out on it. I still like the game alot and wouldnt trade anything for friday nights in the fall.

I have coached football at almost every level of the sport (8-9, 9-10, 11-12, Middle School, Freshmen, JV, High School) and I can tell you that kids don't get tired of the sport because they play it too much! Most kids quit football when they get a car and a job! If they aren't starting by that time in their lives, they often drop out. Coaches have a tough job keeping boys in football programs today for a variety of reasons! :(

Posted by cobrafan90:

age 9 and up is ok. but 5-8 as someone mentioned. the kids don't even know their jersey numbers. they just ,horseplay, wrestle and bump into each other. not much development at the pee wee age group. K- 2 grade. you're lucky if one pass is completed at that age group(for the season).

Go watch the Una Bears play in their 7-8 year old league (Mid-State Youth Football). You will see a team that can block, run a lead, sweep, and pass the ball to the TE or TB. The Williamson County Teams (Franklin, Grassland, Brentwood) all have teams that play in that age bracket who know their hole numbers, multiple formations (two or three), and can line up correct on defense! It is all about coaching and high expectations! :x

As much reasoning as I see in some of these posts, I can't go with the elimination of pee wee football.

I could go with, however, elmination of parents being involved in head coaching. I have seen some doozy situations involving parents who need some serious anger management. But, I also know, finding enough volunteers to field coaches would be a problem as well.

Bottom line, these kids should NEVER be pressured into playing pee wee football. I have seen many "I used to be an average player who thought I was better than I really was" fathers who have pushed their sons into playing, only to see them turn out to be band members later. (And no, not saying there is a thing wrong with that, I love a good high school band.)