Week 7 big games in Memphis

kwc

I do not recall seeing anyone on any post saying Millington is a powerhouse. They have had a solid program over the last ten years but not enough to make a deep run until last year and then came up short. I don't think anyone has a dislike for cordova either and as a 7-5A fan we need more teams to be good because 8-5A is typically stronger so i want Cordova to have a good year. I see Millington fans talking up this years team as other schools do which is what this site is much about.

I know a little about the Cordova program and 10-12 kids signing every year sure has gone unnoticed by the media. I am sure that if one school had that many players signing every year it would be int the news and Just didn't see it. Furthermore, if that statement is true what does that say about your program and your coaching that you have that many college players and cannot produce any better results over the past few years.

As far as the player you referred to about going to you and the Cordova Staff for help to get into college. We both know who you are refferring to and he left us after his sophmore year and went to Cordova and then returned to millington for his Senior year. There was not the best relationship with the head coach in that situation. I am sure you have seen that transcript..... Oh, and what about that ACT score....... Those two things had a little something to do with him not getting into school and ending up in a JuCo.

As far as successful, neither have a state championship so if you want to compare programs go back to the 10 seasons previously mentioned and do the simple math and see who was more successful. Who has the most wins? Who has the most playoff appearances? Who has the most playoff wins? Who has the most wins head-to-head? I think you will find millington has been the better program since you guy have been a school.

I am not a coach just well informed

Acording to Murphy Fair--Tennessee's High School Football Magazine, Cordova High School has had more players receive college scholarships than any other school in the state over the past eight years. Granted they are not alot of Division I schoalrships, but the do have their share of D1 signess and they have currently have three former players in the NFL--which ties them with ten other schools for most kids in the NFL from a single program. What that tells me is that their coaches work extremely hard at finding college for their kids to attend after their high eligibility is completed. I'm sure the parents of these kids are not worried about what level their children play at, but the fact that their education is paid for is what matters. You can't argue with 82 scholarships in 8 years--www.cordovafootball.com--see for yourself. They have a great staff--all played college athletics--and they definitely care about their kids. I honestly have nothing against Millington, I know the Cordova staff likes Coach Hawkins quite a bit. I just don't like it when Cordova seems to never get any respect.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that one of Millingtons parents called the Cordova staff and asked for their help since the millington coaches weren't doing much for her son and that she said noticed that every year Cordova had 10 or 12 kids sign football scholarships. I know this because she got the head coaches number from me. I also know that another football player got zero help for football, but managed to sign at NEMCC for basketball after the Cordova coaches called on his behalf. Sounds like you are feeling guilty, you must be a coach . Again, the point is that NEITHER Cordova or millington is consider a state power, but for some reason millington fans like to believe that the recent success is par for the course and it is not, not by a long shot.

I'm still wondering why everyone has some much dislike for Cordova. Private tutors? You obviously haven't been around the Dirty 'Dova lately, there aren't many cars in the parking lot and there certainly is not an abundance of money in the school. If anything Millington and Cordova or more similar than most other county and city schools.

Cordova did make the playoff in 2007 because they beat Bartlett head to head and because of the Bolton situation.

I can't wait till week 10. It should be fun.

It's week 7 this week and these are the big games in Memphis in my opinion:

Whitehaven (8-5A) vs Houston (8-5A): Thursday, Oct 9 @ Whitehaven

Pick: Whitehaven

Millington (7-5A) vs Ridgeway (7-5A):@ Millington

Pick: Millington

Germantown (8-5A) vs Kirby (8-5A): @ Germantown

Pick: Germantown

CBHS (D2-2A West) vs Mitchell (8-3A): @ CBHS

Pick: Mitchell

That's it for me on the big games. If you have something to add, feel free to jump right in.

Whitehaven wins 19-6 ... 1 for me and three more to go. (very physical ballgame)

I agree with all, except this one game:

CBHS 35 -- Mitchell 20

------------------------------------------------------------

Mitchell is clearly about 2 notches below last year's team. They will be overmatched vs CBHS, and will come out on the losing end of yet another game vs stronger competition.....I suspect that this game will be the most entertaining of the four, however.

The rest of these games will be blowouts, as well:

1) Whitehaven by 18 over Houston

2) Millington by 28 over Ridgeway (shutout likely)

3) Germantown by 17 over Kirby

Final scores:

1) Mitchell 35 ......... CBHS 34 -- Super entertaining game. It was worth twice the price of admission!

Behind the explosive running from its big-time RB (#28), Mitchell jumped out to a shocking 27-7 halftime lead, then held on for dear life as CBHS used a resurgent running game & stiffer defense to storm back in the 2nd-half.... CBHS scored the potential game-tying TD with only 30 seconds or so remaining in the game. CBHS opted for a 2-pt conversion vs an extra point. It failed.

CBHS promptly recovered the ensuing onsides kick, at Mitchell's 45 yard line! CBHS quickly connected on a short "out" pass, to get down to Mitchell's 25 yard line. 15 seconds left.... CBHS later picked up a 5-yard penalty (illegal procedure), to get moved back to Mitchell's 30 yard line. 8 seconds left....

CBHS missed a 50-yard FG (it fell about 10 yards short), as the clock ticked down to 2.5 seconds.... Mitchell's ball. Game over.

Wow! Very exciting ballgame......

Note: Mitchell's RB #28 is a serious, serious D-I type, IMO. Big. Powerful. Fast. He was VERY impressive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question for Galilee, Kwc or anyone with knowledge: What's the full scoop on #28?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I predicted blowouts in all of the remaining games. Well, I was wrong on all accounts:

2) Whitehaven 19 ........ Houston 6 - This game was much closer than I ever expected.

3) Millington 28 ....... Ridgeway 19 -- This close score really raised my eyebrows! Millington appears to squeak by a very weak Ridgeway team! Millington fans, please weigh in with some details of this SURPRISINGLY competitive ballgame...........

Question: Did did game expose a chink in Millington's armour? Are they not as strong as last year?

4) Germantown 21 .... Kirby 19 -- This close game also surprised me. Obviouslythe return of Kirby's 5 or 6 suspended starters made a huge difference in Kirby's improved performance. It just wasn't enough.

Final scores:

1) Mitchell 35 ......... CBHS 34 -- Super entertaining game. It was worth twice the price of admission!

Behind the explosive running from its big-time RB (#28), Mitchell jumped out to a shocking 27-7 halftime lead, then held on for dear life as CBHS used a resurgent running game & stiffer defense to storm back in the 2nd-half.... CBHS scored the potential game-tying TD with only 30 seconds or so remaining in the game. CBHS opted for a 2-pt conversion vs an extra point. It failed.

CBHS promptly recovered the ensuing onsides kick, at Mitchell's 45 yard line! CBHS quickly connected on a short "out" pass, to get down to Mitchell's 25 yard line. 15 seconds left.... CBHS later picked up a 5-yard penalty (illegal procedure), to get moved back to Mitchell's 30 yard line. 8 seconds left....

CBHS missed a 50-yard FG (it fell about 10 yards short), as the clock ticked down to 2.5 seconds.... Mitchell's ball. Game over.

Wow! Very exciting ballgame......

Note: Mitchell's RB #28 is a serious, serious D-I type, IMO. Big. Powerful. Fast. He was VERY impressive.

Millington seemed to come out flat, and ridgway brought thier A game. Our secondary did not play well. However ridgway was pumped and we let them stay around which boosted thier confidence. As i have said before we are young and we will have some challenges. This may have made us stronger.

Question for Galilee, Kwc or anyone with knowledge: What's the full scoop on #28?

I predicted blowouts in all of the remaining games. Well, I was wrong on all accounts:

2) Whitehaven 19 ........ Houston 6 - This game was much closer than I ever expected.

3) Millington 28 ....... Ridgeway 19 -- This close score really raised my eyebrows! Millington appears to squeak by a very weak Ridgeway team! Millington fans, please weigh in with some details of this SURPRISINGLY competitive ballgame...........

Question: Did did game expose a chink in Millington's armour? Are they not as strong as last year?

4) Germantown 21 .... Kirby 19 -- This close game also surprised me. Obviouslythe return of Kirby's 5 or 6 suspended starters made a huge difference in Kirby's improved performance. It just wasn't enough.

Posted by Dou:

"Millington seemed to come out flat, and ridgway brought thier A game. Our secondary did not play well. However ridgway was pumped and we let them stay around which boosted thier confidence. As i have said before we are young and we will have some challenges. This may have made us stronger."

Dou, I must tell you--Given Millington's sub-par performance vs a weak Ridgeway team, Cordova suddenly doesn't look to be such a big an underdog to Millington anymore!

As a matter of fact, Cordova is probably now chomping at the bit (& more confident than ever) to get its crack at dethroning Millington, for the Region 7 crown.

man ill tell you what

the millington game was just a momentum game.

they [ridgeway] got the momentum first but ran lost it after letting us get a 1st after 4th and 5

when we got the momentum back, it fueled us.

the only thing that made me mad was ridgeway was able to run on us. that hb was very slippery.

i dont think ridgeway is a horrible team, they, like the raiders, have 4-5 good people in which they capitalized in.

on the plus side, the kicker for ridgeway was hilarious.

Ridgeway played well. Credit should be given to their kids and coaching staff. But, much like in the game with Craigmont, It was clear that Millington was the better team. With such a young team (Millington has over 20 plus sophmores on the roster), Millington has struggled to stay focused on each and every play. It looked as though they were very lethargic to start the game, especially on defense. Ridgeway's first play from scrimmage was a 80 yard TD pass that should have been picked off.

In the grand scheme of things It was nice to see Millington tested before the fast approaching playoffs. Hopefully this will help the team stay focused on each and every play regardless of the opponent.

Go Trojans!