big 9 basketball

unc1

I dunno, Sylvester last night put the team on his back, and single handedly gave them a lead with his steals and hustle. I think if anyone else would have had a good night with him DB coulda pulled last night out. However, give credit to Central for not letting the Indians get on track.

I was able to catch the DB/Crockett game on the radio after leaving work late and one other game the same way this year. From TCSF's accessments and others opinion, there has to be a little concern for the Tribe this season. Tom Throp always does a good job broadcasting and did not sugar-coat the Crockett game. From my point of view...this team has yet to play a complete game. The Volunteer game was start fast and ALLOW them back in it. Retake a big lead, only to ALLOW them back in it again. Last year's team knew how to put away teams and not let them get close. This year's team has done it almost every game and it has come back to bite them in the Central game. I believe Morgan has addressed this issue and will have them ready come tourney time. One other issue I saw is that they seem to play up to their competition and down to their competition. Meaning...against lower skilled teams, they tend to be lacksidaysical in their execution. Most coaches know that CHEMISTRY (#2) and EXECUTION (#3) are the two of the three most important things to have on a team. The first is Fundamentals, and ANY coach should already know that. As a fan, don't worry about the losses of a team unless it shows a pattern. I would be more worried about the pattern of Up-and-down play by the Indians before I would this loss. The old Science Hill teams knew how to put away teams and did not play to their opponents levels. DB will find a way to iron out the wrinkles. GOOD luck to all this weekend and GOD BLESS!!!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight's (12/10) Big 9 Conference Scoreboard

(brought to you by tricitiessportsfan)

Science Hill 78, Volunteer 62

Kenny Hawkins said it was too much Odem in the 'Bird's Nest'.

tricitiessportsfan Pick'em record: 11-2*

*- I will have Friday nights tricitiessportsfan Pick'em predictions posted tomorrow night after my last final exam.

Big 9 Conference Standings – As of 12/10/08

Tennessee High 3-0

Science Hill 2-0

Sullivan Central 2-1

Dobyns Bennett 2-1

Sullivan East 2-1

Volunteer 1-2

Sullivan South 1-2

Daniel Boone 0-3

David Crockett 0-3

I agree that this was the worst officiating I have seen in the many Big 9 Conference games I have attended to date. I also agree that good officiating can have an influence at the end of a game, especially with fouls that lead to free throw opportunities. However, I still believe the officials did not make the difference in this game. They were consistently bad throughout the game and did not seem to discriminate. The Cougars whipped the Indians last night. Both will benefit from the outcome. Sullivan Central will gain confidence from the victory. Dobyns Bennett will refocus and learn from the loss. I would say if you asked any of the players on the floor, from either team, they all would admit the officiating was bad, but I also believe they would tell you the officiating wasn't the difference in the game.

this must to have been a normal vol team game from what i read in the paper today, 2 int, 2 tech,54 fouls and 72 free throws glad to see the officials calling what they should hope their calling continues to stop a lot of the fouls and the palyers can play the way the should.

Looks like according to the tricitiessports that Volunteer is at it again.

???They really fouled Josh hard at the start of the game and he responded in the way that you want him to respond,??? added Cutlip. ???He went out and made them pay. That??™s very tough to do but it is a testament to Josh and to our kids tonight.???

Falcons head coach Todd Whittemore said he was proud of his team??™s play as they begin to understand what it takes to win night in and night out in the Big Nine Conference.

???Our guys played with heart, they didn??™t back down, they weren??™t intimidated and they fought to the end,??? said the Falcons??™ head coach.

???I??™ve got no problem with this loss other than we need to do better on our free throws,??? added Whittemore. ???Chris Parker??™s got five staples in his head and then he burst his lip open tonight. Ethan Pearcy should be back right after the first of the year.???

Way to go coach. Teach them boys to beat up the other team and you will continue to teach those life lessons. Let's go Volunteer fans. Are you going to back him again? He is proud that his players are beating up others and having busted lips and staples in their heads.

I do have a plan that would totally help Falcons. The way the football program has been going, why don't ya'll make him the football coach. He is teaching it on the basketball court and your football team is not hitting like you want. Make him the football and basketball coach and you can save money and he can teach his tactics all year long.

???They really fouled Josh hard at the start of the game and he responded in the way that you want him to respond,??? added Cutlip. ???He went out and made them pay. That??™s very tough to do but it is a testament to Josh and to our kids tonight.???

Falcons head coach Todd Whittemore said he was proud of his team??™s play as they begin to understand what it takes to win night in and night out in the Big Nine Conference.

???Our guys played with heart, they didn??™t back down, they weren??™t intimidated and they fought to the end,??? said the Falcons??™ head coach.

???I??™ve got no problem with this loss other than we need to do better on our free throws,??? added Whittemore. ???Chris Parker??™s got five staples in his head and then he burst his lip open tonight. Ethan Pearcy should be back right after the first of the year.???

Way to go coach. Teach them boys to beat up the other team and you will continue to teach those life lessons. Let's go Volunteer fans. Are you going to back him again? He is proud that his players are beating up others and having busted lips and staples in their heads.

I do have a plan that would totally help Falcons. The way the football program has been going, why don't ya'll make him the football coach. He is teaching it on the basketball court and your football team is not hitting like you want. Make him the football and basketball coach and you can save money and he can teach his tactics all year long.

I'm not really an advocate of Volunteer's style of play nor a critic . Coach W certainly has them play a very physical brand of defense. The stat line for this game shows 25 FTs for Science Hill and 47 for Volunteer .If you criticize the Falcons for fouling ,how can you not call out Science Hill? Apparently they're just a little softer.

I'm not really an advocate of Volunteer's style of play nor a critic . Coach W certainly has them play a very physical brand of defense. The stat line for this game shows 25 FTs for Science Hill and 47 for Volunteer .If you criticize the Falcons for fouling ,how can you not call out Science Hill? Apparently they're just a little softer.

I don't agree with their either. The difference is SH slaps and Vol hits. SH will just lean on you and slap your wrists. Volunteer will put you in the wall or hit you in the face.

I believe basketball, especially here, has gotten too physical. The problem is with our officials the players do not know what they will call. They will let you bang inside and then will call a touch foul out front. They players are confused by the lack of consistency not only in certain officials but especially in a game because the officials are not all calling the same things. The other night I saw a game where one official would let you bang inside and the other would call it a foul. The game was different according to who was down low.

My thought: Call it by the book and clean it up. Rough foul, throw them out. They did it to Walton, why not all teams.

If his players are beating up others how are they getting staples in their heads? They are getting beat up themselves and are trying to hold their ground. They are smaller and less talented than other teams, but they are working hard to stay in the games. SH had two of their own technicals and they weren't just slapping around. They were hitting hard and trash talking all night. They had 8 players with 4 fouls. I would say they are taught to play overly aggressive.

I don't agree with their either. The difference is SH slaps and Vol hits. SH will just lean on you and slap your wrists. Volunteer will put you in the wall or hit you in the face.

I believe basketball, especially here, has gotten too physical. The problem is with our officials the players do not know what they will call. They will let you bang inside and then will call a touch foul out front. They players are confused by the lack of consistency not only in certain officials but especially in a game because the officials are not all calling the same things. The other night I saw a game where one official would let you bang inside and the other would call it a foul. The game was different according to who was down low.

My thought: Call it by the book and clean it up. Rough foul, throw them out. They did it to Walton, why not all teams.

Your thought is absolutely STUPID! How do you think he got the staples and busted lip???? His team mates didnt beat him up before tipoff! Think before you get on here and make statements as ridiculous as that. We didnt get on here and cry when this happened to him. Get off there case its old. BTW Science Hill got technicals for being cocky. Great Sportsmanship! THUG Basketball at its Best!!!!

Let's not get caught up in the quality of officiating or the tactics of Volunteer's coach and players on this thread. That back and forth ruined the Big 9 Conference thread last year. I, for one, found it rather annoying and it killed the purpose of that thread, keeping away those who could have added quality information, logical analysis, and reasonable banter. My suggestion for those wanting to comment on the things mentioned above, create a new thread and post to your hearts content.

Big 9 Conference Schedule - Friday, December 12

Sullivan South @ Science Hill

Sullivan Central @ Sullivan East

David Crockett @ Daniel Boone

tricitiessportsfan Picks:

Science Hill over Sullivan South

Sullivan Central over Sullivan East

Daniel Boone over David Crockett

tricitiessportsfan Pick'em record: 11-2

Enjoy.