Meigs Coaching

TigerTrainer

I talked to a former meigs player the other day, he said that most of Meigs athletes are not playing football that they would rather concentrate on basketball. I dont believe Ive ever heard of a really good mens basketball team from meigs county except for the ones with wilson and powell. And im sorry that just doesnt sound right coming from meigs, just dont seem like meigs has the tough kids they used to have. Anyone agree or disagree with that statement?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I talked to a former meigs player the other day, he said that most of Meigs athletes are not playing football that they would rather concentrate on basketball. I dont believe Ive ever heard of a really good mens basketball team from meigs county except for the ones with wilson and powell. And im sorry that just doesnt sound right coming from meigs, just dont seem like meigs has the tough kids they used to have. Anyone agree or disagree with that statement?

All small schools need to share athletes. I have posted before that Meigs has some athletic issues. Every school has hecklers so I dont read to much into the coaching complaints by parents. Meigs has had problems keeping coaches in all sports. Meigs will have problems with getting kids to play football as long as they have a rotating coaches door. Meigs BB coach has been there a while. They havent had a lot of success but they have had stability. All kids want stability. IMO Meigs has put less emphasis on football the last couple years, thus the issues. I wouldnt say the kids are not playing because they are not tough. I would blame it on the powers that be for not being able to retain a coaching staff , so the program can have some stability. Has anyone ever noticed how much emphasis is placed on a sport when an administrater has a kid involved? I have noticed since Robert Greene exited for Nashville things have went south. Meigs has lost several coaches since his departure and continues to lose them with the departure of Gene Davis.

It all starts at the top.

All small schools need to share athletes. I have posted before that Meigs has some athletic issues. Every school has hecklers so I dont read to much into the coaching complaints by parents. Meigs has had problems keeping coaches in all sports. Meigs will have problems with getting kids to play football as long as they have a rotating coaches door. Meigs BB coach has been there a while. They havent had a lot of success but they have had stability. All kids want stability. IMO Meigs has put less emphasis on football the last couple years, thus the issues. I wouldnt say the kids are not playing because they are not tough. I would blame it on the powers that be for not being able to retain a coaching staff , so the program can have some stability. Has anyone ever noticed how much emphasis is placed on a sport when an administrater has a kid involved? I have noticed since Robert Greene exited for Nashville things have went south. Meigs has lost several coaches since his departure and continues to lose them with the departure of Gene Davis.

It all starts at the top.

You may be on to something. Here is my estimate on just head coaches in the past 7 years and someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Football=3 head coaches BoysBB=1 head coach GirlsBB= 3 head coaches Baseball=3 head coach Softball= 2 head coaches

Now thats not counting assistants. Can anyone tell me if other schools have this many coaches in a short period of time?

You may be on to something. Here is my estimate on just head coaches in the past 7 years and someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Football=3 head coaches BoysBB=1 head coach GirlsBB= 3 head coaches Baseball=3 head coach Softball= 2 head coaches

Now thats not counting assistants. Can anyone tell me if other schools have this many coaches in a short period of time?

I just know that Meigs County has a proud program and community. They will bounce back. I know Coach eller is a good man and a good coach. I hate to see davis leaving. he teaches old-school football. I would like to see Coach Roger Webb back at Meigs. He devloped a solid baseball program and an unbelievable offense while he was there. I think he went to York where they go !3-1 in his 2nd year there.

Have no fear, I have your HC replacement. Coach Harris is a young guy, he is an ex-Tiger, played college ball, and he has a good mind for the game. His brother was one of the best lineman Meigs has ever seen. Both these boys were like rabid bulldogs on the field. If you want toughness and passion back in Decatur, look for the Harris boy!

Have no fear, I have your HC replacement. Coach Harris is a young guy, he is an ex-Tiger, played college ball, and he has a good mind for the game. His brother was one of the best lineman Meigs has ever seen. Both these boys were like rabid bulldogs on the field. If you want toughness and passion back in Decatur, look for the Harris boy!

Not sure how his brother would help him coach, but Josh Harris was a heck of a lineman. When that dude came at you all He@$ was coming with him. Zach was a QB/LB, he's got the heart. Are there any boys or supporters from this years team that have an idea if he is interested and/or if they think he could do it?

Big Boy Toys

Zach has been on the staff for 2 years and was the OC this past season. Zach should be our head coach in a few years.

Has anyone heard anything about a replacement for Coach D? Silence makes me nervous about the situation. Are we going to hire anyone or do away with another asst position? I hope the admin makes an announcement before the natives grow even more restless.

I would hope Eller comes into the spring and trains his team. As for the rest of the coaches they all know what they have to do in the weight room. I was not coached under harris. Are coach Greene and Holiday still there? In college I always heard about how we had the nastiest line (defense and offense). It is a shame coach Davis will resign. As a player I could not stand him, but the more i worked with him the more i understood him. Meigs might of had a bad year and they lost alot of talent. But from what i heard, didnt they Rayl to Central? They alot of depth over the past 2 years. Also didnt they have less than 40 players on the team?

Meigs County has always had talent, but some students in the school need to stand out and play and not quit or give up on them. I was told once "now a days, it is easy for somebody to quit or hit the 'reset' button." - Coach Martin. So meigs will rebuild and will become better over the next few years.