7-AAA 2008-2009

MidTennFootball

Who will 7-AAA  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who will 7-AAA

http://www.dnj.com/article/20090127/SPORTS.../1006COOKEVILLE ??” In a battle of the league??™s top two teams, it was Siegel who came away with District 7-AAA supremacy.

The Stars exploded for a 35-point fourth quarter to overcome a second-half deficit and held off Cookeville??™s last-ditch rally for an 82-80 win at Cookeville night.

Advertisement

http://pictopia.com/perl/galproc?provider_...ge=requests_xsl

The win keeps No. 9 Siegel (16-4, 9-0) unblemished in district play. Cookeville (18-6, 7-2), meanwhile, fell two games back and into a tie for second place with Oakland.

Sophomore Labrock Thomas led Siegel with 19 points ??”16 in the second half ??” while Kerry Hammonds and Marc Gooch added 18 points each for the Stars.

Cookeville was led by 32 points from senior guard Judah Akers who connected on six 3-pointers in the game.

Siegel appeared in control early, leading 21-14 at the end of the first quarter, and holding a 29-22 lead after Gooch??™s basket with 4:28 remaining in the half. Then Cookeville ripped off a 10-0 run to take a 32-29 advantage after Akers??™ third trey of the half with just over a minute remaining.

The Stars did have an answer, though, as Thomas??™ 3-pointer knotted the score at 32 heading into the locker room.

In the second half, Cookeville built as much as a six-point lead and lead by as many as five in the final period after Kyle Wylie??™s 3-pointer at the 5:04 mark, but that was when Siegel began its run.

Down 68-67, Thomas??™ 3-pointer at the 2:20 mark gave the Stars their first lead of the final period. Siegel forced three consecutive Cookeville turnovers to go on a 5-0 run after that to lead 75-68 with 1:12 remaining.

The Cavaliers had one last rally left in them, cutting the deficit to two with under a minute remaining, but the Stars hit 7-of-10 free throws down the stretch, including 4-of-4 by Gooch in the final minute.

Boys

Siegel 82, Cookeville 80

Siegel 21 11 15 35 ??” 82

Cookeville 14 18 21 27 ??” 80

Siegel (16-4, 9-0) ??” LaBrock Thomas 19, Kerry Hammonds 18, Marc Gooch 18, Levon Tate 10, T.J. Mitchell 7, Cedric Williams 5, Dominick Nicholas 5.

Cookeville (18-6, 7-2) ??” Judah Akers 32, Kyle Wylie 16, Mitchell Hill 13, Taylor Hennigan 9, Blake Houston 6, Blake Fitzpatrick 4.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, Ive seen a ton of bad officials, but tonights game tops it off. They were out for Siegel from the beggining, Siegel was playing 8 on 5 all night. Larry Moe and Curly need to be fired from TSSAA. They were ATROCIOUS. Late in the game Hammonds throws a guy off glass, cleanest play all night and they whistle him for a foul. Like they must have sight problems. Ive never been more outraged in a game ive been at since ive graduated. And TJ I know about Chaissons offers hes definately one of the best ever from the district, I just feel Keith had the most upside by far. And 85warrior, just to point out Mizzou>Trevecca

Talk, Talk, talk. I posted before this game that it would be close just for the mere fact that it is at Cookeville, the refs didnt have it out for Siegel as you like to think. Your the classic case of whats wrong with society these days, you tried to write a check that your boys couldnt cash and it almost bit you in the ***. You want to know why people hold a vendetta against Siegel, this is why. It always is something at fault, when you cant admit that maybe, just maybe the opposition was up to snuff.

siegelgrad, hilarious. talking about the refs instead of just giving the opposing team credit. Maybe they are better than you thought? or you aren't quite as good as you thought? ever think about those alternatives instead of just blaming refs for your hard fought win... nice call on double digits tho, lol /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> JK

OaklandPatriots, I agree with your entire post.

Before RC tries to retort, Id also like to say, I have absolutely nothing against Siegel. AM I envious of their talent? of course, I'd kill for kids like Kerry Hammonds at Oakland. When Oakland gets eliminated, i always root like heck for the rest of our district and region, but when you have these cocky posts declaring that Siegel is just going to waltz thru the district, when everyone knows its going to be a fight, makes it so tough to want Siegel to do well in the postseason

Been watching games in this district for more years than I care to count and regretfully as far as watching talented players go, this will be my last year in the current 7AAA. It would be hard to say who is the best to ever come out. Being a tried and true Sparta person, as far as great high school players who got the most of what they did it would be hard to argue with Jolly, Gribble and Austin. No matter how talented or how much success was enjoyed later, they took their teams to the peak of high school basketball. They all had great college careers at levels where they knew they would excel. All three scored over a 1000 points and started almost every game. Actually, Brent didn't start as a freshman at Tech, but was a key sixth man. Kyle could have probably gone higher than carson Newman, but elected to go somewhere that he could play both. it would have been scary to see what kind of numbers either of the three would have put up at a junior college.

Having said all that, through the years there have been some outstanding players. I would guess that everyone has their picks for best. The players who have the best post high school careers were not necessarily the best high school players. Ramsey was a good high school player. He may go farther than any other, but to do that he would have to make it in the NBA. I'm going to toss out a name for you young guys who have no idea about the history of this district. Remember a guy by the name of Sasha Danilovic. He was from Serbia and went on to make quite a name for himself in the NBA. He was an exchange student and played at Cookeville. Hard to argue with what he did in the NBA. Tim and Leon Corder were both great players. Gerald King, Matt Coble, Chaisson Allen, Ronnie Robinson. They were all great too. We will have to agree to disagree on who was the best. Picking an all time starting five in this district would be an exceptional team. No one will every agree on who it would be because we all are going to lean toward our personal favorites. I will just say, I have loved to get to watch these teams and talented players go at it on the court for the past 25 years.

Been watching games in this district for more years than I care to count and regretfully as far as watching talented players go, this will be my last year in the current 7AAA. It would be hard to say who is the best to ever come out. Being a tried and true Sparta person, as far as great high school players who got the most of what they did it would be hard to argue with Jolly, Gribble and Austin. No matter how talented or how much success was enjoyed later, they took their teams to the peak of high school basketball. They all had great college careers at levels where they knew they would excel. All three scored over a 1000 points and started almost every game. Actually, Brent didn't start as a freshman at Tech, but was a key sixth man. Kyle could have probably gone higher than carson Newman, but elected to go somewhere that he could play both. it would have been scary to see what kind of numbers either of the three would have put up at a junior college.

Having said all that, through the years there have been some outstanding players. I would guess that everyone has their picks for best. The players who have the best post high school careers were not necessarily the best high school players. Ramsey was a good high school player. He may go farther than any other, but to do that he would have to make it in the NBA. I'm going to toss out a name for you young guys who have no idea about the history of this district. Remember a guy by the name of Sasha Danilovic. He was from Serbia and went on to make quite a name for himself in the NBA. He was an exchange student and played at Cookeville. Hard to argue with what he did in the NBA. Tim and Leon Corder were both great players. Gerald King, Matt Coble, Chaisson Allen, Ronnie Robinson. They were all great too. We will have to agree to disagree on who was the best. Picking an all time starting five in this district would be an exceptional team. No one will every agree on who it would be because we all are going to lean toward our personal favorites. I will just say, I have loved to get to watch these teams and talented players go at it on the court for the past 25 years.

Very well said. This district has been a juggernaut, night in and night out for some time. It is my hope that my Patriots will continue to play Sparta, along with the other 3 teams that will be leaving 7-AAA. Its not going to feel right next year with a more bunched up district.

siegelgrad, hilarious. talking about the refs instead of just giving the opposing team credit. Maybe they are better than you thought? or you aren't quite as good as you thought? ever think about those alternatives instead of just blaming refs for your hard fought win... nice call on double digits tho, lol /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> JK

OaklandPatriots, I agree with your entire post.

I give all the credit to Cookeville for keeping it that close, but if you dont agree those refs were awful Im not sure we were at the same game. Haha and its ok for you Cookeville and Oakland fans, Siegel found a new STAR tonight in Labrock Thomas, stepping up in the 2nd quarter when neither ellis or nicholas could do anything to drop 19. AND I dont care what an Oakland fan who wasnt at the game says, Siegels 8th on the list of teams you want to cheer for, THOSE REFS WERE THE WORST. Im not in high school anymore, I still want Siegel to win but I do not care enough to really blame it on refs anymore, but I truely feel maybe not just our way, those were the worst refs I have seen. BY FAR. Maybe both ways. Cookeville is the best shooting team that Ive seen us go against all year. Congrats on the 2 point loss, those always hurt, I have seen those. Judah Akers has great numbers, but tonight Kerry Hammonds showed why he is district MVP with all his blocks, boards, assists and 18. But Judah is deinfately one of the best right now. Reminds me lots of Cutter. In a good way.

I give all the credit to Cookeville for keeping it that close, but if you dont agree those refs were awful Im not sure we were at the same game. Haha and its ok for you Cookeville and Oakland fans, Siegel found a new STAR tonight is Labrock Thomas, stepping up in the 2nd quarter when neither ellis or nicholas could do anything to drop 19. AND I dont care what an Oakland fan who wasnt at the game says, Siegels 8th on the list of teams you want to cheer for, THOSE REFS WERE THE WORST. Im not in high school anymore, I still want Siegel to win but I do not care enough to really blame it on refs anymore, but I truely feel maybe not just our way, those were the worst refs I have seen. BY FAR. Maybe both ways. Cookeville is the best shooting team that Ive seen us go against all year. Congrats on the 2 point loss, those always hurt, I have seen those. Judah Akers has great numbers, but tonight Kerry Hammonds showed why he is district MVP with all his blocks, boards, assists and 18. But Judah is deinfately one of the best right now. Reminds me lots of Cutter. In a good way.

I could scan over your posts from previous games and your previous screen name as well, and it could pretty much be a carbon copy. Your right your not in high school, but you act like a child. I dont have to be at the game, I know how you are and how you always love to deflect credit from the opposition.

I just gave them credit in that post. They exposed some weaknesses in Siegels game, but we fixed them and dropped 35 in the 4th quarter. But I know I have blamed losses on refs before(usually against Oakland because god knows I do not want to give them any credit for beating Siegel) but there were honestly some of the worst ones I have seen. Something about going into Cookeville the refs have just never been good in my memory. Bad both ways really.

His names Labrock Thomas, and the big man is The artist formally known as a starter at Riverdale at the beggining of the year Cedric Williams. I know cedric doesnt because he just recently joined the bright side. As for Labrock I had no idea he was on the team, but without him we dont win tonight so way to play hero tonight. I havent thought one person deserved a gameball more all year then him tonight. They definately knew our weaknesses with Nick and Devonte in the game. But I would say hes definately going to see more PT from now on. I apologize for trying to say the refs were out for us, but I am very proud of my stars, good game though, they fought threw deficits which is something hey are truely not use to. Cant win them all by double digits I guess. As for Cookeville where is Akers going to play. He can play ball.