MBA @ MUS

3yardsandacloudofdust

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares who is considered the "underdog"? The bottom line is that this is a matchup of two of the best teams in the state of Tennessee regardless of class, and it promises to be a great game.

Seriously. People who follow HS football know who Moeller and Olive Branch are. People who follow high school football realize there is no reason for all this MUS is the underdog talk. MBA knows what MUS is about, and MUS knows what MBA is about...I guess that's what matters. It's going to be a well played, well coached, and hard hitting affair on Friday night. Whoever makes the least mistakes will win this one.

Specifically, what do you mean? What makes the MUS schedule a "tough" one? Melrose and Olive Branch?

The points are laid out very clearly. Facts is facts.

You are free to try to refute them point-by-point (opponent won-loss, quality of opponent, playing smaller schools, beating up on ECS, BCS, CBHS, etc.)

I believe MBA and MUS grads would prefer that you type "Facts are facts", as "facts" is plural

MUS 24 MBA 20.

I'll concede that MBA has played a more difficult schedule than MUS has played this year....obviously, MBA plays the more difficult set of DII schools which reside within its region. No doubt that in a game-by-game comparison the Big Red ran the more difficult guantlet finishing with an impressive 9-1 record. Kudos.

That said, how does that allow one to prognosticate an MBA victory. We aren't arguing the BCS here (where, by the way, SOS only in the most rare of scenarios outweighs a loss). In that vein, the only context under which it would be appropriate to discuss SOS would be in order to validate ranking an undefeated Ensworth ahead of an undefeated MUS in the state polls.

I believe the idea here is to pick a winner and while SOS is relevant it is hardly controlling or even convincing.

Why I like MUS:

MUS plays at home with an experienced Rivals top250 Junior QB at the helm. Moreover, MUS is healthy and has its full complement of wide receivers for only the third or fourth week in a row. MUS has three running backs capable of rushing over 100 yards. The MUS defense has been salty all year long, holding Olive Branch with its 5 D I college athletes and 310lbs+ offensive line in check for 4 gut-wrenching quarters and holding Kingsbury's all-world running back/ Ole Miss signee Gabriel Hunter to 27 yards rushing before he was hurt in the third quarter. MUS has a great punter and a solid Field goal kicker.

Since both teams execute extremely well at every phase of the game, this game is going to come down to a couple of plays. I think D and Special teams are a toss up but I think MUS has more playmakers on offense and a better QB. I think MUS wins a close one at home. Finally, I think the winner of this game wins STATE.

Whether or not MUS has a better QB is certainly arguable: Spencer Wise is completing over 70% of his passes with close to 2,000 yards and a 20/3 TD/INT ratio...he is also very savvy on the move and is capable of making great plays via play-action

Brunetti is said to make mental mistakes from time to time, Wise will not hurt his team like that.

Whether or not MUS has a better QB is certainly arguable: Spencer Wise is completing over 70% of his passes with close to 2,000 yards and a 20/3 TD/INT ratio...he is also very savvy on the move and is capable of making great plays via play-action

Brunetti is said to make mental mistakes from time to time, Wise will not hurt his team like that.

Agreed that Brunetti makes mistakes, but the kid is a gamechanger both throwing and running. Whether or not MBA can contain the read option is the key to the game. Tilman and McBride are track guys and its tough to stop all of them. Although it was game 1, Melrose's speed allowed them to bottle them up and force mistakes. If they had a kicker they would have won. I've watched the Big Red a couple of times and they don't appear to have enough speed at LB to stay with MUS. MBA clearly has more size, but MUS has the speed. I think the Big Red gets beat by Taylor Reed over the top for the gamewinner late - Owls 24 MBA 20

MUS also has a back-up QB who is the most efficient passer in DII. Granted, he doesn't get the on-field time that Brunetti or Wise get, but when he's there, he's deadly accurate.

It's too bad these two teams landed on the same side of the bracket...would have made for an outstanding title game.

Agreed that Brunetti makes mistakes, but the kid is a gamechanger both throwing and running. Whether or not MBA can contain the read option is the key to the game. Tilman and McBride are track guys and its tough to stop all of them. Although it was game 1, Melrose's speed allowed them to bottle them up and force mistakes. If they had a kicker they would have won. I've watched the Big Red a couple of times and they don't appear to have enough speed at LB to stay with MUS. MBA clearly has more size, but MUS has the speed. I think the Big Red gets beat by Taylor Reed over the top for the gamewinner late - Owls 24 MBA 20

Speed at LB? Fitx Lassing runs around a 4.6 and Jaques runs about a 4.8. Bars at DE runs close to a 4.7 too. Fitz and Jauques are also 200+ pounds. Thats some speed and size.