big 9 basketball

unc1

If I may, there is no such thing as a Middle School State Champion or a Middle School State Tournament. The TSSAA has, for the past decade, operated a Middle School division of athletics under the authority of the TMSAA. Under this body, the state is broken down into three grand divisions (East, Middle, West), then into Areas (basically regions) inside each grand division. When post season tournaments begin (as the TMSSAA is not organized like the TSSAA during playoffs) schools are broken down into Small and Large Divisions, dependent upon enrollment. The East grand division is broken down into 6 areas for a total of 109 schools. The East grand division (for reasons unknown to me) is first broken down into two regions, Northeast (Areas 1-4) and Southeast (Areas 5-6). The Northeast Region break down is as follows:

Area 1 (30 Schools - 8 counties)

Carter - 3

Cocke - 1

Greene - 3

Hawkins - 4

Jefferson - 2

Sullivan - 12

Washington - 3

Unicoi - 2

Area 2 (27 schools - 7 counties)

Anderson - 2

Campbell - 8

Claiborne - 3

Morgan - 4

Roane - 3

Scott - 4

Union - 1

Area 3 (12 schools - 2 counties)

Cocke - 1

Sevier- 11

Area 4 (17 schools - 6 counties)

Blount - 5

Knox - 1

Loudon - 3

McMinn - 1

Monroe - 1

Roane - 6

The Northeast Region consists of 86 schools who are then broken down into Small and Large Divisions. The Northeast Regions sectional tournament is played in Pigeon Forge each year and crowns two champions (one small and one large). Holston Middle School won the Northeast Region Small Division Championship in 2004 and 2005. Mary Hughes Middle School won the Northeast Region Small Division Championship in 2006.

You were correct that they were champions, feats worth commending, just not actual state champions. Obviously I overanalyzed all of this a bit, but it is somewhat educational.

Great info TCSF. Imight add that area 1 usually dominates in the Northeast large division. Sevier, Science Hill, and Colonial Heights have all won the championship in recent years. Robertsville from Oak Ridge is normally in the mix as well. I think the reason this success doesn't necessarily equate to high school state appearances lies in the fact that we are not competing with all the Knoxville schools in the sectionals. They must not be members of the TMSAA.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see East beating DB. I know they killed Central and Central beat DB, but I don't see it happening.

The fact that East has all these 3pt shooters, year in and year out blows my mind though. Snapp last year, along with Cross and Deeb, now this year both Cross and Deeb look impressive. If you guys remember, the senior class this year at Sullivan East and Sullivan Central has the Mary Hughes and Holston teams that played in the State Championship game in Middle School. Cross was playing on the Mary Hughes team as a 6th grader then /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Both of these teams could quiet possibly make some noise this year.

I believe East having great shooters is not by accident. I'm guessing their great shooters spend a lot of time working with "the marksman" aka Mark Mason , arguably the best jump shooter NET has ever known. It's all about learning proper mechanics and making them second nature thru repetition.

I believe East having great shooters is not by accident. I'm guessing their great shooters spend a lot of time working with "the marksman" aka Mark Mason , arguably the best jump shooter NET has ever known. It's all about learning proper mechanics and making them second nature thru repetition.

cross played for mason in middle school for 3 years and ended up the all time middle school scorer there. so i would guess he and mason spend alot of time together in the gym!!

Just another reminder. The new episode of the show is up. Hope everyone enjoys. Thanks for all of the support.

www.thefastbreakshow.com

Email us at: comments@thefastbreakshow.com

12/13/08 SHOW NOTES

Past Week Review

Player Of The Week

Top 10

Big 9 Officials

Science Hill @ Volunteer

Discussion On How Physical The Game Has Become

Picks For This Coming Week

cross played for mason in middle school for 3 years and ended up the all time middle school scorer there. so i would guess he and mason spend alot of time together in the gym!!

Are you kidding me? Middle schools keeping up with points scored for a career. I would suppose Mary Hughes was a middle school when East was built. That is a long time ago probably 38 to 40 years ago. You sound like a dad to me. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Are you kidding me? Middle schools keeping up with points scored for a career. I would suppose Mary Hughes was a middle school when East was built. That is a long time ago probably 38 to 40 years ago. You sound like a dad to me. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Mary Hughes was a high school until Sullivan East was built, a consolidation of Bluff City, Mary Hughes, and Holston Valley.

Just to let you know what actually happened to Parker, which was NOT a result of the Science Hill game as you might have most to believe......... Tricitiessports.com quoted from the Crockett game... "Volunteer??™s lineup, already limited by two injuries to starters, took another blow in the second half as forward Chris Parker took a blow to the head as he attempted a layup and suffered a cut across the top of his head. His condition was unavailable at the time of press, but was taken to the ER for closure." Who did the beating up? If Volunteer had sent someone to the ER for stitches, there would have been ANARCHY!!! Surely Crockett's coach teaches this doesn't he, and why did noone get on here shouting MUTINY???!!!! If you're going to use a resource to show your false claims, then be prepared for someone to double check your references and put you in check. One thing I do know about THIS year's team. They might not win a lot of games, but they ALL have great attitudes. GOD BLESS!!!!

Crockett lost one of their kids to a knee injury that night too.........

if you knew aything about the big 9 you should know when the high schools were build including central!!! east was build in 1969 same year as central. mary hughes, bluff city and holston valley combined to form east, blountville and holston combined for central. north and south followed after these. and yes i was a dad of a player in the big 9 several years ago.

Lady Vikings 50

Lady Indians 45

Final

Dobyns Bennett 56

Tennessee High 40

Final

The Indians led by ten plus for more than three quarters, shooting fifty percent overall on the night. Jordan Edwards owned the inside putting up big numbers yet again. The Tribe looked like they rebounded nicely from the Sullivan Central debacle. Sylvester did leave the game late with a knee injury, but Coach Morgan said he looks to be fine in his post game interview with Don Spivey. Great job tonight Indians.

Roll Tribe.

Crockett lost one of their kids to a knee injury that night too.........

It was a bit of sarcasm CrockettFan. It was not intended to say that there was unfair play. I have too much respect for Poe and his staff. Anyhoo.....anybody know what the score was from Monday's game? GOD Bless!!!! Good luck to all tonight.....