Sullivan North 6-1 (3-1) at Sullivan South 7-0 (4-0)

kingsportfan

I can see Sullivan South winning by 14+, if not for any other reason than the Rebel passing game. I don't think Sullivan South will score 40+ points this week, due to Sullivan North's ability to run the ball and run the clock, not to mention a good run defense. This may be the first game since the Science Hill game that the Rebels starters play for four quarters.

What information can I offer about Sullivan North after watching them compete against Tennessee High and Elizabethon. After adjustments were made at halftime against the Vikings, the smash mouth running attack of Tennessee High was neutralized. For 44 of 48 minutes in the Elizabethton game, the speed of the Cyclone skills players was nonexistant. Now, Sullivan South's offensive machine is noted. The offensive line led by Hunter Beedle, Bradley Davenport, Taylor Fletcher, Kaleb Kitzmiller, Ashton Zanoni, and others work inside an offensive system that truely fits their skill set. To this point in conference play, it seems no defense has continuously challenged the Rebels during the first half.

I do not expect the Raider defense to contain the Rebel offense, but I do expect them to slow their pace and contain the big play. If the Greeneville defense is a measuring stick, after watching the Greene Devils play, I would say the Sullivan North defense is better in comparison. What does that mean? Anything I try to draw from that is personal conjecture, but I will be interested to see who steps up in this game for the Rebels as one or two of the big three will likely be slowed down. One thing I will say with certainty, this will be the best run defense the Rebels have faced all year.

The Raiders play up a notch or two when they battle their county cousins. Don't forget that one of North's best defensive players was suspended for the THS game and the Vikings still got very few first downs after halftime. North's deal will be to shorten the game. South will win but I do think their starters will play 4 quarters. They need to.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Raiders play up a notch or two when they battle their county cousins. Don't forget that one of North's best defensive players was suspended for the THS game and the Vikings still got very few first downs after halftime. North's deal will be to shorten the game. South will win but I do think their starters will play 4 quarters. They need to.

Don't forget that TN High can't throw the ball other than 5 yard passes. North won't be able to keep 9 guys in the box against South.

This will be a hard hitting game friday. North is capable of winning, if South doesn't play good, but South should win. This will the first tough game for South, since they played Greeneville. North is banged up right now with Sterling Throp out until the start of the playoffs, and Matt Washington getting hurt last friday. South has the best offense in the conference, and North has one of the best defenses in the area. So, we will find out soon if North can slow down the mighty rebels in their rivalry game. This is North's best chance in beating South in the previous years. This will be the best game in the area friday night.

South by 14 /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I agree with you only if North can play ball control. If Rebels stop their ground game (and I think they will), South will win by 21 -----or 51 /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

Hey, where is Sportsfanforever-----did you see Hubbard go in at OLB Friday night ?? and I believe it was in the first wave of JV players injected into the game-------I guess my predictions for 2009 are slightly ahead of schedule. That's one for me. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

No, I'm not related to Hubbard.

I agree with you only if North can play ball control. If Rebels stop their ground game (and I think they will), South will win by 21 -----or 51 /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

Hey, where is Sportsfanforever-----did you see Hubbard go in at OLB Friday night ?? and I believe it was in the first wave of JV players injected into the game-------I guess my predictions for 2009 are slightly ahead of schedule. That's one for me. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

No, I'm not related to Hubbard.

We are going to have to start getting some stops in the running game to keep North from holding the ball for 8 or 9 minutes like Boone did to us that first drive. I watched the TN High-North game and TN High had open receivers each time they decided to pass. I just don't believe North will be able to stop South all night long. There is going to be a lot of one on one coverage all over the field and then you have to take into account Davenport running as well. Does anyone know how many of North's players have to play both ways? Fatigue could come into play later in the game. I still believe that was a big part of the comeback against TN High. Watterson was out last week against East, will he be back this week? Also, does anyone know if the South cornerback just lost the ball in the lights or what happened on the East touchdown?

We are going to have to start getting some stops in the running game to keep North from holding the ball for 8 or 9 minutes like Boone did to us that first drive. I watched the TN High-North game and TN High had open receivers each time they decided to pass. I just don't believe North will be able to stop South all night long. There is going to be a lot of one on one coverage all over the field and then you have to take into account Davenport running as well. Does anyone know how many of North's players have to play both ways? Fatigue could come into play later in the game. I still believe that was a big part of the comeback against TN High. Watterson was out last week against East, will he be back this week? Also, does anyone know if the South cornerback just lost the ball in the lights or what happened on the East touchdown?

North has alot of two way starters, but so does South. North shouldn't get fatigue to easy, their starters had to play the entire ballgame the past two weeks. They should be in good shape by now, but then again the past couple of weeks might be taking a toll on them. South does have the most explosive offense in the league, but their two way starters could get tired, if they half to be on the field for long periods of time on defense.

North has alot of two way starters, but so does South. North shouldn't get fatigue to easy, their starters had to play the entire ballgame the past two weeks. They should be in good shape by now, but then again the past couple of weeks might be taking a toll on them. South does have the most explosive offense in the league, but their two way starters could get tired, if they half to be on the field for long periods of time on defense.

Well, to respond to you and Wildcat--------Seth Watterson's prognosis was that he would probably be back for this game (shoulder injury), but we'll have to wait and see what how he does in practice this week.

The factors for this game make for interesting debate. If North comes with "what brought them" they'll line up in the double Wing-T and run inside, pretty much the same thing that East tried to do. It didn't work. In my opinion, this is the strength of the Rebel Defense. Ahhh, one might argue that our defense has given up early touchdowns in every game, but I'll remind you that our rushing defense has given up only 132 yds per game and much of that has been OUTSIDE---and 5 out of 7 games we've had our J.V. in the entire 2nd half.. East's offense was stymied. I know that North is NOT East.

NOW---North's defense has only allowed 102 yds/game rushing, but they have not had to spread the defense and guard against 4 wideouts, then adjust to a 2 running back scheme, then adjust to TE sets (with 2 of the best blocking TEs in the league). They haven't had to tackle Fletcher. They haven't had to divide their defense to protect against the varied weapons that this Off brings (Davenport, Fletcher, Taylor, Kitz, Watterson, ZZZZZZ-noni).

Regarding North's defense being on the field a long time and getting fatigued---that's interesting, because South's offense is a quick scoring machine, so North's defense may not (if South lives up to it's usual) be on the field for any lengthy period of time, at one time. In fact, this is probably the most intriguing part of this game----it's going to be a problem if South zips down the field to the red-zone and then can't score, and then North simply moves the chains with 4 yds a clip, and chews up the clock.-------------I'm not bragging or trying to insult the Northerners---but I don't know how you deal with this offense. I hope no one gets hurt. If North can hang, then I'll be the first to congratulate them and eat a heavy plate of CROW.

Oh, South has only 5, 2-way starters--------Kitz, ZZZZ, Beedle, Blanken and Garvin. ZZZ plays limited time on Def. and Garvin plays limited time on Off.

Who are the 2-way players for NOrth??

Oh, South has only 5, 2-way starters--------Kitz, ZZZZ, Beedle, Blanken and Garvin. ZZZ plays limited time on Def. and Garvin plays limited time on Off.

Who are the 2-way players for NOrth??

I knew of KK, Beedle, and Garvin. There is one play, in particular, that I have yet to see run this year that we ran against TN High last year. We had a touchdown but Curt overthrew the receiver. Maybe we'll bring that one back out this week. Another question I have. Why did CP not play against East? Injury or other?

I knew of KK, Beedle, and Garvin. There is one play, in particular, that I have yet to see run this year that we ran against TN High last year. We had a touchdown but Curt overthrew the receiver. Maybe we'll bring that one back out this week. Another question I have. Why did CP not play against East? Injury or other?

I heard that CP had been sick last week. Also I did not see KK on defense at East last week. Maybe I missed him coming in, however I saw a lot of new faces that normally do not play defense at LB and CB. Anyone else see that?

I heard that CP had been sick last week. Also I did not see KK on defense at East last week. Maybe I missed him coming in, however I saw a lot of new faces that normally do not play defense at LB and CB. Anyone else see that?

I think we saw a little of everybody. Like I said last week, I'll be glad the East game is over so we can finally watch some good games. It should be interesting the rest of the way.