MBA-Ryan Classic Rivalry

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Orleans injury is a sprained MCL and I am not sure how many weeks he will be out but its probably 2-4 weeks for a mild sprain or 6-8 weeks if it was a bad sprain.

But as for MBA vs. Ryan Rivalry game, it may not be as intense off the field as far has hype and trash talk. But on the field it is a very physical game still and Ryan still does enjoy hitting or grabbing male private parts /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> All kidding aside Coach Mcgugin knows how important this game is to the alumni, since he is one, he will make sure MBA is extra focused this week and plays well on Friday.

I think Ryan still thinks of MBA as their number 1 rival and still feels that they have had a game or two "stolen" from them by questionable referee calls (e.g., phantom holding call by the back judge on a Ryan TD that might have cost them the game 2 years ago.)

That being said, I have heard Ryan kids basically say they dread playing BA and MBA. They need to beat one or the other to renew a true rivalry. Remember what Gerry DiNardo said about the UT-Vandy rivalry?

I remember watching that game online 2 years ago. It was a huge penalty on FRHS (amidst our losing season) that took away what could have been the game winning TD. Who knows if it was a phantom call or not, but regardless, it took a lot of guts for the ref to throw that flag. The ryan qb threw an int on the next play, if memory serves.

As I wrote last year, the call that was conveniently forgotten, was that MBA had a game-clinching run on 3rd and short at mid field that would have iced the game and allowed us to run out the clock and preserve the win. But we got flagged for holding, so now we have 3rd and 13. I asked at the time--how can you call holding on a short running play up the middle like that? Very unlikely that there was a hold in that case. We didn't convert and had to punt it back to Ryan, who quickly moved the ball down the field before the qb threw another int.

It's interesting to me how intense the Baylor McCallie rivalry remains, even as McCallie has dominated it every bit as much as we've dominated Ryan. The dynamics are different in Chattanooga, but regardless that rivalry is really impressive.

I really do think MBA-EHS will in time overshadow both MBA-BA and MBA-FRHS.

I remember watching that game online 2 years ago. It was a huge penalty on FRHS (amidst our losing season) that took away what could have been the game winning TD. Who knows if it was a phantom call or not, but regardless, it took a lot of guts for the ref to throw that flag. The ryan qb threw an int on the next play, if memory serves.

As I wrote last year, the call that was conveniently forgotten, was that MBA had a game-clinching run on 3rd and short at mid field that would have iced the game and allowed us to run out the clock and preserve the win. But we got flagged for holding, so now we have 3rd and 13. I asked at the time--how can you call holding on a short running play up the middle like that? Very unlikely that there was a hold in that case. We didn't convert and had to punt it back to Ryan, who quickly moved the ball down the field before the qb threw another int.

It's interesting to me how intense the Baylor McCallie rivalry remains, even as McCallie has dominated it every bit as much as we've dominated Ryan. The dynamics are different in Chattanooga, but regardless that rivalry is really impressive.

I really do think MBA-EHS will in time overshadow both MBA-BA and MBA-FRHS.

When Tennessee went to 5 classifications, MBA went to 5A, and Ryan only went to 4A. There were two seasons where they didn't play ('95-'96, as verified by RRR's HSFD). This was the two year period that MBA lost to BA in the play-offs in back to back years, with one of them being the epic double OT game. That combination of things probably has as much to do with the state of the rivalry as anything else.

When Tennessee went to 5 classifications, MBA went to 5A, and Ryan only went to 4A. There were two seasons where they didn't play ('95-'96, as verified by RRR's HSFD). This was the two year period that MBA lost to BA in the play-offs in back to back years, with one of them being the epic double OT game. That combination of things probably has as much to do with the state of the rivalry as anything else.

MBA did play Ryan in '95 and '96, however, it was only for a half as part of a jamboree at MBA. I think we beat them 7-0 one year and tied 0-0 the other year. Also, Ryan was 5A in '93 and '94 and chose to drop down to 4A starting in '95. I remember the disapointment we had not being able to play our biggest rival in a real game anymore. I remember people giving Ryan a lot of flack for dropping down too. Ryan's drop to 4A and the games with BA that you mention were the beginning of the decline of this rivalry.

Having said all that, I still get fired up for Ryan week and hope that the Big Red will take it to the Irish.

P.S. - KWoodroof, glad to see that some people still remember that 2OT game.

MBA did play Ryan in '95 and '96, however, it was only for a half as part of a jamboree at MBA. I think we beat them 7-0 one year and tied 0-0 the other year. Also, Ryan was 5A in '93 and '94 and chose to drop down to 4A starting in '95. I remember the disapointment we had not being able to play our biggest rival in a real game anymore. I remember people giving Ryan a lot of flack for dropping down too. Ryan's drop to 4A and the games with BA that you mention were the beginning of the decline of this rivalry.

Having said all that, I still get fired up for Ryan week and hope that the Big Red will take it to the Irish.

I have a deep respect for what Ryan does as a Catholic school, but I despise their football team in a way that is difficult to fathom unless you've lost a game on a kick-off return with 2 minutes left: ask the lads at Ryan 30 years from now what they remember of last Friday's Ensworth game.

If MBA had a 49-0 lead with four minutes left in the game, my concern would be the judicious use of our timeouts.

I remember that 2OT game. My wife drug me to a chick flick instead of going to the game. We ran into Will B's parents in a restuarant after the game and found out the outcome. I don't think I spoke to my wife the rest of the evening,, and I haven't missed an important in town MBA game since.

Common misconception about this rivalry is that people only relate it to football.

These people have not been to a wrestling match or basketball game between both schools recently. The rivalry is alive and high no doubt. Football is not the only sport this rivalry takes part of. Remember that!