Alcoa vs. CAK

Tornadofan15

Great game by CAK last night. 2 weeks to prepare and get healthy always works out well.

For CAK: Fromke is no Cates. Cates would have hung on to the ball and been sacked several times last night. Fromke did a great job to not put his team into third and forever too often last night. Only negative was missing some open receivers, that is where Cates had an advantage.

Blake Houser had a good game. If Brooksbank were healthy (I guess he will be back next week), they would be able to spread out the ball a little more and open up the running game some.

Ethan Poe and Adkisson both played really well.

Alcoa has issues at receiver right now. Somebody besides TRob has got to step up. D Robinson was in at receiver a lot last night, as was Isom and got no touches. AJ Young played sparingly. Sam got the ball a few times last night, but we have not seen the long ball threat that we all saw in the preseason. Alcoa is just not taking too many shots down the field.....yet.

Like in the Maryville game, when it was money time, Tyler had three people on him and the same thing happened last night.

My game ball goes to Cameron Foster for picking up a VERY tired Jaron Toney who played a heck of a game on defense, kickoff team, kick return team, punt team, punt return team.....you get the picture. He was on the field THE WHOLE GAME and Cameron stepped up like a Senior should.

And what an awesome intercep (insert whiste here) I mean, sack by Womac last night....I thought Ed Hochuli was working Dallas this week.

hey, GVK...You never know who you are standing next to.....do you??? /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

[/quote

Ill have to disagree with you on the alcoa has issues at wr and the deep threat thing. Alcoa has called a few deep balls this year and james just hasnt thrown the ball. I think the wr's are playing just fine. Its more to being a wr than catching a bunch of passes, especially in rankins offense where the run game is key. James is completing over 70% of his passes and has 11tds to 2 ints so someone is catching something. people are just used to seeing warren, lanxter and sommer make guys look silly. Its not texas tech, where they sling it all over the field. When you have two great wr's, in thompson and robinson, then can also throw to tyson out the backfield youre doing ok.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, GVK...You never know who you are standing next to.....do you??? /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

If our wires aren't crossed, you actually made the comment to my wife in front of you who passed it to me to your left. That is classified by the way... I wish I had known, I would have been honored to buy you a coke and a Back Yard Burger. I always enjoy your posts and the good natured humor. Next year, I'll try to look you up (and hook you up) with a great Alcoa burger.

I thought the major key to Alcoa's victory was their special teams especially their kicking game. All night long CAK either started on their own 20 due to kicks through the endzone. And several times they started within the 20 due to good punts. CAK's punt returner probably gave up close to a hundred yards of field position due to letting punts bounce instead of making a play. I don't care who you are no team is going to drive it 80-90+ yards on Alcoa's defense. CAK's only score came when they got the ball on their own 45 I believe.

Now correct me if I'm mistaken but haven't all three touchdowns scored on Alcoa this year were when they fumbled on their own 35 against Maryville. When Maryville started with the ball past their 40 yard line. And when CAK got the ball on their own 45 yard line. That shows how stout that Alcoa defense is. Also Alcoa's punt returners did a great job making plays putting them in great field position. I believe they almost returned one back which they ended up scoring off of plus another good return. All in all Alcoa was able to capitalize off this aspect of the game and CAK had the short end of the stick. But sometimes that is just the wall the ball bounces (pun intended).

I thought the major key to Alcoa's victory was their special teams especially their kicking game. All night long CAK either started on their own 20 due to kicks through the endzone. And several times they started within the 20 due to good punts. CAK's punt returner probably gave up close to a hundred yards of field position due to letting punts bounce instead of making a play. I don't care who you are no team is going to drive it 80-90+ yards on Alcoa's defense. CAK's only score came when they got the ball on their own 45 I believe.

Now correct me if I'm mistaken but haven't all three touchdowns scored on Alcoa this year were when they fumbled on their own 35 against Maryville. When Maryville started with the ball past their 40 yard line. And when CAK got the ball on their own 45 yard line. That shows how stout that Alcoa defense is. Also Alcoa's punt returners did a great job making plays putting them in great field position. I believe they almost returned one back which they ended up scoring off of plus another good return. All in all Alcoa was able to capitalize off this aspect of the game and CAK had the short end of the stick. But sometimes that is just the wall the ball bounces (pun intended).

When it comes to special teams and KIcking you gotta give it to my man Derrick Brodus , hes amazing , strong leg , he can boot it! watch for his in soccer this year if your a fan of Alcoa

When it comes to special teams and KIcking you gotta give it to my man Derrick Brodus , hes amazing , strong leg , he can boot it! watch for his in soccer this year if your a fan of Alcoa

Yeah I've heard he and Thompson are really good at soccer. I've heard they both have gotten some D1 looks for soccer, but I think both of their sports are football at the next level.

Yeah I've heard he and Thompson are really good at soccer. I've heard they both have gotten some D1 looks for soccer, but I think both of their sports are football at the next level.

Actually Brodus would rather play soccer in the next level , but yes they are both impressive , Brodus just made a FC Alliance Team and Sam recieved a scholarship offer from UCLA for soccer

If our wires aren't crossed, you actually made the comment to my wife in front of you who passed it to me to your left. That is classified by the way... I wish I had known, I would have been honored to buy you a coke and a Back Yard Burger. I always enjoy your posts and the good natured humor. Next year, I'll try to look you up (and hook you up) with a great Alcoa burger.

I suspected Bridge worked for the FBI or SWAT recon team with the way he comes up with all those photos and info. Now he can add inflitration to his resume. Sneaky....I like it! GVK, we'll have to launch our anti "double naught spy" operation, code name "NoPizzaTonight".

I suspected Bridge worked for the FBI or SWAT recon team with the way he comes up with all those photos and info. Now he can add inflitration to his resume. Sneaky....I like it! GVK, we'll have to launch our anti "double naught spy" operation, code name "NoPizzaTonight".

I'm in.

I will say regarding CAK that there is still plenty of work to do for this team to be the best they can be, but any question about how much fight this team has is answered. They could have picked many times in the game to give up and start slacking. They didn't. THAT, is all I can ask out of a team. They played hard all night with no turnovers and good discipline / few penalties.

I will point out a player that has really stepped it up this year. # 7 receiver, Moran, has turned in to one heck of a player. I have been watching closely over the last several weeks and he has taken his game to another level, paticularly after 81 Brooksbank went down. He may not be the fastest guy on the team, but he is fast enough and runs very precise routes. He consistently is able to get separation between himself and the defender. He is absolutely fearless over the middle. If the ball is where it can be caught, he catches it and holds on when he gets hit. He was open a number of times Friday that he was not thrown to due to pressure on the QB I'm sure. IMO, we need to be throwing to this kid more often.

I also think Fromke has become more confident and is playing better and better. If we get 81 back, I believe CAK will be able to play their best ball of the season these next several games, right when you need it. Cates did a great job last year, but if #10 had last year for starting experience look out.

In my opinion, big time stand out play by 67 going both ways. #1 and #92 played extremely well. 23 is on his way to being very special. Good coverage overall, great interception, and a couple of great hits and run support. Reminded me of Darrell Green on a play or two. His lack of experience hurt him on fielding punts but I suspect the coaching staff will take advantage of it as a learning opportunity. 21 made some great moves and played well as did 15. The OL did a very good job on pass protection against a great team. I know I'm leaving a bunch out, but these are a few that jumped out at me.

CAK needs to build on the great effort Friday and go play just as hard this Friday. If they do, I'm convinced good things will happen. Speaking for myself, I would like to see CAK get another crack at Loudon in the playoffs.

Be careful when you say "home-cooking" about CAK....they are very sensitive and "undefeated" at home.

Those ankle twisters play "very well" at home. You don't want to be called "sore losers" by their fans. At least you didn't have to see an injury list that looked like bad news out of Iraq from CAK.

All this potentially did is set up a return match at ALCOA.....that will be ugly!!!

Life is good....I always root for my team and whoever is playing CAK!!!!!!!!!!!

It would be just as ugly if not worse if they played your team bulldog69. I love how you have so much free time that you spend it on a high school message board writing in forums that don't even concern your team. Maybe that is your job or something. Anyways you can keep complaining about whatever comes on your mind. We don't really care one bit about what you say.

I'm in.

I will say regarding CAK that there is still plenty of work to do for this team to be the best they can be, but any question about how much fight this team has is answered. They could have picked many times in the game to give up and start slacking. They didn't. THAT, is all I can ask out of a team. They played hard all night with no turnovers and good discipline / few penalties.

I will point out a player that has really stepped it up this year. # 7 receiver, Moran, has turned in to one heck of a player. I have been watching closely over the last several weeks and he has taken his game to another level, paticularly after 81 Brooksbank went down. He may not be the fastest guy on the team, but he is fast enough and runs very precise routes. He consistently is able to get separation between himself and the defender. He is absolutely fearless over the middle. If the ball is where it can be caught, he catches it and holds on when he gets hit. He was open a number of times Friday that he was not thrown to due to pressure on the QB I'm sure. IMO, we need to be throwing to this kid more often.

I also think Fromke has become more confident and is playing better and better. If we get 81 back, I believe CAK will be able to play their best ball of the season these next several games, right when you need it. Cates did a great job last year, but if #10 had last year for starting experience look out.

In my opinion, big time stand out play by 67 going both ways. #1 and #92 played extremely well. 23 is on his way to being very special. Good coverage overall, great interception, and a couple of great hits and run support. Reminded me of Darrell Green on a play or two. His lack of experience hurt him on fielding punts but I suspect the coaching staff will take advantage of it as a learning opportunity. 21 made some great moves and played well as did 15. The OL did a very good job on pass protection against a great team. I know I'm leaving a bunch out, but these are a few that jumped out at me.

CAK needs to build on the great effort Friday and go play just as hard this Friday. If they do, I'm convinced good things will happen. Speaking for myself, I would like to see CAK get another crack at Loudon in the playoffs.

I always enjoy reading your posts Govolsknox, on the topic of 67 I'd like to know your opinion on players going both ways. Obviously when I had the privilege of playing we didnt have as many players as they do now but I always stand by the belief, and it was quite obvious that Gary Rankin and his staff do too, that you need your best players on the field at all times. I would love to see more of 1 on offense 23 on offense as well as maybe seeing 92 on the goal line. 9 on defense would make me a happy man too. I trust Coach Bradley and the staff, but that is my opinion and I would be curious to hear yours.