big 9 basketball

unc1

So it was one game for SH & one for Volunteer but we get slammed for it. Go Figure! And you must be a special kind of Rebel to be one of lucky people to be invited to a pratice to hear Coach Whitt tell his boys to be "dirty". I've never heard Whitt having an open practice to invite people to watch. But like I said you must be special. Does the short bus pick you up every morning? Like I said Facts Not Fiction.........

Every team has its specific characteristics that they are known for year in and year out. For the most part personnel has less, and who the coach is has more to do with this when it comes to the style of play you expect to see from each team. THS plays "slow ball" and relies heavily on zone defense. SHHS will always play up tempo transitional ball, and will usually keep the press on threw-out the entire game. DB plays the inside out game taking advantage of whatever the other team gives them wether it is a mismatch in size down low or a mismatch in athleticism. They play uptempo D and tend to score fast and often in trasisson if your PG is not up to par. Boone lives and dies by the three ball, and East picks ONE and feeds him the ball. I could go on and on but my point is that Whitmore obviously thinks that his teams can make up for this (self proclaimed) lack of size and athleticism by being physical...many times overly physical. I personally can't imagine him instructing his players to intentionally hurt another player, but many times his emotion and competitive edge tends to put his foot in his mouth when he speaks to the media immediately after a game (there's and obvious easy solution for that problem /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> ). I will leave you with this...sometimes not telling your team not to perform a specific way (overly aggressive in this case) can be just as bad as instructing them to do so. Kids are smarter than you think...and you don't have to hand out a trophy or put their name in lights for them to know that you are pleased with their actions. And neither do the rest of us. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

East clobbered Central tonight at the Patriot Palace by about 30. Got to say East got a lot of calls their way and it stopped Central from getting anything going. East did look good putting up almost 90 on the cougars they could definitely be a force to reckon with when their shots are falling.

East clobbered Central tonight at the Patriot Palace by about 30. Got to say East got a lot of calls their way and it stopped Central from getting anything going. East did look good putting up almost 90 on the cougars they could definitely be a force to reckon with when their shots are falling.

i was also at the game tonight and i thought it was one of the best called games i have watched in the big 9 this year, i would also say east never GOT alot of calls but it the calls that was made was correct calls for a change, still alot of fouls inside but over all was probly a B called game. the point guard for central was hurt that would have made a diffence but i don't think 30 pts.

Ok why not bash SH then for there roughness? No...its always Volunteer. Nobody in the Big 9 has ever had a techical for an excessive foul? But you only hear when it is Volunteer. You can't wait to run home get on your computer and gossip like a 90 year old woman. And when did YOU or Anybody hear Coach Whit tell his kids to undercut? When you can answer that with facts NOT fiction then I will listen. Just a bunch of gossiping old men on here that have no clue! Give this and the future Falcons a break!

Wow, guy, you totally missed everything I said. Like everything. I said forget about this one game. I said over the past few years they have been dirty. Not one game. Several years worth. I said forget this one game. I'm talking all the time for the past few years. And I didn't say I went to a practice. I said I've talked to players after they've graduated and they told me about Whit. Again, I didn't say I went to a practice. Again, you couldn't have messed that up anymore. You're as crazy as Whit!

Another huge upset in the big 9. It never stops. How do you beat DB and lose to East? I understand that Brown was out, but still I think this team could have put up a better fight. Even without Brown they should have won. Vannoy shot like 25 times again. Coach Vaughn needs to do something about that. You think Vannoy would notice his shot isn't falling and say "maybe I should taper off this shooting business." He doesn't. He shoots more. Ridiculous. I don't know what in blue blazes is going on in the big 9.

Another huge upset in the big 9. It never stops. How do you beat DB and lose to East? I understand that Brown was out, but still I think this team could have put up a better fight. Even without Brown they should have won. Vannoy shot like 25 times again. Coach Vaughn needs to do something about that. You think Vannoy would notice his shot isn't falling and say "maybe I should taper off this shooting business." He doesn't. He shoots more. Ridiculous. I don't know what in blue blazes is going on in the big 9.

well rebel i will tell you how to lose to east let them shot the 3 ball, if it is falling anybody in the big 9 will go down in defeat tothem, i would guess about 20 3's was made between both teams with roberts making almost all of them for central, east was spead out over the team which makes them hard to beat. i don't know what was wrong with devault tonight i didn't think he played enough!!

I won't go into too much detail about tonights game (Central vs. East) but I'll give my opinion.

Centrals defense was TERRIBLE! Absolutely god aweful. You would think after Deeb knocked about 5 in your face you would put a guy on him. Deep and Jordan Cross single handily beat the Cougars. East really stuck it to them, they shot the ball VERY well which is what they need to do to win. I don't see the Patriots winning too many on the road just because they rely on the outside shot. Its tough to shoot in different gyms.

Centrals only bright spot was Roberts. He had 7 threes I believe. He should have had around 23 points or so. He had 11 in the first quarter if I'm not mistaken. Brown being out for the Cougars really hurts them on offense. Brown helps the Cougars so much at PG regardless if he scores or not. He just doesn't turn the ball over very often. I can only remember one turnover he had against DB! With Brown out, they had to play Box and Harmon. Neither one had very good games, they threw the ball away, a lot. I would like to know just how many turnovers the Cougars had, I'm sure it isn't pretty.

What really disappointed me the most was the fact that the Cougars didn't take advantage of their post play. Against teams like East you need to be feeding the ball to DEVAULT! He doesn't get near as many touches as he should.

One thing I would like to know is where in the world does East get all these shooters from! The Deeb kid and Jordan Cross both are lights out shooters. I'm sure that can change in any given game but you could tell from watching Deeb in warmups that he was a shooter. YOU CAN'T LET THOSE GUYS SHOOT THE THREE BALL!!! I'd say they both scored over 20pts a piece.

Centrals offense needs to start scoring too. You can't score 60pts a game every week in the Big 9 and win all the time. In order for that to work they have to play defense like they did against DB.

Oh well, back to the drawing board I guess. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

With the Patriots apparent easy victory over the Cougars last night, next Friday's match up with Dobyns Bennett at Buck Van Huss becomes more intriguing. Considering Sullivan East takes on an inept David Crockett club on Monday (game could possibly be moved to Tuesday due to exam schedule rules in Sullivan County), the Patriots look to travel to Kingsport at 4-1 in conference play. If the Indians bounce back and take care of their home court on Monday against Tennessee High, they will enter Friday nights contest at 3-1 in conference play. That would set up a battle for outright second place in the Big 9. With Tennessee High taking on Science Hill at Freedom Hall and Sullivan East playing on the road at Dobyns Bennett, next Friday should offer two opportunities for great high school basketball.

I won't go into too much detail about tonights game (Central vs. East) but I'll give my opinion.

Centrals defense was TERRIBLE! Absolutely god aweful. You would think after Deeb knocked about 5 in your face you would put a guy on him. Deep and Jordan Cross single handily beat the Cougars. East really stuck it to them, they shot the ball VERY well which is what they need to do to win. I don't see the Patriots winning too many on the road just because they rely on the outside shot. Its tough to shoot in different gyms.

Centrals only bright spot was Roberts. He had 7 threes I believe. He should have had around 23 points or so. He had 11 in the first quarter if I'm not mistaken. Brown being out for the Cougars really hurts them on offense. Brown helps the Cougars so much at PG regardless if he scores or not. He just doesn't turn the ball over very often. I can only remember one turnover he had against DB! With Brown out, they had to play Box and Harmon. Neither one had very good games, they threw the ball away, a lot. I would like to know just how many turnovers the Cougars had, I'm sure it isn't pretty.

What really disappointed me the most was the fact that the Cougars didn't take advantage of their post play. Against teams like East you need to be feeding the ball to DEVAULT! He doesn't get near as many touches as he should.

One thing I would like to know is where in the world does East get all these shooters from! The Deeb kid and Jordan Cross both are lights out shooters. I'm sure that can change in any given game but you could tell from watching Deeb in warmups that he was a shooter. YOU CAN'T LET THOSE GUYS SHOOT THE THREE BALL!!! I'd say they both scored over 20pts a piece.

Centrals offense needs to start scoring too. You can't score 60pts a game every week in the Big 9 and win all the time. In order for that to work they have to play defense like they did against DB.

Oh well, back to the drawing board I guess. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

east has always been a 3 pt shooting team, seems they always endup with 1 or 2 players that can fill it up. if the in side keeps coming around it may not be the end of the season teams will worry about playing them, good test next week they got db in kingsport, i think they have opened some eyes after last night.

east has always been a 3 pt shooting team, seems they always endup with 1 or 2 players that can fill it up. if the in side keeps coming around it may not be the end of the season teams will worry about playing them, good test next week they got db in kingsport, i think they have opened some eyes after last night.

I don't see East beating DB. I know they killed Central and Central beat DB, but I don't see it happening.

The fact that East has all these 3pt shooters, year in and year out blows my mind though. Snapp last year, along with Cross and Deeb, now this year both Cross and Deeb look impressive. If you guys remember, the senior class this year at Sullivan East and Sullivan Central has the Mary Hughes and Holston teams that played in the State Championship game in Middle School. Cross was playing on the Mary Hughes team as a 6th grader then /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Both of these teams could quiet possibly make some noise this year.

I don't see East beating DB. I know they killed Central and Central beat DB, but I don't see it happening.

The fact that East has all these 3pt shooters, year in and year out blows my mind though. Snapp last year, along with Cross and Deeb, now this year both Cross and Deeb look impressive. If you guys remember, the senior class this year at Sullivan East and Sullivan Central has the Mary Hughes and Holston teams that played in the State Championship game in Middle School. Cross was playing on the Mary Hughes team as a 6th grader then /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Everybody was saying there was no way Central could beat DB also. It didn't take long for somebody to figure out that DB can't shoot from outside with any regularity. Science Hill and DB were suposed to wipe the floor with the rest of the big 9. Everybody was saying this is the weakest big 9 they have seen, and that is probably true. I think that the way it looks now you have Science Hill in a class by themselves, and their not anything to really brag about. The loss by Central to East makes DB look even worse rather than making East look better. Theres probably 4 teams in the big 9 that are better than DB right now.

the only players from east on that team playing now is dishner, and cross. the jr class at east now played agaist mary hughes in the championship games in middle school when cross was a 7th grader. so the next 2 years could be good for east if you consider the past!!! also central was suppose to beat east after all they were picked 2nd or 3rd, so db might have a fight on their hands friday night. the season in the big 9 looks to be interesting this year.