big 9 basketball

unc1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using 7 or 8 players in a game is about right. Its nice to have a deep bench where you could use 9 or 10 players in a game. But when you use that many the players are in and out to many times and they can't ever get into the flow of the game. Also you will have players that get hot, then when you sit them they lose that mojo. Thats why you usually see the tourney teams only using 7 or 8 players. Two much at stake.

I asked Terry Tippett of White Station how he beat Science Hill so bad in the quaterfinals of the 02 state tourney. He said Science Hill was a mirror image of his team. The difference was they went 2x5 and he went 3x5. He told me they wore them down in a frantic, fast paced , full court pressure game. I understand most only play 7 or 8. If thats all you got thats all you got. For Science Hill to play 17 players in a 2OT game against a team with 2 division 1 commitments, must mean they feel they got a lot!

I asked Terry Tippett of White Station how he beat Science Hill so bad in the quaterfinals of the 02 state tourney. He said Science Hill was a mirror image of his team. The difference was they went 2x5 and he went 3x5. He told me they wore them down in a frantic, fast paced , full court pressure game. I understand most only play 7 or 8. If thats all you got thats all you got. For Science Hill to play 17 players in a 2OT game against a team with 2 division 1 commitments, must mean they feel they got a lot!

If I'm not mistaken it was the 2002 championship game that they beat SH. While they beat them without question I dont think it was an absolute beating. As far as the 2x5 vs 3x5 you got it. They ran in team after team. I can remember watching them thinking it was like a line change in hockey.

Here is the points break down for Science Hill in their game against Walton, GA in the Roundball Showcase. Also included is the Science Hill varsity roster for this 2008-2009 season, per tricitiessports.com.

Science Hill (84)

Seniors

J. Odem 30

J. Hamilton 2

C. Smith 17

I. Kinley 6

D. Hancock 11

R.J. Jackson 0

Z. Joran 2

J. Daniel 4

L. Smith 14

Juniors

G. Duncon 0

Sophomores

J. Songster 0

W. Carter 0

D. Norris 0

R. Mitchell 0

P. Vaught 0

Freshman

J. Allen 0

Z. Howard 0

2008-2009 Science Hill Hilltoppers

Seniors

#10 -- Jose Odem, 6??™5??™??™ (Sr.) W

#21 -- Jamieson Hamilton, 5??™10??™??™ (Sr.) PG

#22 -- Chris Smith, 6??™2??™??™ (Sr.) W

#24 -- Isaac Kinley, 5??™10??™??™ (Sr.) W

#32 -- Detric Hancock, 6??™0??™??™ (Sr.) W

#33 -- R.J. Jackson, 5??™10??™??™ (Sr.) PG

#50 -- Zach Joran, 6??™5??™??™ (Sr.) P

#52 -- John Daniel, 6??™5??™??™ (Sr.) P

#54 -- Larry Smith, 6??™5??™??™ (Sr.) P

Juniors

#14 -- Gavin Duncon, 5??™9??™??™ (Jr.) PG

Sophomores

#12 -- James Songster, 5??™10??™??™ (So.) W

#34 -- Will Carter, 5??™10??™??™ (So.) W

#40 -- Daniel Norris, 6??™0??™??™ (So.) W

#41 -- Ryan Mitchell, 6??™0??™??™ (So.) W

#44 -- Preston Vaught, 6??™5??™??™ (So.) P

Freshman

#23 -- Jaylen Allen, 6??™1??™??™ (Fr.) W

#30 -- Zach Howard, 6??™0??™??™ (Fr.) PG

I would generally assume that when the games actually count come tournament time (i.e. Arby's Classic and District/Regional/Sectional/State Tournaments), when the games aren't non-conference games or showcases for potential college scouts, you'll find that Coach Cutlip does not play more than nine players. Looking back at the stat sheets he played fourteen players against Sullivan Central in a 64-39 victory. Unless we attended the (Walton, GA) game, we really don't know if the time played by the underclassman were quality or garbage minutes, or simply time allowing the main contributors to catch a blow. We must recall that the game was high intensity and went into two overtimes. The purpose of the game, speed of the game, foul trouble, fatigue, or actual faith in his players abilities could have led Coach Cutlip to play all seventeen of his players. Just some thoughts.

Here is the points break down for Science Hill in their game against Walton, GA in the Roundball Showcase. Also included is the Science Hill varsity roster for this 2008-2009 season, per tricitiessports.com.

Science Hill (84)

Seniors

J. Odem 30

J. Hamilton 2

C. Smith 17

I. Kinley 6

D. Hancock 11

R.J. Jackson 0

Z. Joran 2

J. Daniel 4

L. Smith 14

Juniors

G. Duncon 0

Sophomores

J. Songster 0

W. Carter 0

D. Norris 0

R. Mitchell 0

P. Vaught 0

Freshman

J. Allen 0

Z. Howard 0

2008-2009 Science Hill Hilltoppers

Seniors

#10 -- Jose Odem, 6??™5??™??™ (Sr.) W

#21 -- Jamieson Hamilton, 5??™10??™??™ (Sr.) PG

#22 -- Chris Smith, 6??™2??™??™ (Sr.) W

#24 -- Isaac Kinley, 5??™10??™??™ (Sr.) W

#32 -- Detric Hancock, 6??™0??™??™ (Sr.) W

#33 -- R.J. Jackson, 5??™10??™??™ (Sr.) PG

#50 -- Zach Joran, 6??™5??™??™ (Sr.) P

#52 -- John Daniel, 6??™5??™??™ (Sr.) P

#54 -- Larry Smith, 6??™5??™??™ (Sr.) P

Juniors

#14 -- Gavin Duncon, 5??™9??™??™ (Jr.) PG

Sophomores

#12 -- James Songster, 5??™10??™??™ (So.) W

#34 -- Will Carter, 5??™10??™??™ (So.) W

#40 -- Daniel Norris, 6??™0??™??™ (So.) W

#41 -- Ryan Mitchell, 6??™0??™??™ (So.) W

#44 -- Preston Vaught, 6??™5??™??™ (So.) P

Freshman

#23 -- Jaylen Allen, 6??™1??™??™ (Fr.) W

#30 -- Zach Howard, 6??™0??™??™ (Fr.) PG

I would generally assume that when the games actually count come tournament time (i.e. Arby's Classic and District/Regional/Sectional/State Tournaments), when the games aren't non-conference games or showcases for potential college scouts, you'll find that Coach Cutlip does not play more than nine players. Looking back at the stat sheets he played fourteen players against Sullivan Central in a 64-39 victory. Unless we attended the (Walton, GA) game, we really don't know if the time played by the underclassman were quality or garbage minutes, or simply time allowing the main contributors to catch a blow. We must recall that the game was high intensity and went into two overtimes. The purpose of the game, speed of the game, foul trouble, fatigue, or actual faith in his players abilities could have led Coach Cutlip to play all seventeen of his players. Just some thoughts.

I was at the Walton game and for the most part SH played about 10 players. Others came in very briefly. Jaylen Allen was in for about 25 seconds. I thought Walton had the better team. SH point guards made about a dozen turnovers. So much, that Odem started playing point guard.

Walton's stud player fouled out in the third quarter. Walton had the ball for the last 1:35 in the first over time and couldn't score.

The next day, one of Walton's player got fouled hard going up for dunk. On a later foul, Walton's bench emptied and every bench player was booted from the game. This gave the other team 18 technical foul shots. I think they made 10. It also left Walton with only four players. One player later fouled leaving only three. Walton still won by 10 playing the other team 3 on 5.

The next day, one of Walton's player got fouled hard going up for dunk. On a later foul, Walton's bench emptied and every bench player was booted from the game. This gave the other team 18 technical foul shots. I think they made 10. It also left Walton with only four players. One player later fouled leaving only three. Walton still won by 10 playing the other team 3 on 5.

Sounds like a bunch of thugs at that school, and what does it say about the coaching?

Sounds like a bunch of thugs at that school, and what does it say about the coaching?

From what I was told, same old NET officiating. They were getting killed and nothing called. Then on the play where it all broke loose, the player was trying to get up and got kicked and no call. Interestingly, Walton was the only techs given and ejected. LC players were involved but nothing done.

Walton coach said it was the worst officiating he had ever experienced. I could have told him that. NET officials are becoming more of a joke.

The Walton coach was a spirited coach and the refs didn't like it.

Tonight??™s (12/9) Big 9 Conference Schedule

Dobyns Bennett @ Sullivan Central

Tennessee High @ Daniel Boone

Sullivan East @ Sullivan South

David Crockett @ Volunteer

tricitiessportsfan Picks:

Dobyns Bennett over Sullivan Central

Tennessee High over Daniel Boone

Sullivan East over Sullivan South

Volunteer over David Crockett

tricitiessportsfan Pick'em record: 7-1

I will be attending the Dobyns Bennett @ Sullivan Central game tonight in Blountville. I will have my post game review posted later tonight, along with the tricitiessportsfan scoreboard and Pick'em results. If you plan to attend a game tonight, wear a jacket and take a umbrella, it's supposed to rain.

Roll Tribe.

New show is up. www.thefastbreakshow.com

Show Notes:

Previous Week Review

Big 9 Officiating

The Fast Break Show Player of the Week

The Fast Break Top 10 Teams in Northeast Tennessee

Picks for Upcoming Weeks Games

Send all questions, comments and suggestion to:

comments@thefastbreakshow.com

Technical trouble has been resolved. Show can now be downloaded and the player is now working.