2009-2013 Classifications have been posted

PowerSweep

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tpoole...

I didn't see your post as stirring the pot. I have always appreciated your comments on here and think they are mostly accurate. My reply to your original post was to state that it is no longer really considered "open zone" as many people believe.

MHS

I'm going to be real quite as I got in trouble earlier. I would like to address the quote above for all the people living in Blount County. Both the Cities and our county school systems are in terrible straits. Maryville, Alcoa, Heritage and William Blount are at or over capacity. Even during the economic downturn that has swept our nation we here in East Tennesee have continued to grow. Although growth slowed somewhat we are still falling further behind. All our school systems must react quickly to the needs of the growing student populations. I don't have the numbers regarding the school growth projections but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see all the housing developments and conclude that we must increase our school infrastructure. This is where we start getting into money. The County doesn't have the funds at current tax rates. As for commercial growth in the county, the municipalities are annexing developing business areas to the point that "cherry picking" is obvious. The city can't afford to take on residential areas in their annexiation footprint because their school systems are to small. Something has to give and it will probably be the taxpayers.. This is just a random thought.. Hope I don't get in as much trouble as earlier but if Maryville is not an "open zone" then what is the criteria to get a tuition student into the system? It's not going to effect me but if I was parent wanting my child in or a parent of a child living in the city I would want to know. If the cities schools are full then any tuition student is effecting the quality of education that non tuition students receive. It doesn't matter if its one on one contact with the teacher or extra curricular opportunity.. it will have an effect...

tpoole12

Farragut =

How am I doing APB?

Very good Grasshopper.....

This is just a random thought.. Hope I don't get in as much trouble as earlier but if Maryville is not an "open zone" then what is the criteria to get a tuition student into the system?

Tea Pool ....my purse-sonnal crytearia fer gettin' intwo Mairvul and gettin' excellunt garbige servuss iz....

1. Whut iz yore 40 and shuttull time?

b. What ere yore banch press, incline, pair cleen numbers etc.?

c. How tall iz yore momma and daddy and do thay haiv athletick historries (good bloodlines)?

3. 4. Duz yore pappaw and mammaw haiv good size and speed?

5. Wood ewe bee moore enterested inn dubblin' yore county taxes (moovin' two tha city) orr wood ewe rathur pay twoishun?

6. Wood ewe ruther haiv yore garbige picked up at tha furst of tha weak orr later in tha weak?

g. Haiv yore favritt 4X4 pick-up cullers allways ben Red orr Black?

8. Duz legitimate safety isshoes like flags on poles, flags hung up wif wares, lazer pointers, and brangin' live animals two tha ballgaim rilly bother ewe?

eye. Duz playin' and practussin' footbawl bother ewe if 'un ewe haiv two put off huntin' seesun untill after tha furst weekend in Deecimbur?

10. Are ewe parshull two wearin' a lot of GOLD rings?

............... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

MHS

I'm going to be real quite as I got in trouble earlier. I would like to address the quote above for all the people living in Blount County. Both the Cities and our county school systems are in terrible straits. Maryville, Alcoa, Heritage and William Blount are at or over capacity. Even during the economic downturn that has swept our nation we here in East Tennesee have continued to grow. Although growth slowed somewhat we are still falling further behind. All our school systems must react quickly to the needs of the growing student populations. I don't have the numbers regarding the school growth projections but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see all the housing developments and conclude that we must increase our school infrastructure. This is where we start getting into money. The County doesn't have the funds at current tax rates. As for commercial growth in the county, the municipalities are annexing developing business areas to the point that "cherry picking" is obvious. The city can't afford to take on residential areas in their annexiation footprint because their school systems are to small. Something has to give and it will probably be the taxpayers.. This is just a random thought.. Hope I don't get in as much trouble as earlier but if Maryville is not an "open zone" then what is the criteria to get a tuition student into the system? It's not going to effect me but if I was parent wanting my child in or a parent of a child living in the city I would want to know. If the cities schools are full then any tuition student is effecting the quality of education that non tuition students receive. It doesn't matter if its one on one contact with the teacher or extra curricular opportunity.. it will have an effect...

tpoole12

I Concur...

Alcoa has almost 130-140 in each class, will not go up on tuition and are accepting way too many tuition students at the middle school. This has been a sticking point for me for a few years now when my kid came home from school one day and told me she didn't have a seat to sit in her class room. I was steaming.

Tea Pool ....my purse-sonnal crytearia fer gettin' intwo Mairvul and gettin' excellunt garbige servuss iz....

1. Whut iz yore 40 and shuttull time?

b. What ere yore banch press, incline, pair cleen numbers etc.?

c. How tall iz yore momma and daddy and do thay haiv athletick historries (good bloodlines)?

3. 4. Duz yore pappaw and mammaw haiv good size and speed?

5. Wood ewe bee moore enterested inn dubblin' yore county taxes (moovin' two tha city) orr wood ewe rathur pay twoishun?

6. Wood ewe ruther haiv yore garbige picked up at tha furst of tha weak orr later in tha weak?

g. Haiv yore favritt 4X4 pick-up cullers allways ben Red orr Black?

8. Duz legimate safety isshoes like flags on poles, flags hung up wif wares, lazer pointers, and brangin' live animals two tha ballgaim rilly bother ewe?

eye. Duz playin' and practussin' footbawl bother ewe if 'un ewe haiv two put off huntin' seesun untill after tha furst weekend in Deecimbur?

10. Are ewe parshull two wearin' a lot of GOLD rings?

............... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Guud un.......... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Alcoa has almost 130-140 in each class, will not go up on tuition and are accepting way too many tuition students at the middle school. This has been a sticking point for me for a few years now when my kid came home from school one day and told me she didn't have a seat to sit in her class room. I was steaming.

APB

I have a friend who has just built a house so he could have both of his kids at Alcoa.. It seems that although his oldest child was already in on tuition it was doubtful that his youngest would be admitted..

tpoole12

Cletus...Why change the format???

I'd be O.K. with leaving well enough alone, but if the concern is travel expenses and declining gates, I'm also fine with football districts mirroring the other sports. That's how it used to be before '93 when the TSSAA, trying to be Texas, gave us all these extra -- and in my opinion, needless -- classifications. As I stated before, there are certain rivalries in East TN 5A that I will miss, but there are some natural rivals (proximity, and intensity of all athletic matchups) that should play with more than just bragging rights on the line. So I view it as an acceptable tradeoff -- until they go and say there's a whole other set of rules for the playoffs with AAA being split into 5A and 6A. Makes no sense to me.

MHS

tpoole12

I agree.....

I am almost positive only priority 1(must take) and a few priority 2 students(See below)were accected this year. This is Maryville attempt to deal with the rapid growth that is plagueing all the schools....and the reason that I stated that they are no longer "open". There was a time that Maryville was "open" and Stars' criteria was probably used....no longer...I hope!

As far as criteria.... (I got this from the Maryville Website)

Policy:

Non-resident students may attend as tuition students in Maryville City Schools subject to the following rules and regulation:

(1) That space is available at the time of attendance and that said attendance will not cause that class in that grade in that school to exceed the maximum allowable enrollment set by the School Board.

(2) That the custodial parent or legal guardian of said tuition student agrees to provide transportation to and from said school during the term of tuition attendance.

(3) That tuition is paid at a rate approved by City Council by resolution and administered under the rules set by the School Board. Rates are subject to change, as approved by the School Board.

(4) That after meeting the above listed criteria, tuition students will be allowed to attend City of Maryville Schools based on the following priority:

Priority 1: Children of teachers in Maryville City Schools in accordance with state law.

Priority 2: Children of non-residents who own property in the City of Maryville

Priority 3: Children of non-residents employed by the City of Maryville

Priority 4: Children of non-residents who have siblings already in Maryville City Schools

Priority 5: All others

I agree.....

I am almost positive only priority 1(must take) and a few priority 2 students(See below)were accected this year. This is Maryville attempt to deal with the rapid growth that is plagueing all the schools....and the reason that I stated that they are no longer "open". There was a time that Maryville was "open" and Stars' criteria was probably used....no longer...I hope!

As far as criteria.... (I got this from the Maryville Website)

Policy:

Non-resident students may attend as tuition students in Maryville City Schools subject to the following rules and regulation:

(1) That space is available at the time of attendance and that said attendance will not cause that class in that grade in that school to exceed the maximum allowable enrollment set by the School Board.

(2) That the custodial parent or legal guardian of said tuition student agrees to provide transportation to and from said school during the term of tuition attendance.

(3) That tuition is paid at a rate approved by City Council by resolution and administered under the rules set by the School Board. Rates are subject to change, as approved by the School Board.

(4) That after meeting the above listed criteria, tuition students will be allowed to attend City of Maryville Schools based on the following priority:

Priority 1: Children of teachers in Maryville City Schools in accordance with state law.

Priority 2: Children of non-residents who own property in the City of Maryville

Priority 3: Children of non-residents employed by the City of Maryville

Priority 4: Children of non-residents who have siblings already in Maryville City Schools

Priority 5: All others

MHS

Good information...... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Now if you could explain to me how we are going to fund our growing schools I'll nominate, vote for, and finaically support your election efforts.....

tpoole12