2A AP Poll - 10/27

Guest nwtnsports

I think that GP and CPA are both having a down years and neither deserves to be in the top ten. Does LC deserve to be in the top 50? Time will tell, but I do know that we??™ve beaten everyone we??™ve played (good and bad). I will give you the fact that both play a decent schedule. The truth is the teams that GP has defeated average winning 2 games each this year. They have a couple of bad losses, one to PJP (3-7) and the other to McGavock. MG is a 4 and 5 team that beat them by 3 TDs and I watched PPJ tie Lawrence County in a jamboree. I kind of thought that CPA would be better, but their victories have come against teams with 1.5 average wins with a total of 9. At least GP has 1 quality win in Ravenwood who has played most everyone on their schedule close (good teams and bad). Ezell scored the most pts. of their season against GP. I??™m not saying this to run these schools down, heaven knows they??™ve been a thorn in LC side since 1980. The fact is even in this down year, we or any other public, will have to play very well to beat them. Part of the problem is people like Fviewallday gets ABC envy and keeps them up on a pedestal even when they don??™t earn it. Players and coaches buy into it and you lose end up losing games that you could have won. That was the case for LC in 1995 when we lost 17-14. It took being down 14-0 at half for us to realize that a lot of hype had went on by the Fviewallday??™s of the world before we believed that we could play with them. It was too little too late and we lost and they won the state championship. Give them their dues when they earn it, but not because they play good teams??¦??¦ who beat them. It??™s hard enough to take ours and battle all theirs that they round up without creating a monster in the closet.

ddaddy

We have a fundamental disagreement that will not be solved until weeks 2 and 3 of the playoffs then. Having seen all of the teams play this season that are in question, I simply cannot say that GP/CPA don't belong in the top 5. Based on This year, not years past, not based on any envy I have over the private schools(having coached against them it's more like a deep resentment).

I know they can be beat, just as I believe Alcoa can be kept from a fifth consecutive title this year. I recall a very good GP team in '05 getting beat 49-46 by East Robertson(Tico) during the regular season then making it to the boro to get stomped by Alcoa. I'm not giving undue credit. Based on occurences from THIS season alone do I base my opinions.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ddaddy

We have a fundamental disagreement that will not be solved until weeks 2 and 3 of the playoffs then. Having seen all of the teams play this season that are in question, I simply cannot say that GP/CPA don't belong in the top 5. Based on This year, not years past, not based on any envy I have over the private schools(having coached against them it's more like a deep resentment).

I know they can be beat, just as I believe Alcoa can be kept from a fifth consecutive title this year. I recall a very good GP team in '05 getting beat 49-46 by East Robertson(Tico) during the regular season then making it to the boro to get stomped by Alcoa. I'm not giving undue credit. Based on occurences from THIS season alone do I base my opinions.

I truly appreciate your point. Since you have coach against them you do understand that most of the time they have the advantage with the players they bring in. Your players and ours know this and get caught up in it to the point where we don't play as well against them as we could. Part of this is consistancy on their part and part of it is the ABC hype by media, coaches and teams. I too have been going against them since the late 70's and I felt that same hype. As a matter of fact if you coached at FV I probably went against you a time or two. A few years ago GP handed it to us pretty good, I like most everyone else thought they were almost unbeatable. Until the game got going and I realized that we all had build them up bigger then the good team that they were. All I'm saying is this; give them their dues but be realistic about it. I'm sure that you've coach a team that played someone and wasn't given a chance only to come out on top at the end of the game. You left the game think they wasn't as good a they were built up to be, am I right? Unlike you I believe that LC would have beaten a team or two that they lost to. Also like you I saw one of the teams play that they lost to and thought they were very average. We are not going to agree, but I will close by saying this you know as a coach that if you don't think you can beat someone................... you can't.

I truly appreciate your point. Since you have coach against them you do understand that most of the time they have the advantage with the players they bring in. Your players and ours know this and get caught up in it to the point where we don't play as well against them as we could. Part of this is consistancy on their part and part of it is the ABC hype by media, coaches and teams. I too have been going against them since the late 70's and I felt that same hype. As a matter of fact if you coached at FV I probably went against you a time or two. A few years ago GP handed it to us pretty good, I like most everyone else thought they were almost unbeatable. Until the game got going and I realized that we all had build them up bigger then the good team that they were. All I'm saying is this; give them their dues but be realistic about it. I'm sure that you've coach a team that played someone and wasn't given a chance only to come out on top at the end of the game. You left the game think they wasn't as good a they were built up to be, am I right? Unlike you I believe that LC would have beaten a team or two that they lost to. Also like you I saw one of the teams play that they lost to and thought they were very average. We are not going to agree, but I will close by saying this you know as a coach that if you don't think you can beat someone................... you can't.

I agree with you ddaddy. Smaller rural schools do tend to put the ABC's on a pedastal. Hopefully, this years Panther team can understand how good THEY ARE and not worry about how good someone else MIGHT BE. Goodpasture, CPA, and others like them have earned their respect over and over in the past. Now its time for Lewis County to do the same.

Let me start by saying I respect all high school coaches who, for the most part, are dedicated, hard working, underpaid servants for the kids and community.

I firmly believe after watching HS football for over 30 years that the #1 key to a winning program is the coaching, followed by team speed, then aggressiveness. Talent and size win at the college and pro level, but they are not the keys to winning in HS - coaching is the key.

That, IMO, is why the privates do so well. They have great coaching with great offensive and defensive schemes that are hard to beat when you have not faced anything like it all year, and have relied on athletic ability and size to win games.

That is why teams like GP, USJ, Boyd, and CPA with small enrollments and small numbers on their squad can get multiplied, moved to a higher division, and still beat larger schools with more and bigger players.

Sophisticated offensive and defensive schemes and well coached, fundamentally sound players will beat smashmouth football at the high school level.

I predict a private will meet Alcoa in the semis, and either a private or Milan will be in the Boro.

Let me start by saying I respect all high school coaches who, for the most part, are dedicated, hard working, underpaid servants for the kids and community.

I firmly believe after watching HS football for over 30 years that the #1 key to a winning program is the coaching, followed by team speed, then aggressiveness. Talent and size win at the college and pro level, but they are not the keys to winning in HS - coaching is the key.

That, IMO, is why the privates do so well. They have great coaching with great offensive and defensive schemes that are hard to beat when you have not faced anything like it all year, and have relied on athletic ability and size to win games.

That is why teams like GP, USJ, Boyd, and CPA with small enrollments and small numbers on their squad can get multiplied, moved to a higher division, and still beat larger schools with more and bigger players.

Sophisticated offensive and defensive schemes and well coached, fundamentally sound players will beat smashmouth football at the high school level.

I predict a private will meet Alcoa in the semis, and either a private or Milan will be in the Boro.

I don't totally disagree with you and you seem very respectful and I will attempt to be as well. Without good coaching there is no doubt that you can't win the big games. We have all seen the team with the better players lose because of the lack of coaching. To say that the reason the privates wins consistently is because of superior coaching is not a valid point. Many private coaches in the past have coached at public schools without the same results. I assure you that there are many publics who are getting absolutely the best they can get from the players that they have without the same results. With that being said I will give the privates the advantage as whole with the entire staff. How many 2A schools do you see with as many x-pro and x-former major college players, or even former college coaches on their coaching staff? They can do this because they have resources that the publics don??™t have. The main reason they do so well is players. Players who can run the type schemes you alluded to. Fact, how many DI players has CPA had since their conception? Compare that number to all the publics the same size and you will see the discrepancy. Good players allow good coaches to be good. Great players allow good coaches to be great!

I don't totally disagree with you and you seem very respectful and I will attempt to be as well. Without good coaching there is no doubt that you can't win the big games. We have all seen the team with the better players lose because of the lack of coaching. To say that the reason the privates wins consistently is because of superior coaching is not a valid point. Many private coaches in the past have coached at public schools without the same results. I assure you that there are many publics who are getting absolutely the best they can get from the players that they have without the same results. With that being said I will give the privates the advantage as whole with the entire staff. How many 2A schools do you see with as many x-pro and x-former major college players, or even former college coaches on their coaching staff? They can do this because they have resources that the publics don??™t have. The main reason they do so well is players. Players who can run the type schemes you alluded to. Fact, how many DI players has CPA had since their conception? Compare that number to all the publics the same size and you will see the discrepancy. Good players allow good coaches to be good. Great players allow good coaches to be great!

We will have to agree to disagree. I do not believe CPA (my team) has more athletes in their student pool in a given year than a public school with twice as many students, and I never will believe that. I do agree with your statement:"Players who can run the type schemes you alluded to. " But why can they run the schemes? Because of good coaching, which is exactly my point. That is why some publics like Smyrna, Maryville, South Pittsburgh consistently succeed against schools their same size- great coaching. There are DI type-athletes that attend all schools that are never developed to their potential for many reasons.

I sense you continue to believe we recruit these super athletes away from the publics. That is not the case, but I have read enough posts on Coach T to understand you will never accept that fact. The DI athletes we have had all went to CPA throughout gradeschool before anyone knew they would be great players.

You say: "Good players allow good coaches to be good. Great players allow good coaches to be great!" I say that in high school: "Good coaches help athletes become good players. Great coaches develop great teams with what they have."

Actually the public 2a schools have produced more DI players than the small privates. And, respectfully, you have it in reverse. Good coaches allow average players to be good. Great coaches allow average players to be great. Show me the best player in the state, let him play for some of the people who pass themselves off as coaches but don't have a clue, and he'll still look good but not as good. Show me a pretty good player and put him in with a great coach and he'll look like one of the best in the state.

p.s. You are also wrong about the level of Football played vs. coaching ability. They have nothing to do with each other. Coaching is learned from the ground up by coaching and being coached by other coaches, not by playing. Some of the worst coaches I've ever known were x-DI or x-NFL players. Good guys, great athletes, not great coaches. On the other hand some of the best coaches I know didn't play in college at all...but they learned how to coach from great coaches.

Actually the public 2a schools have produced more DI players than the small privates. And, respectfully, you have it in reverse. Good coaches allow average players to be good. Great coaches allow average players to be great. Show me the best player in the state, let him play for some of the people who pass themselves off as coaches but don't have a clue, and he'll still look good but not as good. Show me a pretty good player and put him in with a great coach and he'll look like one of the best in the state.

p.s. You are also wrong about the level of Football played vs. coaching ability. They have nothing to do with each other. Coaching is learned from the ground up by coaching and being coached by other coaches, not by playing. Some of the worst coaches I've ever known were x-DI or x-NFL players. Good guys, great athletes, not great coaches. On the other hand some of the best coaches I know didn't play in college at all...but they learned how to coach from great coaches.

Good post, Baldcoach. Looks like your BB gang is having a great year, and could end up playing Alcoa in the playoffs. Good luck.

We will have to agree to disagree. I do not believe CPA (my team) has more athletes in their student pool in a given year than a public school with twice as many students, and I never will believe that. I do agree with your statement:"Players who can run the type schemes you alluded to. " But why can they run the schemes? Because of good coaching, which is exactly my point. That is why some publics like Smyrna, Maryville, South Pittsburgh consistently succeed against schools their same size- great coaching. There are DI type-athletes that attend all schools that are never developed to their potential for many reasons.

I sense you continue to believe we recruit these super athletes away from the publics. That is not the case, but I have read enough posts on Coach T to understand you will never accept that fact. The DI athletes we have had all went to CPA throughout gradeschool before anyone knew they would be great players.

You say: "Good players allow good coaches to be good. Great players allow good coaches to be great!" I say that in high school: "Good coaches help athletes become good players. Great coaches develop great teams with what they have."

Your point is well made and one that I appreciate. Athletes are athletes whether they have been at your school for 12 years or just arrived. If you think that your staff is making non DI players into DI players then you are giving them way too much credit. Now don??™t get me wrong you have great coaches, just not miracle workers. They will not talk a kid of average size and speed and turn them into something they are now. Will they get the most out of them, yes? Cooper Wallace was able to be a DI player because of his mother and father and the jeans they past down to him. Can you list the players that CPA has had go DI in the past 10 years? How many of them would not have been DI at Camden, Lewis Co., or Westmoreland?