Halls@Powell

PhatCat

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try to answer your questions:

Powell has zero team speed. Nobody on the team runs better than a five flat.

They have no big play capability.

They'll turn the ball over every time they touch it, and when they don't they'll get a penalty called against them.

In fact, you guys may as well not even worry about game planning for Powell this week. You can go ahead and start scheming for Lenoir City. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Are you related to Ironman? If not i think Ironman has met his match.

Halls fact:

- Last year Dayton (7) and Kitts (16) combined for 23 TDs in 10 games.

- This year the team has 15 TD's total. Question - can we as a team score as many TD's as Dayton and Kitts did by themselves??

BTGOG -

- My point was not that to succeed a offense can't throw the ball, not even the Wing - T. My point is that THIS YEAR, when we throw the ball, bad things happen. I mentioned 7-10 passes, with a really good running game. Any more than that and we are in trouble.

- Side note - Don't write Central off yet. They may be better than you think - ie) Farragut, Cookville, and Maryville are pretty good football teams.

Halls fact:

- Side note - Don't write Central off yet. They may be better than you think - ie) Farragut, Cookville, and Maryville are pretty good football teams.

I don't know about that Ironman. Lenoir City outgained them on offense. I don't know how they can get outgained and win 41-0 but I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that LC is LC and they don't capitalize on long drives, ie:4th and goal from the 1-No touchdown, 3rd and goal from the one-Sack to the 11 and then a missed field goal. I say Central's playoff outlook is bleak at best.

Central are no were near as good as Halls. 23-6 any one.

Because our record stands at 2-5 doesn't mean we don't have a good football team. Central usually plays patsies like White Creek to pad their record the past few years, they usually stomp them check this years score they bearly beat them. Central is living off tradition sadly it didn't work in our minds this year and we beat them. If LC did out gain them yardage wise that was sad they lost by such a big amount. I think SD will beat Central this year.

Baseballmad, I think that you're correct that Central may not be as good as they have been in previous years, but the SD is an interesting one. SD has a huge dlineman that was a force in the Powell vs SD game. SD was very good up front and handled Powell's running game pretty well. Now PHS doesn't have the ground attact that the devils do, but Halls will definitely need to bring their A game if they are going to beat SD by pounding the football at them.

To this Friday's game. I really don't think anyone needs to bring up the records anymore. Powell is playing well, and Halls is much better then the record shows. Who cares? It's Halls vs. Powell; throw it all out. If my memory serves the last 3 times that halls has come to the North side of town they have suffered heart break in the 4th quarter. The 2002 season the Halls QB went down with a knee injury and Powell CB Josh Norman picked off the back up late in the fourth quarter to halt a would be game winning drive (i think) and preserve the victory. The 2004 season was the Hurricane Ivan game where Powell RB Jay Courtney caught a TD pass in a swamp of an endzone late in the fourth for the only score of the game. Then, most recently, the 2006 season where O'Connor shanked a PAT that would have forced overtime. Throw in last year's missed field goal in the 4th by Chris Ducharme, and the 2005 defensive stand on the final drive of the game, and you can see why I say the records simply don't matter.

Friday night should be interesting to say the least. If Powell can man up in the box like they did against AC then they have a real shot at winning this game. If Halls gets off on the ground it's going to be really tough for Powell to win this game. What does the secondary for Halls look like this year? If I remember correctly from last year, they like to play a lot of man coverage and not much zone. Was that only because they had Dayton and some good athletes last year? Is the QB still playing FS even after his injury against MHS in the opener?

Your right on top of it. People I have been talking to says SD won't be a pushover for us. In fact they have a very good defensive front as witnessed in last years game. If memory serves me correct we almost lost at SD if it wasn't for a long pass to Dayton from Dowdy we would have because our running went silent in second half. Kitts got injuried early and couldn't return and Waggoner couldn't get it going. I think SD will upset Central if you can call it a upset and they match up very well against us.

Powell and Halls are always a very interesting rivalry. For a while Powell always found a way to win in all those close encounters except for last year. I thought Powell outplayed us but our defense played in my opinion there best of the year and kept Houston and Jared Clemons at bay. For this to be close again our defense has to be inspired and aggresive. I can see Kahn having a influence on this outcome like O'conner did a couple of years back but getting better results. I expect Halls to run,run and run some more and run the clock to shorten the game. If we have to chase the game at halftime then we could be in trouble. The key is can our secondary handle Drummer & Collins and how much pressure can we exert on Houston? We will find out in a little over 48 hours.

If my memory is correct the home team has not won this game in the last 10 years. That be the best omen for the Devils. Now if we can continue to runit, throw some short passes a little bit an play some defense, we could win this game. Come to think of it, if we had done all three of those things, we could be 6-1 right now. Oh well, there is still some time left to get ready for the ride down Emery Road.

We won at home last year 10-7.

Powell won at home the year before 7-6.

But it will be close. This matchup for the last few years have been within seven points. Turnovers may be a key for us to turn this one.

If memory serves the only time the home team didn't win in this decade was Powell's 14 to 10 win at Halls in 2005. The home field has meant everything.

ZCAR - to answer a couple of your questions from earlier:

Powell team speed - good. Certainly better than it has been recently.

Big plays (50 yards or more) - I'm too lazy to go back over the entire season, but in the last couple of games: 4 against South-Doyle (1 run, 3 pass) and 1 against Anderson County (pass).

Powell turned the ball over some early in the year, but they have cut down on those in recent weeks.

Penalties - a few, but nothing one would consider "problematic", knocking on wood as I type.

All of that really means nothing, given the history of the series, and especially in this decade. The games are always close, always intense, and always entertaining. I don't think this year will be any different.