7AAA

spartaman

Cookeville beat Shelbyville Tonite, 40-35.

Blackman beat Riverdale 63-51 0r 61-51 as a last second basket could not be asertained whether it counted or not irregardless Blackman beat Riverdale to get in the finals of region 4 against cookeville.

Rutherford wound up with three schools vieing for a substate matchup with the matches Wednesday nite as Smyrna won their game tonite and in an upset a game heard around the state had Lavergne beating Wilson Central and putting out the Wilson county team.

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good game tonight by blackman it was just like the first time we played them we couldnt hit anything and they hit everything however this time it was their whole team hitting everything we got outplayed tonight and blackman deserved this game

you beat a team by 40 1 week and they advance lose to them by 10 the next week and you are out thats tournament basketball...it wa a great crowd in the gym tonight and both teams played hard but we came up on the short end...I know our girls are very disappointed and understandably so but I am very proud of these girls and the season they have had the good thing all of our top 8 players returns next year so we will be back and better...

while my team lost tonight the atmosphere was great and it was a lot of fun there were several complaingin about the officiating but i thought it was consistant on both side and they had no effect on the game it was us not hitting some layups and in the second half i would love to see what blackmans shooting percentage was...

I do have 1 question...why were we the visitors and wearing red instead of the white and being the home team on the scoreboard? and sitting on the wrong side of the bench?

First off congrats ladies! Way to represent Blackman!

So was there a lot of students for Blackman? I know Strickland was on a mission this morning to get tons of students there. Unfortunately I was unable to go because our spring musical is coming up and we had a freakin marathon rehearsal tonight.

Good Luck Wednesday Night!

GO BLAZE!

Way to go Lady Blaze! What a great game. They finally put the 4 quarters together that I knew they had in them. I said earlier that my heart had me picking you by 2 in OT. My heart doesn't count. What counts is YOUR heart which is what we have seen these past two games. A definite not to the Lady Warriors. A great team that I thought came out a little cold. Not the way you wanted it to end, but you had a great season. I do wish a few of you were graduating.

Just as we have kept the phrase about "getting off the bus", for those certian Blackman Faithful "Nanner Nanner"

...I do have 1 question...why were we the visitors and wearing red instead of the white and being the home team on the scoreboard? and sitting on the wrong side of the bench?

I was confused as well. I just assumed that CM gave a nod to Blackman being at home and deferred on that basis. Just a guess though.

Well here we are and the games are over and Blackman carried out a Cinderella Story and tonite beat Riverdale 63-51. And before you ask, Riverdale shot a paultry 27% and you can't win many like that with that percentage. Blackman Shot 48% and deserved to win but made a lot of layups on Riverdales Defense. Riverdale missed a lot of layups and made Riverdale's less accurate shooters for the night take most of the shots. The thing most obvious was haislip got 1 point as anytime she got the ball there were many Blackman defense people around her. I guess the way Blackman has played the last two weeks, the win was fitting. They workedhard and scored ore points and kept Riverdale with less and thats how you determine a winner. the Scoring went like this:

Riverdale 51

Azore2

Barbee 7

Haislip 1

Henry 4

jernigan 3

lanning 11

orman 18

Blackman

Baily 4

Campbell 17

hall 3

Norris 12

Nowlin 19

Overton 4

Smith 4

Orman played a great game as she and Lanning scored in double digits with lanning getting 11. Kelsey Nowlin played

as if no one was guarding her and everytime Riverdale got close here came Miss Kelsey with another 2 points. She and Campbell and Norris and for that whole team must have ridden to the game in cars because they were ready to play offense and defense. it was Blackman'snight.

Spurlock 11

Two other Rutherford teams got to the substate tonight with the loss of one of the participants causing reverbrations throughout the State when Wilson Central was beaten by lavergne with a great effort by Jefferson and myers who scored in double digits with Jefferson carrying lavergne with 21 points. Jasmine Hassell and wasson had 16 points each but it was not enough as Lavergne won 51-49. Smyrna beat Clarksville 65-49.

In an earlier game in 7AAA Cookeville beat Shelbyville 40-35 and played a great defensive game. The staqts are as follows:

cookeville

Barnes 2

Brooks 13

helton 9

Johnson 12

Odle 2

Shelbyville

Bisham 2

Dawson 8

Graves 3

Phelps 7

Scott 2

Smith 13.

In a night filled with upsets all over the mid state, the #1 ranked team in the Mid STate marshall County got beat by Hume Fogg by one point and again stunned AA fans all over the state as they had been favorites to win the AA state. Thats it and we'll have some more news tomorrow.

In one of the most brutal regional semi nights for top teams losing in the history of Tennessee Womens Basletball, the guard evidently has changed and the new guard is moving in to almost assure a different face of State Championship entrants. And with that face, its not over with yet because the substate is ahead.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 , 1:12 a.m. Tennessee: Lady Mustangs, Lady Jets prevail

By: Kelley Smiddie

(Contact)

CLEVELAND, Tenn. ??” First it was by five. Next it was by seven. Then it was by eight.

As the first three quarters went by in Monday??™s Region 3-AAA high school girls??™ semifinal between Walker Valley and Bradley Central, the Lady Mustangs outscored the Bearettes a little more each time. By the time Bradley gained a slight scoring edge in the fourth quarter, Walker Valley had all but sealed its 61-43 victory at Cleveland High.

Cumberland County earlier defeated Cleveland 73-67 and will play Walker Valley (28-3) for the region championship Wednesday at 7 p.m. Each has already secured a berth in Saturday??™s state sectional round.

The boys??™ semifinals are tonight with Red Bank facing Ooltewah at 6 and Cleveland playing Walker Valley at 7:30.

Brooke Hamby??™s drive down the lane for a layup put Walker Valley ahead for good at 5-3, as it turned out. She paced the Lady Mustangs with 22 points, including two long 3-point goals. Lacey Allen had three 3s and 11 points.

After trailing by 22 in the third quarter, Bradley scored the first four points of the fourth quarter and was within 46-30, but Kacy Brownfield made a 3 when the Lady Mustangs inbounded underneath coming out of a timeout, and they were back in control.

???We started warming up a little bit,??? said Walker Valley coach David Tucker, whose team scored 12, 15 and 19 in the first three quarters. ???Then Brooke just kind of took over when things were tight. We??™ve got shooters, and they can shoot it. We play eight. That??™s pretty good depth. We were able to put a lot of pressure on them.???

Reserve Ali Moreland also chipped in with a 3-point goal and totaled nine points. Laura Whitehead and Kayla Sewell grabbed nine rebounds each, and Allen sparked the defense with five steals.

Lee University signee Katie Davis led Bradley with 16 points before fouling out late. Tennessee Tech signee Haley Ervin, Katlyn Eldridge and Lyndsey Maples round out the senior class that leaves having won 91 games. Coach Bryan Glasner said he??™s been blessed with good parental support.

???We??™ve had a lot of ups and downs on and off the floor,??? Glasner said. ???I thought the girls in the second half of the season played together as a group and a team. They showed a lot of character when people counted them out. We were just inconsistent at times. It was not for lack of effort.???

Cleveland led 18-8 and was up 23-16 at the end of the first quarter on the strength of eight fastbreak layups.

The Lady Jets (20-12) then not only shot their way back into the game but into the lead at halftime. All six field goals in the second quarter for Cumberland County were 3-pointers. Three were by Taylor Williams, who had made a four-point play in the first quarter.

???In the second quarter we started sending two back,??? Cumberland coach Josh Epperson said. ???Most people don??™t fastbreak like that against us. They were sending two or three out every time. And our depth helped us, and it hurt them.

???We also made a big adjustment in our man-to-man offense, and that got us some open looks. You??™ve also got to take advantage when you get them.???

The Lady Raiders led 51-47 at third quarter??™s end. Brandi Green??™s rebound basket that made it 60-58 provided the lead for good, and 7-for-10 free-throw shooting in the last 56 seconds allowed the Lady Jets to protect their advantage.

Williams made 11 of 14 free throws and led Cumberland with 27 points. Mandy Moss scored 10 in the fourth quarter and ended with 21.

Jessica King??™s 20 points led Cleveland (23-8). Heather Finnell added 16 and Q??™Schara Brown had 14.

Cleveland coach Rachel Moore said despite injuries and defections late in the season that left her with nine varsity players, the District 5 regular-season champions will choose to dwell on the season??™s positive things.

???This was a team that played tough, played together and won some games they were not supposed to win,??? Moore said. ???I felt like the last few weeks of the season tested their character more than it tested their ability or skills. They came in and played with heart and character, and that says a lot about those ladies. We also have no seniors. I know that??™s what??™s going to help me when I wake up in the morning.???

CUMBERLAND COUNTY 73, CLEVELAND 67

Cumberland 16 20 11 26 ??” 73

Cleveland 23 10 18 16 ??” 67

Cumberland County (73) ??” Swafford 2, Taylor Williams 27, Bargayo 8, Hyder 5, Mandy Moss 21, Green 4, Vaden 2, Regan 4.

Cleveland (67) ??” Jessica King 20, Delay 4, Q??™Schara Brown 14, Heather Finnell 16, Latham 5, Smith 8.

3-point goals: Cumberland 8 (Williams 4, Moss 3, Hyder); Cleveland 1 (King). Records: Cumberland 20-12; Cleveland 23-8.

WALKER VALLEY 61, BRADLEY CENTRAL 43

Bradley Central 7 8 11 17 ??” 43

Walker Valley 12 15 19 15 ??” 61

Bradley Central (43) ??” Eldridge 9, Maples, Ervin 5, Katie Davis 16, Pippenger 6, Atkins, Formont 7, Beavers, McCracken, Willis.

Walker Valley (61) ??” Lacey Allen 11, Brooke Hamby 22, Brownfield 8, Whitehead 2, White 2, Gobble 5, Moreland 9, Sewell 2.

3-point goals: Bradley 3 (Eldridge, Formont, Davis); Walker Valley 8 (Allen 3, Brownfield 2, Hamby 2, Moreland). Other highlights: Laura Whitehead, Kayla Sewell 9 r each; Allen 5 s (WV). Records: Walker Valley 29-3; Bradley 19-12.

So the Substate for Regions 3 and 4 has been won. Blackman of Murfreesboro and Cookeville with fight for the region 4 Championship and Walker Valley and Cumberland High School of Crossville will battle for the top slot in Region 3, both on Wednesday. The game for the Region 3 will be in Cleveland and the game for Region 4 will be at Blackman high School in Murfreesboro.

Cumberland High School was led by Taylor Williams with 27 and Mandy Moss with 21 while Walker valley was led by Brooke Hamby with 22 and Lucy Allen with 11.

A few comments on last nights games:

1. Two great wins last night! If you were able to poll everyone that has filled out a bracket, I would wager that at least 90% picked Shelbyville and Riverdale. If for no other reason than name recognition.

2. Great atmoshpere at Blackman, but I found it odd that Cookeville was expected to sit in the Blackman student section across from our bench. Maybe it's because we don't have a large following. We actually sat behind our bench in the Blackman section.

3. The officiating in both games was constistant, consistantly horrendous! It looked like I was watching summer AAU ball.

4. I will give her the benefit of the doubt, but it sure didn't look good when Maxwell walked by Hibdon without shaking his hand. He extended it across the line and she either didn't see it or choose to ignore it.

5. Barbee is going to be a great player and she has at least one VERY vocal fan. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />