Mitchell moves to 5A in football.

Galilee

If I have things figured correctly, Mitchell will now be in a league with Melrose and East and PLUS they will still have to play 6A Whitehaven, White Station, Wooddale and possibly Central as they are the other teams in the "new district". If I understand the playoff setup as it has been mentioned, the top 6A and 5A teams make the playoffs and for every two teams that you have in a league, one of them will make the playoffs. After that, they will take wild cards. That is a tough way to go for Mitchell if this is indeed the way the league is set up.

If I have things figured correctly, Mitchell will now be in a league with Melrose, East and Fairley PLUS they will still have to play 6A Whitehaven, White Station, Wooddale and possibly Central as they are the other teams in the "new district". If I understand the playoff setup as it has been mentioned, the top 6A and 5A teams make the playoffs and for every two teams that you have in a league, one of them will make the playoffs. After that, they will take wild cards. That is a tough way to go for Mitchell if this is indeed the way the league is set up.

You have a better understanding of how things work then what I do. I am still confused.

This is a move we discussed the last 3 years. My thought has not changed, we are not ready. It is an entire different world from 3A to 5A. We had a chance to win the state in 3A next year but not in 5A.. I feel sorry for the kids. This move was not about them.

Galilee:

I just read in the Commercial Appeal that Mitchell CHOSE to move up? Oh my goodness! WHY?

Galilee:

I just read in the Commercial Appeal that Mitchell CHOSE to move up? Oh my goodness! WHY?

Just a guess but it may have something to do with the size of their gates against the larger schools. The additional $ could be used to help fund other sports. Again - totally a guess.

For the dollars. We are doing well in football from the gate. We at least break even every year. WE would make more money playing 6A schools but we are ready to compete at that level.

If Mitchell isn't ready to compete at this level, couldn't that strategy blow up in Mitchell's face should the football team be over-matched in it's region play? Will folks pay money to watch Mitchell lose? I hope this move doesn't backfire on the Mitchell athletics, especially the football team.

KWC,

You need to apply for my old position. That has been my argument for the last 3 years. The fans not coming is only part of it. We worked too hard to get our program to a good level and moving up will hurt it very much. The athletes do not deserve this.

I concur with your statement 100%. The last thing Mitchell should want is player apathy. Playing against teams that you are overmatched against will do just that. No one wants to HAVE to play against teams with more depth, week in and week out. The way it is now at Mitchell they get a shot at the big boys in non region games, but when it comes to region play, they battle against schools their size where they have a chance at sucess. Why not keep the current format? Play the bigger schools in non region games and make money like that and still be competetive in region play? At least give the players a shot at post season play. I don't know ... Maybe I'm missing something.