big 9 basketball

unc1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard the TN High/Science Hill game while going home. The Vikings had a ten point lead with five to go and allowed the Hill to tie & send it into overtime. The Vikes regrouped and held ground in overtime. The plot thickens in the Big Nine. Noone can take a game for granted within the top 4 or 5. As weird as it sounds, this game just might WAKE UP those teepee DB players to give their all and take no prisoners. Anything can happen when you ALLOW it to. GOD BLESS!!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I know that there are many of you that will simple write of this game to Science Hill just having an off night due to the DB game. And I will admit that Josh easily had a lack luster performance...but their is a reason for that. Just like Science Hill "threw everything but the kitchen sink" at Corey Young tonight, Coach Witcher's obvious game plan was to limit the touches of "the Great One" Josh Odem...and I say that with all due respect because he is hands down the best rounded player in this region without a doubt. By limiting his touches you put all the pressure on Chris Smith and PG Jamison (sp) to initiate the offensive attach for the Hill Toppers and everybody knows that after riding the same horse for as long as Coach Cutlup has this year it takes more than just one game to put the saddle on another horse when the bread winner gets cut off from the heard by the electric zone (D) fence that the Vikings displayed tonight. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Solid game by all five of the starters for the Vikings. And the bench (however shallow) also played their role and put in good work. Tyler Place (6 man) is knocking on starting five's door IMO! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Why didn't Justin Sylvester play in D-B's win over Sullivan East tonight ?

Sylvester sat out tonight's game against the Patriots due to a slight reaggravation of a knee injury in the Tennessee High game on Monday. I am told he will forgo the Cherokee game and be ready to go for the Arby's Classic.

The plot thickens in the Big Nine. Noone can take a game for granted within the top 4 or 5. As weird as it sounds, this game just might WAKE UP those teepee DB players to give their all and take no prisoners. Anything can happen when you ALLOW it to.

Stokomo, I surely hope it wakes up the Tribe as well. After tonight, though, I hope Coach Morgan cleans their clocks. The game was quite the spectacle (mainly for the wrong reasons).

I know that there are many of you that will simple write of this game to Science Hill just having an off night due to the DB game. And I will admit that Josh easily had a lack luster performance...but their is a reason for that. Just like Science Hill "threw everything but the kitchen sink" at Corey Young tonight, Coach Witcher's obvious game plan was to limit the touches of "the Great One" Josh Odem...and I say that with all due respect because he is hands down the best rounded player in this region without a doubt. By limiting his touches you put all the pressure on Chris Smith and PG Jamison (sp) to initiate the offensive attach for the Hill Toppers and everybody knows that after riding the same horse for as long as Coach Cutlup has this year it takes more than just one game to put the saddle on another horse when the bread winner gets cut off from the heard by the electric zone (D) fence that the Vikings displayed tonight.

Solid game by all five of the starters for the Vikings. And the bench (however shallow) also played their role and put in good work. Tyler Place (6 man) is knocking on starting five's door IMO! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Cap, I'll take the upset for what it is, a big win in a rivalry game that will hold great weight in the conference standings. You knew I said it from the beginning, the Viking starting five will compete with anybody. With the bench playing their role, and with a sixth man emerging, the conference horizon looks good for Tennessee High.

Your boys must have done a great job on the defensive end to slow down Odem. I'm not sold on Hamilton being able to take on a leading role, I've seen him play in various venues (local summer tournaments and high school) and he does not seem to be able to provide the necessary spark in big/quality opponent games for his team. C.Smith is the kicker, we'll see what Coach Cutlip does with him.

Honestly, I'm thankful for the present the Vikings gave my Indians this Christmas, keeping us in the title hunt sooner rather than later. Wish I could have been there to see it. Congratulations on the big win, pat your son on the back for me.

------------------------------

Tonight??™s (12/19) Big 9 Conference Scoreboard

(brought to you by tricitiessportsfan)

Dobyns Bennett 85, Sullivan East 74

Tennessee High 63, Science Hill 54

David Crockett 70, Chuckey Doak 52 ??“ Trailblazer Classic at Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone 68, Elizabethton 52 ??“ Trailblazer Classic at Daniel Boone

Sullivan Central 72, Lebanon, VA 61 ??“ Winners Bracket in HUB Tipoff Classic at Virginia High

*Twin Valley, VA 66, Volunteer 43 ??“ Winners Bracket in HUB Tipoff Classic at Virginia High

*Twin Valley, VA is playing in this years Arby??™s Classic, opening up in a play in game against Sumter, SC.

Big 9 Conference Standings as of Dec. 19

Team, Conference Record (Overall Record)

Dobyns Bennett, 4-1 (8-1)

Tennessee High, 4-1 (7-4)

Science Hill, 4-1 (12-2)

Sullivan East, 4-2 (9-3)

Sullivan South, 2-3 (5-6)

Sullivan Central, 2-3 (7-4)

Volunteer, 1-2 (5-7)

Daniel Boone, 1-4 (5-5)

David Crockett, 0-5 (3-8)

Big 9 Conference Schedule ??“ Saturday, December 20

David Crockett vs. Morristown West ??“ Trailblazer Classic at Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone vs. Chuckey Doak ??“ Trailblazer Classic at Daniel Boone

Volunteer vs. Lebanon, VA ??“ 3rd Place Game in HUB Tipoff Classic at Virginia High

Sullivan Central vs. Twin Valley, VA ??“ Championship Game in HUB Tipoff Classic at Virginia High

tricitiessportsfan Pick??™em record: 17-5

I text Coach Whitt after the Twin Springs game, and he said that early in the forth quarter the FT shooting was 31-3 in favor of Twin Springs. I was wanting to see if any Central fans had similiar results in their game, or could shed any light on what happened. I would have bet that Central would have had an easier time defeating Lebanon than the score indicated. Good Luck tonight to all Big Nine teams. GOD Bless!!!! 4 shopping days!!!!!! Just try & remember the REAL meaning of the holidays.......

Big 9 Conference Standings as of Dec. 19

Team, Conference Record (Overall Record)

Dobyns Bennett, 4-1 (8-1)

Tennessee High, 4-1 (7-4)

Science Hill, 4-1 (12-2)

Sullivan East, 4-2 (9-3)

Sullivan South, 2-3 (5-6)

Sullivan Central, 2-3 (7-4)

Volunteer, 1-2 (5-7)

Daniel Boone, 1-4 (5-5)

David Crockett, 0-5 (3-8)

Big 9 Conference Schedule ??“ Saturday, December 20

David Crockett vs. Morristown West ??“ Trailblazer Classic at Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone vs. Chuckey Doak ??“ Trailblazer Classic at Daniel Boone

Volunteer vs. Lebanon, VA ??“ 3rd Place Game in HUB Tipoff Classic at Virginia High

Sullivan Central vs. Twin Valley, VA ??“ Championship Game in HUB Tipoff Classic at Virginia High

tricitiessportsfan Pick??™em record: 17-5

My argument with this ranking is that DB lost to Central. That in itself should (and would on a more bias ranking) keep them from being 1st in the conference with the top three teams 4-1. Remember Central dropped games to East and South, so a loss to them in not like losing to DB or THS. This season is shaping up to be about match-ups instead of domination in the Big 9...each team having it's strengths and weaknesses with their opponents left to try to adjust. I think you need to come to the realization that the Indians are at this point no longer the clear cut favorites. Heck...Ron Bliss now has Tennessee High ranked below East despite the fact that East has two conference losses...one being a head to head with the Vikings. I guess with you DB boys 2 + 2 = DB, just like 3 +5 = DB, and 10 + 10 = DB!!!! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

My argument with this ranking is that DB lost to Central. That in itself should (and would on a more bias ranking) keep them from being 1st in the conference with the top three teams 4-1.... I guess with you DB boys 2 + 2 = DB, just like 3 +5 = DB, and 10 + 10 = DB!!!! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

In all actuality, Tri is right on the head with his standings, NOT RANKINGS. Yes there is a tie in records, but Science Hill/DB have not played each other, so TN High by virtue of beating Science Hill goes ahead of Science Hill. DB beat TN High and that is the two-way split. If it were DB/TN High/Central tied, then it would be a three-way tie. So right now if the District started today, it would be DB #1, TN High #2, and Science Hill is currently #3. In essence, Science Hill went from #1 to #3 in 32 minutes of play. Gotta bring your "A" game each night. Nothing will given to any team this year. I think it is a combination of "lack of focus" and a "lack sheer desire" on the part of these players. I haven't seen so many teams take so many possessions off in a long time. Some players actually think they can turn the ignition on whenever they want and it will be ok. Let me school you young players for future reference......YOU might be able to turn on the ignition and play good whenever you get ready, BUT!!!!!! What you also do is give opponents confidence as the game goes on & the longer you ALLOW them to stay in games. ONCE a player or team GAINS confidence against any team or player, that's all they need to stage an upset. When you finally decide to turn it on, you find yourself on equal ground instead of dominating your opponent and anything can happen after that point has been reached.

One last note..... When I coached AAU, I carried a deck of UNO cards one season. Any player not giving their all and not focused on the game (even the bench), I gave the deck of cards and told them to play UNO at the end of the bench because they would not get back in the game. Only once did a player actually play with those cards......and he scored his last points that day for the Yellowjackets. He was also a starter for me, but I found out his heart was not really in it when that happened. For many fans, players, and coaches....you will find out whose heart is in it and whose heart just will not help you get to where you want to go. GOD Bless you along your journey!!!!!

We were good enough to beat Farragut, Siegel, and Greeneville. Does that mean the whole state stinks?

i went to the east db game instead of going to the sh and tn high game, just like i said if the refs keep the db game called like it should it would be a good game and it was till they realized db was having too many fouls called against them and they stoppped calling it like it started, edwards had 3 and picked up the 4th at the start of the 3rd, i don't know if this would have made much of a diffence because the east defense was so tough db had to shot layups the 2nd half, they should have dropped back in to the zone and it would have been a different game jmo. i still think sh is the best in the big 9, sorry th high but i still think your 3rd. big 9 upsets all year!!!!

My argument with this ranking is that DB lost to Central. That in itself should (and would on a more bias ranking) keep them from being 1st in the conference with the top three teams 4-1. Remember Central dropped games to East and South, so a loss to them in not like losing to DB or THS. This season is shaping up to be about match-ups instead of domination in the Big 9...each team having it's strengths and weaknesses with their opponents left to try to adjust. I think you need to come to the realization that the Indians are at this point no longer the clear cut favorites. Heck...Ron Bliss now has Tennessee High ranked below East despite the fact that East has two conference losses...one being a head to head with the Vikings. I guess with you DB boys 2 + 2 = DB, just like 3 +5 = DB, and 10 + 10 = DB!!!!

Cap, you know what you quoted was simply standings, not rankings. You also know why I placed them in the order I did. Your comment did make me chuckle a bit though, /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> . The recent slide Sullivan Central took makes the Indians one loss look that much worse, /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" . I, personally, know Dobyns Bennett isn't the best, nor are they the favorites. I think I've been one of the few, along with Waco, to point out the Indians shortcomings on a regular basis. In reality, there are no real favorites. The current top four all have a chance to finish on top, some with a better chance than others. I agree with you, it's all about match ups from here on out. We both know the NET Top 10 isn't realistic. I think Ron simply does the popular thing, his website being a Kingsport based publication. Look for him to move the Vikings up to third, move Greeneville to second, and drop the 'Toppers to fourth. That's my best guess. Bliss seems to never show love to Bristol. Regardless, good luck against Volunteer on Monday, I'll be making the trip up to Bristol, and in the Arby's in the coming week.

Cap, you know what you quoted was simply standings, not rankings. You also know why I placed them in the order I did. Your comment did make me chuckle a bit though, /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> . The recent slide Sullivan Central took makes the Indians one loss look that much worse, /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" . I, personally, know Dobyns Bennett isn't the best, nor are they the favorites. I think I've been one of the few, along with Waco, to point out the Indians shortcomings on a regular basis. In reality, there are no real favorites. The current top four all have a chance to finish on top, some with a better chance than others. I agree with you, it's all about match ups from here on out. We both know the NET Top 10 isn't realistic. I think Ron simply does the popular thing, his website being a Kingsport based publication. Look for him to move the Vikings up to third, move Greeneville to second, and drop the 'Toppers to fourth. That's my best guess. Bliss seems to never show love to Bristol. Regardless, good luck against Volunteer on Monday, I'll be making the trip up to Bristol, and in the Arby's in the coming week.

Interesting note we (GHS) have played only 2 teams with winning records, Roanoke Catholic, we won and we lost to DB by 20.

Sorry, I haven't checked our opponents in a week. Betsy is now 5-4 and Knox Catholic is 4-2. Remove DB and Roanoke and GHS opponents are 32- 58. With DB and Roanoke the schedule jumps to 49-62. We have some talent and are very well coached but our schedule is probably the weakest of the better teams in fairity.

In all actuality, Tri is right on the head with his standings, NOT RANKINGS. Yes there is a tie in records, but Science Hill/DB have not played each other, so TN High by virtue of beating Science Hill goes ahead of Science Hill. DB beat TN High and that is the two-way split. If it were DB/TN High/Central tied, then it would be a three-way tie. So right now if the District started today, it would be DB #1, TN High #2, and Science Hill is currently #3. In essence, Science Hill went from #1 to #3 in 32 minutes of play. Gotta bring your "A" game each night. Nothing will given to any team this year. I think it is a combination of "lack of focus" and a "lack sheer desire" on the part of these players. I haven't seen so many teams take so many possessions off in a long time. Some players actually think they can turn the ignition on whenever they want and it will be ok. Let me school you young players for future reference......YOU might be able to turn on the ignition and play good whenever you get ready, BUT!!!!!! What you also do is give opponents confidence as the game goes on & the longer you ALLOW them to stay in games. ONCE a player or team GAINS confidence against any team or player, that's all they need to stage an upset. When you finally decide to turn it on, you find yourself on equal ground instead of dominating your opponent and anything can happen after that point has been reached.

One last note..... When I coached AAU, I carried a deck of UNO cards one season. Any player not giving their all and not focused on the game (even the bench), I gave the deck of cards and told them to play UNO at the end of the bench because they would not get back in the game. Only once did a player actually play with those cards......and he scored his last points that day for the Yellowjackets. He was also a starter for me, but I found out his heart was not really in it when that happened. For many fans, players, and coaches....you will find out whose heart is in it and whose heart just will not help you get to where you want to go. GOD Bless you along your journey!!!!!

Stoke...with all due respect...I must disagree. First off...at this point rankings and standings hold the same definition IMO. Second...I don't think you pulled out the most important statement in my last post. "This season is shaping up to be about match-ups instead of domination in the Big 9". IMO SH did bring their "A game"...but the presence of a qualified PG negated the advantage of that "A game" which is points in transition...JMO. The advantage that they hold over most teams is their athleticism (speed, quickness, and agility). Corey Young's ability to control the offensive side of the ball last night for the Vikings, and limit turnovers forced SH to set up in their half court offense which is the equivalent of a thorn in the side for SH as opposed to DB which has a dominant post player. I say again that this season has panned out to be the year of the match-up. Witcher knew he had an ace in the hole with Young and with that ACE in hand he bet the farm that by limiting Odems touches in the SH half court offense, the remainder wouldn't be able to compensate for his lack of offensive production...and take note...he was right! Morgan did the same in exposing the Vikings lack of size and bench to deal with Edwards...check the stats. MATCH-UPS...thats my stand and I'm stickin with it. As far as the standings/rankings...when you loose to a team that looses to a team that has brighter tail lights than headlights (upset or not), you loose more cool point...It's simple math IMO.