John Jenkins

TARHEEL30

Jenkins is by far the more polished player as a high school senior, and he's going to considered better because the obvious thing that most people notice is the fact that he is putting up a ton of points for his team. Jenkins is no doubt the better scorer, though his game still needs improvement. He doesn't handle the ball very much or very well. He's a catch and shoot guy, or will take one dribble and either get to the rim or pull back for the jumper.

Brewer had to take a lot more shots to get his points. Brewer's defensive ability was light years ahead of where Jenkins' is.

The similarity is that both had little support around them. That freedom got both of them a lot of attention. I would anticipate Jenkins being a McDonald's All-American, as was Brewer.

I have no doubt that Jenkins can be really good at Vanderbilt. The question is his height. Can he be as effective shooting the ball at the next level when the other SEC teams may very well run a 6-7 kid at him with long arms to try to limit his looks. Jenkins will still get his shot off because of his release point. However, it's different shooting over a 6-2 kid in high school as opposed to a 6-7 kid with length in college. I hope Jenkins is unfazed and tears it up.

The other thing that was way more in Brewer's corner rather than Jenkins is the fact that Brewer had way more upside entering college than does Jenkins. Jenkins will get better. Nobody doubts that. However, Brewer made huge strides each year, and if this current knee injury isn't a major setback in his development, he may still continue to drastically improve in the NBA.

Will Jenkins play in the NBA? Who knows the answer to that question. Nobody can tell that for sure at this point. People can only say that they feel that he is capable of reaching that level. Very few get that opportunity though. Brewer is 6-8 or 6-9. Jenkins is 6-4 or 6-5. That's a major difference. However, people don't understand just how well Jenkins shoots the basketball. His right hand may get him there.

BREWER HAD A TON OF TALENT AROUND HIM HIS SOPH AND JUNIOR SEASONS BUT NOT MUCH HIS SENIOR SEASON AND JENKINS HAS HAD GOOD TALENT AROUND HIM HIS 1ST 3 YEARS BUT NOT MUCH THIS YEAR.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jenkins is by far the more polished player as a high school senior, and he's going to considered better because the obvious thing that most people notice is the fact that he is putting up a ton of points for his team. Jenkins is no doubt the better scorer, though his game still needs improvement. He doesn't handle the ball very much or very well. He's a catch and shoot guy, or will take one dribble and either get to the rim or pull back for the jumper.

Brewer had to take a lot more shots to get his points. Brewer's defensive ability was light years ahead of where Jenkins' is.

The similarity is that both had little support around them. That freedom got both of them a lot of attention. I would anticipate Jenkins being a McDonald's All-American, as was Brewer.

I have no doubt that Jenkins can be really good at Vanderbilt. The question is his height. Can he be as effective shooting the ball at the next level when the other SEC teams may very well run a 6-7 kid at him with long arms to try to limit his looks. Jenkins will still get his shot off because of his release point. However, it's different shooting over a 6-2 kid in high school as opposed to a 6-7 kid with length in college. I hope Jenkins is unfazed and tears it up.

The other thing that was way more in Brewer's corner rather than Jenkins is the fact that Brewer had way more upside entering college than does Jenkins. Jenkins will get better. Nobody doubts that. However, Brewer made huge strides each year, and if this current knee injury isn't a major setback in his development, he may still continue to drastically improve in the NBA.

Will Jenkins play in the NBA? Who knows the answer to that question. Nobody can tell that for sure at this point. People can only say that they feel that he is capable of reaching that level. Very few get that opportunity though. Brewer is 6-8 or 6-9. Jenkins is 6-4 or 6-5. That's a major difference. However, people don't understand just how well Jenkins shoots the basketball. His right hand may get him there.

From seeing Jenkins play over the summer a little with Brewer, I can tell you that Jenkins will be just fine when teams run 6'7" defenders his direction. You are right about his release point; it is high enough for him to raise shots over longer arms. But the other thing is that his release is so quick that unless a defender sits in his pocket, the shot will get off, and he moves around too much for someone to always be there. But you are right, it will be fun to see if he can produce against those bigger bodies night in and night out.

And to touch on a comment somewhere in this post about Brewer not being able to take over games like Jenkins... I have to disagree. Jenkins can score in bunches like no one that has played in this area in a long time, but Brewer could change every aspect of a team's offense when he was on the defensive side - the ability to alter shots, change passing angles, lock down top players... you don't get stats for those, but trust me, he took over plenty of games on the side that doesn't get printed in the paper. I won't say one is better than the other, but the ability to dominate is something neither player lacks (lacked).

From seeing Jenkins play over the summer a little with Brewer, I can tell you that Jenkins will be just fine when teams run 6'7" defenders his direction. You are right about his release point; it is high enough for him to raise shots over longer arms. But the other thing is that his release is so quick that unless a defender sits in his pocket, the shot will get off, and he moves around too much for someone to always be there. But you are right, it will be fun to see if he can produce against those bigger bodies night in and night out.

And to touch on a comment somewhere in this post about Brewer not being able to take over games like Jenkins... I have to disagree. Jenkins can score in bunches like no one that has played in this area in a long time, but Brewer could change every aspect of a team's offense when he was on the defensive side - the ability to alter shots, change passing angles, lock down top players... you don't get stats for those, but trust me, he took over plenty of games on the side that doesn't get printed in the paper. I won't say one is better than the other, but the ability to dominate is something neither player lacks (lacked).

When I was a freshman at Harpeth, we played Portland(Brewer's senior year), and yes he was everything advertised at the high school level. He had 50, with some seriously nasty dunks. Shane Dansby(Harpeth/Belmont/Travelers) who was an AAU teammate of Brewer's put up 35. It was one fun game to watch that is for sure. And Jenkins/Brewer being debated about who is better is a feat in itself.

Larry is a White House Fan supposedly. He should be whereever WH is playing.

YES IM A WHITE HOUSE FAN BUT I LIKE STATION CAMP ALSO OR ANY OTHER TEAM IN OUR DISTRICT. BUT YOU HAVE TOO HAND IT TO JJ . HES WORKED HIS TAIL OFF TO GET WHERE HE IS. I THOUGHT EVERYONE MIGHT WANT TO KEEP UP WITH HIS SCORING AVERAGE. I MEAN HOW OFTEN DO YOU HAVE SOMEONE WHO AVERAGES IN THE 40'S ? WHITE HOUSE AND STATION CAMP PLAY SOON. WHITE HOUSE'S RECORD IS BAD BUT THEY'VE PLAYED SOME TOUGH TEAMS. THOSE 2 TEAMS SHOULD COMPETE FOR THE DISTICT TITLE AGAIN THIS YEAR.

I just got home from Hickman Co.... John Jenkins is the absolute truth and will be a professional player one day. I was amazed at how calm he stayed during the first half after scoring only 7 points in the first half (all coming in the 1st quarter). After half time he started to show out and get a few jams in and absolutely dominated Harding Academy. I'm a Jenkins fan for sure! I've seen film on youtube, but seeing him in person was a whole other story. It was well worth the 2 hour and 15 minute drive up there and it was even worth driving through the deadly curves of Bucksnort to get there!!!!!! Keep it up Jenkins, you're the real deal!!!!!!