big 9 basketball

unc1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Highland Union Bank Tournament MVP is Sullivan Central's Nathan Vannoy [#32] who racked up 26 points to lead Central past Twin Valley for the title.. He's so dangerous and is continually hitting those 10- to 12-foot jumpers!

Not to rain on your parade...but there is a reason why non of the teams that participate in that tournament have never been invited to the Arby's. Central obviously the exception. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Not to rain on your parade...but there is a reason why non of the teams that participate in that tournament have never been invited to the Arby's. Central obviously the exception. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

UH.....Central, Volunteer, and now Twin Springs. And as far as the standings issue, I do agree abut match-ups entirely. But the statistical side is just that. We have a whole second half of the season to see who will wear the Big Nine crown. Hopefully I will get to see you Monday. I haven't been to a game this season. I did listen to the Hill game you guys had, and it seemed that TN High controlled tempo, something a good PG can do. Congrats to you and the Vikes!!!! God BLESS!!!!!

...and now Twin Springs...

I feel I need to correct you, you've incorrectly cited Twin Springs a few times now. Twin Valley, not Twin Springs, finished second in last weeks Highlands Union Bank Tipoff Tournament and will be participating in the Arby's Classic later this week. Twin Valley High School, home of the Panthers, is located in Pilgrims Knob, Buchanan County, Virginia.

I know that there are many of you that will simple write of this game to Science Hill just having an off night due to the DB game. And I will admit that Josh easily had a lack luster performance...but their is a reason for that. Just like Science Hill "threw everything but the kitchen sink" at Corey Young tonight, Coach Witcher's obvious game plan was to limit the touches of "the Great One" Josh Odem...and I say that with all due respect because he is hands down the best rounded player in this region without a doubt. By limiting his touches you put all the pressure on Chris Smith and PG Jamison (sp) to initiate the offensive attach for the Hill Toppers and everybody knows that after riding the same horse for as long as Coach Cutlup has this year it takes more than just one game to put the saddle on another horse when the bread winner gets cut off from the heard by the electric zone (D) fence that the Vikings displayed tonight. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Solid game by all five of the starters for the Vikings. And the bench (however shallow) also played their role and put in good work. Tyler Place (6 man) is knocking on starting five's door IMO! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I saw the Science Hill/Tennessee High game, and thought that Tennessee High outplayed SH in all aspects of the game--out hustled, out rebounded, out shot, etc.-- for the first three quarters. Tennessee High definitely overguarded Josh Odem, but Josh was also cold from the field and the free throw line. SH continued to over rely on Josh and continuted to shoot three pointers and miss. In the second half SH started driving to the goal and starting coming back, but SH continued to shoot too many three pointers. Every time they would drive they would score; every time they shot the three pointer they missed. Sometimes coaching logic evades my simple mind.

The last quarter, SH played smothering defense forcing Tennessee High into several 5 second calls. The high point of the game for SH was the kid at the end who stepped up and made the three free throws to send the game into overtime. In OT, Tennessee High came out and outplayed SH, just as they did in the first three quarters. SH kept fouling the point guard who kept making his free throws. Again, the coaching logic evaded my simple mind.

Although my son plays basketball for SH and I am biased toward SH, I thought Tennessee High outplayed SH. SH relies on smothering defense and the three point shot. A methodical, physical team that plays good zone defense and has a reliable point guard is going to give SH problems during the season. That was Tennessee High on Friday.

Cherokee 13

Dobyns Bennett 12

End of 1st quarter.

Indians are looking sluggish, playing uninspired. Indians are missing layups and jump shots, turning the ball over, and giving up easy buckets on defense. Cherokee is employing the two three zone to try and deny Edwards the ball inside.

Cherokee 17

Dobyns Bennett 30

Halftime.

Tribe turned up the defense, holding Cherokee scoreless for five minutes (making first basket of the quarter at the three minute mark), while beginning to knock down shots behind Adams, McConnell, and Edwards. Indians went on a 18-4 run for the quarter, pushing out to a 30-17 halftime advantage.

Cherokee 26

Dobyns Bennett 53

End of 3rd quarter.

Indians employed full court pressure in the third quarter, having success in disrupting the Chiefs offense. The pace of the game quickened, giving Cherokee further trouble, playing to the Tribes advantage. Dobyns Bennett outscored Cherokee 23-9 for the quarter, pushing their lead out to twenty seven, 53-26.

Cherokee 43

Dobyns Bennett 70

Final.

The first half of the quarter was back and forth with the Indians employing the extended possession method (extra passing around the perimeter). Dobyns Bennett checked the junior varsity in with three minutes remaining against the Cherokee starters, they looked pretty good. The fourth quarter, scoring wise, was a push, with the Indians winning, 70-43.

I feel I need to correct you, you've incorrectly cited Twin Springs a few times now. Twin Valley, not Twin Springs, finished second in last weeks Highlands Union Bank Tipoff Tournament and will be participating in the Arby's Classic later this week. Twin Valley High School, home of the Panthers, is located in Pilgrims Knob, Buchanan County, Virginia.

Sorry bout that. Right team, wrong naming. I have McCrary on the brain /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> In all fairness, I do apologize to the program of Twin Valley. I did know who I was talking about, just my fingers couldn't keep up with my small brain. GOD BLESS!!!!

At the holiday break one would have to say" same ole Big 9" as far as the conference race goes. Everyone always knows it's DB and the Hill vying for the title with Tn Hi trying to throw in the monkey wrench. Do the Vikings have staying power? Can any county school compete with the big 3 down the stretch? Will the Arby's expose any truths about the conference race? Who is looking like the front runner for POTY? I'm interested to see if Corey Young can continue to lead Tn Hi to new heights. Also will South be able to continue improvement to finish .500 overall and in conference? That would be big for a program that has failed to win 10 the last two years. They are staring at a date with DB next in conference that could be a measuring stick for progress or a huge dose of reality. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> Merry Christmas to all!

At the holiday break one would have to say" same ole Big 9" as far as the conference race goes. Everyone always knows it's DB and the Hill vying for the title with Tn Hi trying to throw in the monkey wrench. Do the Vikings have staying power? Can any county school compete with the big 3 down the stretch? Will the Arby's expose any truths about the conference race? Who is looking like the front runner for POTY? I'm interested to see if Corey Young can continue to lead Tn Hi to new heights. Also will South be able to continue improvement to finish .500 overall and in conference? That would be big for a program that has failed to win 10 the last two years. They are staring at a date with DB next in conference that could be a measuring stick for progress or a huge dose of reality. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> Merry Christmas to all!

I honestly don't believe any of the county schools can compete with the 'Big 3' down the stretch. The closest to do so, Sullivan East, has dropped it's first two meetings with the 'Big 3' (Tennessee High and Dobyns Bennett). I don't see them beating the Hill, therefore they most likely will finish with six or more losses in conference play. David Crockett and Daniel Boone can already be written off, so to can Volunteer, though they are a scrappy bunch. Sullivan Central and Sullivan South may give the 'Big 3' fits, but I don't see them being able to overcome their slow starts to break into the top three.

I think we'll see some fine tuning and progress, but also some steps back in the Arby's. In the recent past some teams have gained a competitive edge, waking up for the better, while others have floundered (for various reasons). I think Dobyns Bennett and Science Hill will benefit most from the tournament, as they seem to play better against quality competition. Tennssee High will find out where they stand in comparison to the other two through their performance in the Arby's.

If Corey Young continues to play at the high level he is, and continues to lead his Vikings to the promise land, book him as the Big 9 POTY. Odem is the only one keeping pace with Young in the POTY race, as Sylvester is playing within a system with significant help (Edwards and Adams). Look for Sylvester to come to play in the Arby's, however, the Tribe needs him to be the Sly of old.

I believe Sullivan South is headed in the right direction. Their win over Sullivan Central was key. They should do well in the Citizen's Bank Holiday Tournament at Sullivan North next week, adding atleast two more victories to their win total. The more experience they get, the better off they'll be. I can see the Rebels finishing roughly fifth in conference when all the dust settles in February. As for the date with Dobyns Bennett on January 6, Sullivan South will have to shoot lights out like they did in the Cougars Den to have a chance.

*As a disclaimer, the banter above is simply my own opinion.