Centennial @ Gallatin

ambiguousrock

Congrats to the Cougars. Heck of game you gave tonight. Yours fans are very classy no problems from my area.

My hats off to all 25 of our seniors. Thanks for a great season.

Thanks also to the entire team for the sweat and blood and dedication that made this season a success. 8-2 regular season record. You guys came along way from last years 4-6. I'm very proud of you.

Gallatin returns several starters next year and a very talented group of freshman. The future of Green Wave football looks very bright indeed.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to the Cougars. Heck of game you gave tonight. Yours fans are very classy no problems from my area.

My hats off to all 25 of our seniors. Thanks for a great season.

Thanks also to the entire team for the sweat and blood and dedication that made this season a success. 8-2 regular season record. You guys came along way from last years 4-6. I'm very proud of you.

Gallatin returns several starters next year and a very talented group of freshman. The future of Green Wave football looks very bright indeed.

Congrats green wave on a great season., I ask wave fans was scales as advertised

You said wave talented frosh team I must have been sleepin cause I saw them lose by 40 to beech

Amsrock you should work for 104.5 the zone

Gallatin's onside kick...and Drew gets it, Centennial ball with just over 2 minutes left.

2nd and 8 for Centennial, Gallatin just used their last time out, 1:51 left to play.

CHAZ SCALES 70 YARD TOUCHDOWN RUN, CENTENNIAL LEADS NOW 20-6!!!

This article and stats outlined how CHS really dominated the game.

Green Wave suffer 20-6 defeat in first round

By Cecil Joyce ??? The News Examiner ??? November 8, 2008

Post a CommentRecommend Print this page E-mail this article Share Del.icio.us

Facebook

Digg

Reddit

Newsvine

Buzz up! Centennial was in the giving mood in the first half of Friday night??™s Class 5A first-round playoff contest at Gallatin.

In the second half all the Cougars gave were big plays.

Centennial racked up 489 yards of offense and held Gallatin to just two field goals in a 20-6 win over the Green Wave.

The loss ends Gallatin??™s season at 8-3.

???We knew they had a lot of speed, but they had too many big runs on us,??? said Gallatin Coach Robert Lassiter. ???But, we did nothing on offense, and that really hurt us.???

Centennial (8-3) outgained Gallatin by almost 250 yards.

???Our coaches had a great (defensive) game plan,??? said Centennial Coach Mark Matykiewicz. ???We just wanted to try to contain them and keep them in front of us. Our focus was tackling, and we did that exceptionally well.???

Centennial gained more than 200 yards of offense in the first half, but two turnovers and 70 yards in penalties hurt the Cougars as the two teams were tied 3-3 at halftime.

???We were stunned,??? said Centennial??™s Tony Kemp, who rushed for 87 yards on six carries and caught a pass for 14 yards. ???They came out in a (3-3 stack) and shut us down. Coach just said to keep our heads up and we??™ll win the game.???

The second half belonged to the Cougars, who were the beneficiaries of getting the kickoff to begin both halves, thanks to a coin toss miscue by Gallatin prior to the game. The Green Wave erroneously elected to ???kick??? instead of ???defer??? after winning the toss.

Kemp??™s 51-yard scamper set up a 3-yard touchdown run by quarterback Chaz Scales to put the visitors in front 10-3.

Scales ripped off a 66-yard run late in the quarter to set up a 25-yard field goal by Austin Bass (his second of the night) to make the score 13-3.

Gallatin??™s defense came up with a goalline stand with 6:29 left in the contest and drove from the 3 all the way to the Cougar 25 before settling for a field goal with just two minutes remaining.

The Green Wave also used two of their three timeouts on the drive, forcing them to go for an onside kick after James Satterfield??™s 43-yard field goal.

Centennial recovered the kick and Scales sealed the win with a 70-yard touchdown run.

???They see this every week in their league,??? said Gallatin Coach Robert Lassiter. ???They??™re very athletic and good up front on offense and defense. They just made too many big plays on us.???

Scales finished with 170 yards 13 carries and also passed for 89 yards.

???He??™s special,??? said Matykiewicz, whose signal caller has gained more than 1,000 yards both rushing and passing this year. ???As he goes, our team goes.???

Gallatin quarterback Cody Matthews was just 7-of-29 passing for 99 yards. He did lead the Green Wave in rushing, gaining 102 yards on 20 carries.

Centennial 0 3 10 7 ??“ 20

Gallatin 0 3 0 3 ??“ 6

C-Austin Bass 31 field goal

G-James Satterfield 38 field goal

C-Chaz Scales 3 run (Bass kick)

C-Bass 25 field goal

G-Satterfield 43 field goal

C-Scales 70 run (Bass kick)

C G

First downs 16 15

Rushing 38-376 32-152

Passing 9-15-1 7-29-1

Passing yards 113 99

Penalties 9-95 1-5

Fumbles 1-1 0-0

Punting 2-39 5-40

Individual Statistics

Rushing

Centennial: Chaz Scales 13-170, Ray-Mond Jackson 19-119, Tony Kemp 6-87. Gallatin: Cody Matthews 20-102, Sanchez Holder 9-42, Pierre Cloud 3-8.

Passing

Centennial: Chaz Scales 8-14-1 89, Tony Kemp 1-1-0 24. Gallatin: Cody Matthews 7-29-1 99.

Receiving

Centennial: Drew Kelly 2-17, Tim Harris 1-42, Chaz Scales 1-24, Tony Kemp 1-14, T.J. Leach 1-6, Joe Carpenter 1-4, Jacob Estrada 1-4, Justin Brothers 1-1. Gallatin: DeJeay Woods 2-47, Jonathan Woodard 2-32, Sanchez Holder 2-10, Ryan Critchelow 1-10.

Good win by Centennial last night. Gallatin had little answer to the speed of the Cougars. If you would have told me that Centennial would only have 20 points then I would have thought that Gallatin would have won the ballgame. However, Gallatin's passing game was off last night. The Wave had several dropped passes and several tipped passes and several passes that never found the open man. For whatever reason the offense had their worst outing of the year. But like Wave88 said 8-2 was a vast improvement and this group never gave up all year.

Congrats to the Cougars on the win. I was worried about the speed and it came to fruition. The kicker, Bass, was very impressive during warmups. I had heard on the radio that he had been coming to the kicking camp and that he knew Satterfield from there. I noticed a nice exchange between the two before the game started. For all the talk about ya'lls defense they really played well. Good luck to ya'll against Brentwood.