Parents & their tendancy to show poor judgement

OLD PIRATE

I think it would be appropriate to call out these parents by name and point out every comment they make so they could experience the bashing these coaches and their family take at their miserable expence. Just give me the ok and i'll get the party started. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be appropriate to call out these parents by name and point out every comment they make so they could experience the bashing these coaches and their family take at their miserable expence. Just give me the ok and i'll get the party started. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

years ago we had a parent that was telling all the other railbirds at practice, that "his son whips starters all the time in drills but that coach wouldn't let him start"(this was all a gross fabrication of his son's ability and the guy, while nice, was in no way starter material). when coach heard about it a few days later, he made the parent come out on the field and apologize to the team after practice for running his trap. still one of the funniest things i've ever seen.

The game I was at Friday had a "rail bird" yelling about his boy coming off of defense. Seems that he thought the boy should stay in because he was making tackles. Yes he was making tackles 5 and 6 yards down field. Not too good for a LBer. What the rail bird failed to realize was that the last tackle his boy had made was inside the 10 yard line and the coach put in a goalline package. Parents seem to focus on one player and not the whole team.

"Can't see the forest for the trees."

We've always had a rule with our boys: Once we drop them off at the field, they're the coaches' boys. We've had the good fortune to have had excellent coaches since our boys were old enough to play. The times that our boys have complained about something that happened in football, we've always told them that they needed to talk to the coach. They learned very quickly that talking to the coaches on their behalf was not something we would do.

One time my son was getting chewed out at a game (I think he was around 9 at the time), and I had a parent come up to me and ask if that was my son getting yelled at, and then she proceeded to say that if she were me she'd talk to the coach after the game. That flew all over me. I told her that if my son was doing something wrong, he'd better get yelled at so that he wouldn't get hurt. I think parents forget how dangerous this game can be. I've said many times that if my boy doesn't know the right way to do things, he'd better be on the sideline until he can do it without getting hurt.

Are there politics in this game? You betcha. But, that's life...deal with it.

We've always had a rule with our boys: Once we drop them off at the field, they're the coaches' boys. We've had the good fortune to have had excellent coaches since our boys were old enough to play. The times that our boys have complained about something that happened in football, we've always told them that they needed to talk to the coach. They learned very quickly that talking to the coaches on their behalf was not something we would do.

One time my son was getting chewed out at a game (I think he was around 9 at the time), and I had a parent come up to me and ask if that was my son getting yelled at, and then she proceeded to say that if she were me she'd talk to the coach after the game. That flew all over me. I told her that if my son was doing something wrong, he'd better get yelled at so that he wouldn't get hurt. I think parents forget how dangerous this game can be. I've said many times that if my boy doesn't know the right way to do things, he'd better be on the sideline until he can do it without getting hurt.

Great post and attitude toward the game! /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Good post.....I could get along with you. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Please ENLIGHTEN us about the "other side".....have I seen kids who are qualified and haven't gotten to play because of so called "politics".....yes it happens, BUT 98% of the time all I hear are parents whining.....usually parents trying to boost their own egos and dreams through their kids. I have seen talented kids quit sports because of their overzealous, ridiculous parents. Nothin wrong with asking a coach what your kid can do to improve.....something wrong with demanding your kid get to play. Of course no one enjoys seeing their kid hurt.....but if you DO NOT prepare them for life's disappointments and make excuses for everything they do or DON"T get to do.......what favor are you doing them?????? I'll be darn if I sent my kid out in the world a whiner who expects everything to be given to them.

Well Said.

Please ENLIGHTEN us about the "other side".....have I seen kids who are qualified and haven't gotten to play because of so called "politics".....yes it happens, BUT 98% of the time all I hear are parents whining.....usually parents trying to boost their own egos and dreams through their kids. I have seen talented kids quit sports because of their overzealous, ridiculous parents. Nothin wrong with asking a coach what your kid can do to improve.....something wrong with demanding your kid get to play. Of course no one enjoys seeing their kid hurt.....but if you DO NOT prepare them for life's disappointments and make excuses for everything they do or DON"T get to do.......what favor are you doing them?????? I'll be darn if I sent my kid out in the world a whiner who expects everything to be given to them.

Now this is a mom all can or should respect. Old Pirate heard about a recent situation @ SP Jr high in which a mom chewed the head coach out because her son failed to get 1 of the 2 MVPs for the championship game in which the SP coaches had no input. SP had just completed a 3rd straight undefeated season and has only lost 1 game in the last 5 yrs. The result.......... is the reported forth coming resignation of 75 % of the coaching staff ,who simply has had enough. The coaches were unable to enjoy the historic victory because some little Johnny failed to get to play, or failed to get to run the ball or failed to get this or that.

OP suggests sitting a table at the games for tips / donations to aid in paying for the moving vans these folks need to get out of town. OP likes the idea of confronting these folks and trashing them. OP has yet to see them folks posting on this thread, yep.......................... says alot about their class.

Thanks a million OP for starting this, I hope some "well-meaning" multi-posting parents take time to read this and have their eyes opened. Many a kid's sports career have been cut short or made miserable by such parents.

I've witnessed it.

As a single mother I hoped my son's coach's would be a good role model and wasn't displeased at all, but that was years ago. Hopefully the same can be said for todays coaches at all levels.

As for parents who want their kids playing regardless, a life lived thru your child doesn't do a thing for either of you but bring on misery.

Oh, and might I add ..

Go Tigers !!!

I am late to this thread so forgive me if I say something that has already been mentioned. If you wonder why more and more players have poor attitudes, look no further than the stands. When these kids get home after games and all they hear is how terrible the coaches are, they never have to take responsibility for their actions. Most coaches will take the blame for a loss and give the kids credit for the wins, but in the end kids have to take responsibility also. Every parent thinks their little johnny is a superstar, but if he is not playing there is probably a very good reason.

One thing I have learned in coaching is to tell the parent up front whatever you kids get they earned it. everybody is not going to start and everybody is not going to play and if you dont like it take your kids elsewhere. it sounds ahrsh but I think a lot of parents respect a coach more when they know befoer hand hey its a possibility that my kid may not play. you still have the wackos out there that think there kids is the next MJ or the next Bo Jackson but it is what it is